How many people here are prepared for an emergency?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do people not know how to clean spots under a faucet now? I was taught how to do that when young. If you get it right away it doesn't stain usually.

And then mom or grandma would put the shirt with a damp spot back on us. It will dry.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
with the advent of dryers, laundry became something of a "non-task". What gets me is the number of people I know who run the water constantly in the kitchen sink. My mother in law bought one of those hands free faucets which seems like a good idea, although I don't like the newer motion sensor types (hers is a wand type where you push the wand with your glass or whatever to get the water to flow)

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We generally have NO shortage of water (and mud) here, but we have a few water collection devices anyway. Some years back we did have a drought so severe that some folks who had wells were having problems with them drying up. Our well is much deeper, and we've never had that problem but it happened to some neighbors. We have several of those big 275 gallon totes full and a hot tub and a pond. The pond has gotten pretty shallow a few times but hasn't dried totally up in the 10 years or so it's been there. But, it could happen. My biggest fear regarding the well is that we have electricity to run the pump!

It is so disturbing to think someday we could turn the tap on and nothing would come out. :(

If that ever happens, it doesn't really matter what the person it happens to believes is the cause.

Al Gore and Donald Trump would be in the same boat (now THERE'S a picture), staring in disbelief at the taps.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do rainwater collection for the chickens. We have the two 30+ acre ponds and the steam that feeds them accessible if truly needed. And the needed filters needed to use them.

We had 5 days without power a few winters ago (so no well) and did fine. I constantly had ice and snow melting by the woodstove so birds could drink and we could shower. Well I'd fill one of those 2 gallon camp shower and hang it in the tub. We still have an ancient gravity fed septic so we could even flush with melted water.

I cooked on the wood stove since it was actually designed for the top to be used as a cooking surface. Soup and stews mostly, but steak and veggies one night. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Just extra work but we had little disruption.

How wonderful to have such water abundance! Are you east of the Cascades?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also have farm clothes and town clothes. I have my farm shoes and town shoes. Sometimes I forget to change shoes and go to town looking like a homeless person. LOL

YEP!! I've jumped into the truck without thinking about the clothes I was wearing while working in the dirt, barn, etc. Generally I suddenly "needed" something. AndI have a lot of really old clothes -- still good condition, just old. Still wear nicely. :) Fortunately haven't changed size in a long time.

Another problem is that I come home from work, hurrying to feed and wear my "good" shoes TO the barns. Bad girl. Most often happens if I stopped at feed store on way home &/or weather or daylight is pushing me.