How many Thanksgiving dinners ...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
do you have to cook for?

I cook for two - my family's at noon and DH's family's at 4:30. It's not so bad this year since we get 4 1/2 hours between. Last year, it was 2 1/2.

I always start my cooking on Wednesday anyway. This year I'll do green beans, maybe corn and a pumkin sandwich cake (new recipe I want to try) for DH's. For my side, I'm doing sweet potato casserole, turkey breast and probably mini pecan pies. My Aunt is doing deer meet, but not everyone likes that, so I'm giving them another choice.

This is the first year in a long, long time that we won't be having Deep Fried Turkey :( The guy that usually does them for us isn't doing them again. I would do it, but the start up cost (fryer, oil & turkey) is expensive. So, I think I'll smoke mine.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Punkin...why do 2? are they both at your house? why not get everyone together for 1 dinner? just wondering.

for me, I cook 1 time.

Mom cooks a turkey and the usual and will go to her house on T-day to see my brother and his family....good times!

Then Fri. Tony's parents come to our house. I am making ribs and bbq chicken on the grill with sides. Tony's parents aren't "into" turkey...LOL...so it is what they want. No problem for me, Tony cooks that..LOL...so easy dinner.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I only cook one. I think we are going to my mom's this year, though, so I am only cooking the turkey and stuffing. Maybe a pie?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel for ya having to do that.....
We were supposed to have pizza this year......Now the hubby is saying his parents asked us over to their house for thanksgiving.

I echo FC.....why 2? But I know it is sometimes a problem to have everyone at my house at the sametime.....maybe good, maybe not so good, lol. Is that your case also?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sorry, should have been more clear. They aren't at my house. My family's is at my Aunt's house and MIL does the one for DH's side. I didn't mean it to sound as if we were the Hatfields & McCoys or anything.

Each side has always had their own traditions before we got married. Christmas Eve at MIL's house for that side and Christmas Morning for my side.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ok, now it makes sense. We are old enough now to have our traditions. That is why my comment. My parents can come to my house and we can all have a pretty good time. When you throw hubbys family into it, it just seems to be a little less relaxed.
So, no I do not make two or more meals or stuff for other peoples meals. I will make a pie ot two to take with us. I usually end up taking over certain things (like cleaning the kitchen up) when we get there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA Punkin
I kinda thought that but it read like you were an "open" kitchen all day in your home..LOL

cool!

Mom and Dad cook the turkey while me and SIL help with sides and stuff. not real cooking, just extra hands. Clean up is what we do best..LOL

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Just one meal here, also. Most of my family resides in south LA & MS, and I only have an aunt and a few cousins here, so we usually have about 12 to 15 people total. We also invite any friends that would be spending the holiday alone. This year we will have three added guests join us.

All of my wife's family lives elsewhere. Before moving here we would have two meals. My family would get together midday with 25 - 30 folks, hers in the evening with 20 - 25. I do miss seeing a lot of the family for the holidays (and a there are a few I don't miss), but the smaller groups are so much less hectic.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
HA HA HA Punkin
I kinda thought that but it read like you were an "open" kitchen all day in your home..LOL

cool!

Mom and Dad cook the turkey while me and SIL help with sides and stuff. not real cooking, just extra hands. Clean up is what we do best..LOL
I had rather cook anyday than cleanup...ugh!

And, an "open" kitchen! double ugh!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We are having everyone to my house...I cook the main dishes... turkey, mashed pots, stuffing (both in and out of the bird) & gravy, everyone else brings sides and desert. There should be about 16 of us this year.

Latest posts