How much are ya'll selling honey for now?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am in the process of robbing my hives and when I'm done, DH and I will pasturize and jar.
2 years ago, I decided I wouldn't sell my honey for any less than 7 dollars a pint jar...and at that, I thought I was cheating myself.
Well the owner of the feed store offered to sell it for me. He sold them 10 dollars a pint, gave me 8 and kept 2 for himself.
Okay....I know times are rough, but I've been busting my tail working to harvest this honey and I'm more leaning on the 10...and I can tell you that I won't be overpaid...not when you look at the work I am doing.
I have about 3 gallons so far and another 3 to 4 left to collect.
Anyone sell honey? I don't want to cheat anyone, but I for sure don't need to cheat myself. No one here knows what we paid for this equipment.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why would you pasterize??

I pay $30 for local (w/in 15 miles) raw honey. Its a pint believe? Or a quart? Prob a quart.

S

sunsaver

I've seen local honey anywhere from $10 to $15. I mostly see it at the farm and feed, or hardware stores. I would think if you can make a special claim like "lavender honey", or "organic", you would be able to charge more. Dont be dishonest, but say you have a citrus grove nearby. You could call it orange blossum honey. I'm not a bee expert, but i love honey. And real maple syrup. Oh god! I don't eat any sugar ever, but syrup, cold milk, and oats is the best breakfast in the world!:)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes! Make it named. I pesonally like the Santa Ynez Sage, but not wildflower blossom, yech!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I would also not pasteurize it- depending on your market. Raw honey sells for more to people who eat it for allergies. I don't remember how much I paid for a pint of raw from my bee guy who is selling us a nuc, but I think it was around $15.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
cuallaidh said:
I only buy raw honey, so I am with the others, don't pasteurize it.
Same. IMO, if you pasteurize it, you take away all the good things about it benig honey. = it would just be glorified sugar.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So this thread has made me so glad I got bees!!!

Very good info! Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You are not going to be happy with me but I buy local wildflower honey, raw, for $1.50 per pound.....in a 60 lb, five gallon pail.

I used to pay $6-10 per lb, though, a pound jar at a time.

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You are not going to be happy with me but I buy local wildflower honey, raw, for $1.50 per pound.....in a 60 lb, five gallon pail.

I used to pay $6-10 per lb, though, a pound jar at a time.
ya that's how I buy, but I think I pay almost $2/lbs depending on type, buying in bulk is way cheaper, I don't think this person is talking about selling 60 lbs per go though.