How many people here are prepared for an emergency?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An emergency can consist of many different things. How ready are you for what may come your way? Any thoughts, any discussions about this? Anything that you have experienced lately that makes you think anything differently?

I am always up for discussion on this topic. Anyone else in the same boat?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well I thought I was prepared, but unemployment just makes everything so much more complicated than you can even imagine...well unless you have been, or are going through it, which a lot of folks are. Thankfully we stay pretty stocked around here on food and necessities and it's never too bad off the front end...though we got caught with our pants down this time in the cash on hand department. Honestly, is anyone EVER truly completely prepared? I knew this would come, just didn't know when, and was busy lining up my ducks when the crapstorm blew in without so much as a hint of bad weather to come. So, no, I am not prepared for any emergency, but I think we are prepared enough for most emergencies.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been focusing on water and food at home and cold-weather emergency items in the car. There are so many things that could happen... I'm just thinking about which are most likely. I'm trying to focus on just a few things at a time.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering what others on this forum thought about things. So far, in our area, we have dodged the weather bullet. Other than being colder than usual for this time of the year, nothing major. It sounds like other parts of the country haven't been so lucky. No power for days, etc. I am not sure that it is possible to be prepared for every emergency that could hit, but anything is better than nothing.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We're prepared for most anything except financial issues. Weather issues, we have done been through that lol! We almost lost power, but we had all the necessary components to not have to worry if we did. Some parts of the country have been hit pretty hard this year.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have enough gas stored to run the generator and freezers for a few weeks. Longer if we only start it up every few hours to kick on the compressors and keep the freezers cold.

We have plenty of food, blankets, and wood for us. I only have 15 gallons of water stored, but we are in a wet area. I can collect rain for our drinking just fine. The animals can be let out to drink out of the pond. I have enough animal food for a month. Longer if I make them go find their own food. The cats are good at catching rodents and I'm sure they'd eat them if they had to. The dogs eat all the rodents and wild birds except the rats.

We're good if it's a financial issue. We've planned ahead on that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We didn't get here from lack of financial planning either. Just a heads up, we thought we had that too, turns out we didn't. It only took a few years of this poor economy to land us here.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unless the government really screws over vets, we will always have a cushion. It's not something that everyone has. Makes up for those many years of us not really making to very well.

Latest posts