How many use and appreciate.......

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hmmm.....something to think about for sure.
Has anyone else had success with homemade pads with a heavier flow like mine?

Ah crud....are y'all really gonna start me on some other life changing project?
I use PUL lined homemade pads, and at night I do sometimes have an accident - on day 1 and 2 I need to change often, at night I use a huge pad and when I know its gonna be bad, I use two :th

I have a diva cup as well, but find it very difficult to "place" in the correct spot apparently, and then I can't get it to pop open without gymnastic manuevers....... :barnie

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
You guys are convincing me in spite of myself. Hmmm, not the first time that's happened on here. Dace, imagine a flow like yours compacted into three or four days. I actually use overnight incontinence pads. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about doing this though. I might experiment a little and see.

The tp ascpect doesn't bother me in the least. I even got brave and brought it up with my husband. He vetoed the idea. It grossed him out. I don't think he realizes exactly how much of the kids' underwear goes into the wash, um, a bit damp. I'm not worried about it though. In about six months he'll come up to me with this "great idea" he came up with. ;)
Your DH and my SO must have gone to the same school :lol:
I find it works even better, if someone else mentions it in front of him :gig

I found diapers feel better to me than washcloths. It is easy to cut them into different sizes and zigzag stitch the cut edges. I made myself several for nighttime, some regular and some that would be the equivalent of light days pads. I used boy cut underwear especially with the larger pads. They really help them stay in place. No accidental slipping out incidents :ep I don't use any kind of fastener.

LetsBeSelfSufficient

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerDenise, I'm going to try the underwear/diaper thing too! I've been using Glad Rags, but I hate when they slip out of place.

I'm intrigued by the Family Cloth thing, but I'm also a little terrified.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This thread has got me looking at my kid's old baby blankets just a little bit differently. ;)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm making some cloth pads. Trying a few different styles to see what works for me and getting practice. Went to a friends to use her sewing machine tonight.
I was afraid she'd be weirded out, but she's got 4 of them cut and ready to stitch now. Looks like we are starting a trend.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to try and get a pattern cut out today. May even be able to get one made lol. Just wondering what hubby will think of the idea :D i guess when I tell him that this will save him lots of money each year he will be happy with it, I hope :p

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
dragonlaurel said:
Looks like we are starting a trend.
I have to admit I am amazed at how many on SS are using homemade versions!
I'm surprised, too! It's a very cool idea that had never even crossed my mind before. My more mainstream friends would *die* if I told them about this.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and report- I got my diva cup! I can't remember if it was this thread for sure that changed my mind.... but I was just thinking that cloth pads are so hard to wash with communal laundry facilities, etc. So far, I love the diva cup, btw. I think I'm a convert. And if this works out for night also, it will make travel SOOOOOOO much easier.

Yay! I love this forum! I'm pretty sure I say that at least once a week, but it's true!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I made about 10 pads of various styles to see what would work well for me. They are so much better than the disposables! I asked the neighbor guy to give me his (red plastic) coffee can when it was empty. He didn't ask what I wanted it for, which was good. :lol It's my soaking bucket. Hubby knows what it's for so he wont ever look inside.

Maybe I can put back the $ each month that the disposables would have cost. I'd like to try a cup and could have it that way.

Latest posts