How many use and appreciate.......

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
here are some pictures of onesI make and sell.
2971_dsc02194.jpg

2971_dsc02214.jpg

2971_dsc02193.jpg

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Marianne- " Okay, color me pink and rather embarrased by posting this! lol "
- Nothing to be embarrassed about. This is the place for people to get ideas on what working for others.
I made a whole bunch of menstrual pads last year with 2 or 3 layers of towel for the middle layers. If I ever need "pee pads" - I'll use them for it. Towel worked so well for the absorbent part, that I never needed any waterproof layer.

Goldenluver- Very cool looking pads. Wish I needed some more, cause I love that paisley. :thumbsup

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i just bought some from goldenluver so I'm not sure how they will work but i can't wait to try, as for the cloth tp I can't get DH to go for it and the kids just gave me a face:sick

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mlynd said:
i just bought some from goldenluver so I'm not sure how they will work but i can't wait to try, as for the cloth tp I can't get DH to go for it and the kids just gave me a face:sick
Do the family cloth for yourself then :)
DH does not use it, but guys use very little anyways, so the difference is all in my non usage.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might have to do that I 'will look for some flannel at the store and see how it goes anything to save some money and help the earth not to mentioned my pipes

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I more or less fell into this thread by accident :D
However, I think it sounds like a good idea, at least from a money saving aspect, and certainly from a less-bad-things-in-your-body aspect.

however, I am still unclear about something. are some of you saying that you use cloth for more than just wiping urine or menstrual flow? if so, how does that work? I'm trying to picture this and it just isn't working. Plus, I mentioned this to my SO and his response was "That is where I draw the line. I can barely stand to wipe myself with paper , I certainly ain't doing it with cloth! If I could pay someone to wipe for me I would gladly to it! That would be a deal breaker if you try it!" so I'm guessing irregardless we won't be doing this in our household anytime soon :rolleyes:

Also, goldenluver, I love the fact that not only do you make these for selling, you also model them(kinda)! That is awesome! :clap :thumbsup Kinda :gig but mainly :clap :)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mlynd said:
...as for the cloth tp I can't get DH to go for it and the kids just gave me a face:sick
Same here. No mind - I just use cloth myself. Funny thing is, I actually started using cloth before I ever knew anyone else did. I started saving #1 as a good nitrogen-rich fertilizer for my garden and compost, and collect it in a good ol' folgers plastic can sitting on the closed lid of the toilet. Well, that made using TP a little inconvenient because after wiping, where do I throw it? The toilet is closed so it can't go in there and I don't want to throw it in the trash. Aha, I thought, if I use a cloth towel and hang it on the shower door rail, that will no longer be a problem. So I bought a couple of microfiber washcloths from the dollar store (2 for $1) and rotate them.

For #2 I still use the toilet and TP. DH of course never used TP for #1 and the kids just gave me the rolleyes & sick face when I hinted at cloth for them too. Oh well, even if only I'm using cloth its still making a difference, right?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am the only one using cloth wipes in my household and you'd be amazed how much we save.
I use tp for #2 and when ther eis no tp I use the pages from a romance novel I read. They work quite well. I just tear out a page, crumple it up, wipe and toss in a lined cagbage bin. I use the cloth wipe for a final cleaning wipe and put that in the basket with the others. then all of those go in the wash with most everything else and line dried.
Not using tp has also helped with our pipes not getting clogged. Now if they do get clogged. SO knows I am not the one responsible, because I don't' flush wads of tp down the toilet :p

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
colowyo0809 ,

I use TP for the first pass after I poo. Then I get my cut up t-shirt rag, dampen it with water from the sink that's close enough that I can reach while sitting on the pot. And then finish wiping with that. I usually have to kinda refold to get a clean area on the cloth again.
Then I rinse poo rags out in the sink, give them a shot of foam soap to wash, rinse and then put the cloth into the coffee cannister that has water and a dab of vinegar. So yes, I do have to deal with a little poo. But it's very little. And since it's my own, it doesn't really bother me.

Although DH won't use cloth and is rather paranoid of poo, he's okay with me using cloth after he knew that everything got a prewash before it hit the laundry.

This thread is getting hilarious. Colowyo0809, sounds like your SO is more paranoid of poo than my husband is! :lol:

And FarmerDenise, I can echo your comment about who plugged the pot here! Now, there's no question - he still hasn't figured out that a 'courtesy flush' is sometimes needed - especially if you're using half a roll of TP to get the job done. I'm still cracking up! :lol:

Latest posts