How much did you plant?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
How much have ya'll planted so far? We have about wrapped up planting, with the exception of the Sweet Taters, Carrots,and Pumpkins. I believe our garden is roughly 50 by 100.

-35 by 20 Potato Patch
-4 50 ft. Rows of 1/2 Runner Beans
-8 50 ft. Rows of Sweet Corn
-125 Tomato Plants
-100 Onion Plants
-8 Winter Squash Hills
-6 Summer Squash Hills
-3 Okra Hills
- 27 Broccoli Plants
-20 Cabbage Plants
-6 Hills of Watermelon
-6 Hills of Cucumbers
-6 Hills of Cantaloupe
-4 25 Rows of Sugar Snap Peas (Blooming heavily now)
-A Green Onion Bed mixed in with our Tater Onions
-12 Hills of Various Pole Beans

It is coming quite along :D

How about you guys? :pop

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, BB, tell me about the okra hills, please. I may be too late for it up here, but I love okra and would really like to find a better way to grow it.

As for plants this year:
Potatoes (not sure how long the rows are, and DH & DS planted them, so I don't know how many of which kind), yukon gold and red, 1/2 regular row type, 1/2 straw experiment. Also have a few volunteers popping up from the compost :D

Onions. 3/4 of a row of yellows. Never had good success with these, so are trying something different to see if they get bigger.

Tomatoes. 96, plus a straggler I need to find a spot for. Varieties- have to read my journal ( ;) ) as I can't remember, but A LOT of Amish paste, in two 4 x12 SFG's.

Peppers. All hot, 5 varieties. One row.

Beets. 1/2 a row. Should've done more, to take care of my beet fix for the next 5 years or so, but didn't have room.

Carrots. 1 1/2 rows of scarlet nantes. They do best here, although they aren't doing anything yet.

Beans. Kentucky wonder bush type. Don't have success w/ pole types. 1 1/2 rows. Yellow (Randor?) 1/2 row

Watermelon. Two sugar baby hills

Cukes. Four hills; 2 picklers and two marketmores

Pumpkin. Two hills of pie pumpkins

Cabbage. Three plants, in pots, under a tree. I am the only one who eats it, and I'm late getting it in, so I am experimenting with partial shade for them.

No peas or corn this year- still have some left that I dehydrated

Also planted sweet basil, italian basil, thyme, sage and oregano.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We just plant the seeds, and it may not be if you get a shorter season variety. Don't plant a lot, as it mass produces like crazy!!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Around here, the traditionalists tend to wait until about May 24 to start planting in outdoor gardens... but my wife an I go more by how the weather feels

We planted spinach and lettuce in our greenhouse a couple months ago. Had kale that had made it through the winter in there. We put potted-up tomatoes and peppers, that we'd started, in there about a month ago. Meanwhile, outdoors...

Two 25-foot rows of green peas

Five 30-foot rows, each of a different potato variety - experimenting with (hopefully) blight-resistant types

A 3'x30' swath of onions (four different bulb onion varieites, plus leeks at one end)

(A 4'x 30' garlic patch planted last fall began pushing up green shoots a month ago.)

Transplanted a 25-foot additional new row of strawberries

Two of three sweet corn plots (each about 12'x15') are now planted, next one going in in the next couple days.

We've got some little 3'x5' patches of cauliflower and broccoli planted, some bunching onions and beets in similar-size rectangles, and some outdoor lettuce out there now too.

Celery has been planted out

A double 25-foot row of carrots has gone in... a bit iffy, this early. In the carrots and several of the other rows, we plant radishes as row markers as we go along.

We're just now putting in 18 tomato plants that we started and potted-up into gallon pots - we're transplanting them now into the beds in the greenhouse. These are vine-varieties, which will grow to 10-14 feet in length and produce lots of fruit per plant.

Some of the peppers (hots) are still in pots, and will also be planted in the greenhouse. We're holding back on our red-bell-type sweet peppers until we can feel secure about planting them outside. Cukes are the same story. Cantaloupe plants, same. Sunflower starts will go out real soon.

Our herb garden is pretty well all perennials, so just gets weeded and fertilized.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're in the city, so our garden is nothing compared to the 50' and 100' rows that others are planting, but we do what we can. It's not all planted yet, but I'm getting there--can't plant everything out till the frost danger is past (sometimes well into June). But all of the seeds are planted out now :)

I started the tomatoes (see varieties below), 24 bell peppers (Sweet Allsorts), 3 (all that germinated) celery (Utah Green), 6 cardoon, turnips (Laurentian Swede), and pumpkins (Small Sugar and Connecticut Field) from seed back in March/April and have kept them under lights till now. The bell peppers and celery will go into the hoop greenhouse along with all the surplus tomato plant starts. The cardoon will join various herbs in our flower gardens. The rest are accounted for in the (screen shots of my Word Document) garden plans below.

mooliegarden2012-1.jpg

This part of the garden is four 4'x4' raised beds, each square = 1 sq foot
Varieties:
Nantes and Chantennay Carrots
Early Girl Tomatoes (
Rutgers Tomatoes
San Marzano (Roma) Tomatoes
Tiny Tim (Cherry) Tomatoes
Yellow Pear Tomatoes
Valmaine (Romaine type) Lettuce
Ruby Queen Beets
Great Lakes (iceberg head type) Lettuce

mooliegarden2012-2.jpg

This part of the garden is two 4'x8' raised beds, each square = 1 sq foot
Varieties:
Floriani Red Flint Corn
Hollow Crown Parsnip
Green Arrow Peas
Laurentian Swede Turnip
Top Notch Stringless Golden Wax Beans
Bush Blue Lake Beans
French Breakfast (long type) Radishes
Cherry Belle Radishes
Connecticut Field Pumpkins
Lungo Della Cina Cucumbers
Small Sugar Pumpkin

mooliegarden2012-3.jpg

This is our "container garden" on the deck, and includes eight 1'x1' pots next to the house, and two 1'x4' planters up against a trellis
Varieties:
Tomatoes as above
Dill
Sage
Rosemary

Russian Tarragon
Greek Oregano
Sweet Genovese Basil

Hybrid Gold Rush Zucchini
Heirloom Long Green Cucumber
Vegetable Spaghetti Squash

We also have 6 raspberry canes that are leafing up, 2 apple trees that are coming into blossom, and a rhubarb plant that is ready to start picking from.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Your garden sounds neat moolie!!! I have to get another herb garden established, and get some garlic sets for sure next fall!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, you all make my little garden look pitiful...and I was thinking I was doing great here! LOL
2 - 30 ft rows of Ky Wonder pole beans.
24 "Viking" tomato plants.
6 green peppers
6 yellow peppers
2 - 30 ft rows of Yukon Gold potato's
3 - 15 ft rows of beets, which are almost ready to be pulled, and I will start my sweet corn
250 onion sets

I tried peas...again...no go. So those are coming out this week, and radishes and carrots are going in there.
We did get 5 thornless blackberry plants, and started that patch this year.
It may seem small...but it id only feeding the 2 of us...so I think it should be plenty. ( I hope)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Okay, I was asked to share more details....

For the newer folks, I am fortunate to have a good job and I volunteer my time a lot. I just don't have the time to do all the gardening I want to be able to do.

The half of the big garden is now effectively ruined by bindweed. Long story how it got there, but the mild winter here didn't help my battle. I've decided to open up a new garden plot elsewhere on the property. Last year I had tomato and pepper issues due to weather, so I bought in bulk from the local flea market to finish my canning.

My mid-size garden has
4 x 6' rows sunchokes,
2 x 6' rows turnips, (1 foot wide)
1 x 6' carrots (1 foot wide)
1 x6' red beets (1 foot wide)

Small garden
1 x 3' row spinach
1 x 3' row lettuce
1 x 3' row scallions
3 x 3' row early peas

Big garden:
I don't remember exactly how much of everything (30' rows)
Pinto Beans
Kidney Beans
Green Beans
Red Beets
Peas
Corn
Zucchini
Pumpkins

I decided to just purchase potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers in bulk from the market this year.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Your garden sounds neat moolie!!! I have to get another herb garden established, and get some garlic sets for sure next fall!
Thanks BB :)

It's small, and we have/will have things crammed in everywhere to grow as much as possible, but I'm hopeful that more than doubling what we grew last year will really pay off. Where others have rows, I have a few plants in each square foot, which means that for most things we plant we really only have veggies for fresh eating during the season.

So we buy a lot of in-season produce over the summer months from the Farmer's Market and fruit stands so we have lots to put up. We do put up pretty much all of the tomatoes other than the cherry and pear types (which we devour as they ripen), and I'm hopeful that with the garden expansion we'll have pumpkins, turnips, and herbs to keep into winter this year. :)

Can't wait to read what others are growing--I get a lot of inspiration from threads like this!