How much do you spend on food?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol FF
I tried making a few crackers and they stink compared to a good old saltine. nothing like them when you want a saltine cracker~! :)
your DH is right...just gotta buy that cracker and for me, you can't make a regular old saltine :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The price of feed went up so much I was wondering if I'm coming out ahead on the dairy products.....until we priced THEM at the store. We could not believe how much cat food went up though.....

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much is milk in Washington?

Here, the cheapest, nastiest stuff is about $3.50/gallon. The midgrade (hormone free) stuff is about $4.25/gallon. The really nice stuff (grass fed, hormone/abx free, glass bottles) is $7/gallon. It's all local milk, since this is dairy country.

Cheese is right around $5/#, depending on the brand and type.

I dunno about yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc, because I make that stuff.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have not been buying it lately, or many cheese products, but I think I remember a Safeway ad that said two gallons for 6 dollars as a big special of the day, and I mentally said to myself that I could feed my goats for two days a heck of alot cheaper than that and have the same amount of milk. Yay goats! I do have to feed them all year to have milk for a few months though so that isn't a proper price comparisen.
I can check prices next time I go to the store though. I know our local market where everything is marked sky high, the milk has been 4.99 a gallon quite awhile ago.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My grocery budget is down considerably :D We have been eating SO much from the garden, I just noticed in the last 4 weeks we have spent only $160 on groceries and a good portion of that was meats because we were almost completely out of everything the beginning of the month :woot That's a HUGE difference! Like...$140/mo. difference :ep Too bad it likely won't last through winter, but I am LOVIN IT! This is for 3 of us, and IF we get the 3 extra kiddos here in November or so, it'll change drastically, because they will add to the consumption, but I am happy with this for now and hope to get LOTS more put away by the time the kids get here..if they get here :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I hope you have a bumper crop of everything! Kids can eat a lot. When ours were teenagers, I thought we were going to have to take out a second mortgage on the house just to keep them fed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Yes, I hope you have a bumper crop of everything! Kids can eat a lot. When ours were teenagers, I thought we were going to have to take out a second mortgage on the house just to keep them fed.
Whew! A year ago DD14 could eat as much as me and DH put together times TWO! I thought she'd never stop...threatened to make her get a job :lol: