How much do you spend on food?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
abifae said:
Wine is definitely a grocery.

:D
I thought it was medicinal.... :gig calming and soothing to the nerves!
Definitely, 100% medicinal. I blame my job, husband and critters for the need for medicine. Husband at least is kind enough to leave me a steady supply. :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you don't think grocery prices are an issue, why the garden? Why the charity? Why putting up food?

Not that those things are a bad idea (it's a great idea actually)... but if you are convinced food prices aren't an issue, why would you do those things?

I donated seeds to a church who started a food ministry, have given seeds to friends, helped others with starter plants, and gave my first intro to canning lesson yesterday...but I am convinced because of the economy, government regulation and intervention, the drought, inflation, etc... food prices are going to get worse and worse.

If you don't think those things are going to happen, what is the point?

runsw/scissors

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ran across this oldish thread and had to chime in...

Right now it's DS and I, and I spend about 250 or so a month plus another 15 or so for chicken feed (they free range in the summer) every other month as well as roughly $50 to eat out. That's about $300 each month. Given my income that's about 30%.

He's 4 now so it'll only get worse, (much worse...:hide) in the years to come. I should note that we eat very well. I buy local as much as possible beef and produce. Perhaps next year I'll put in a garden but frankly I have a black thumb, there isn't much I can't kill :he

Because we live on my fixed income I can assure you that food costs are rising! I can spend the same to get less (smaller package sizes for peanut butter for example.) Or spend more to get the same amount of food. What is this silliness that food costs are staying the same or decreasing?! If in fact I got a COLA in my SSDI checks that would be one thing; but I haven't in two years now.

I am turning to a more SS lifestyle in self defense!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have quit spending so much. I've cut down to about an average of $20 a week even in this holiday season. It helps that folks keep giving me greens and ham hocks :lol: My neighbors love me :D Just in the last few weeks I have gotten a few trash bags full of greens and turnips :drool

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cut down also. I do not buy like I used too, and that was not that long ago :lol:

consumer habits will change. hope retail can handle it???

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have literally been getting so much fresh stuff for free lately we could feasibly eat for a week on $0. I sold my uncle some turkeys and he brought me a trash bag full or turnips and greens when he came to get the birds. My freezer is packed with free food already, so we're having to eat some down lately before we can even attempt to buy anything else. The animals have eaten good lately too with all the trimmings prior to cooking some of it :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have literally been getting so much fresh stuff for free lately we could feasibly eat for a week on $0.
Us also, if I'd just stop going to the store this fall for the extras I need for baking or company!! We have 2 full freezers, plus 2 fridge freezers. But, there's always stuff like baking ingredients, cheese, PB, oils, vinegar, seasoning, nuts... And this time of year we have lots of extra company and social events, so we tend to "need" things we normally could live without. For example, DH just bought a $20 ham for DS's Thanksgiving feast at school today!! We would never do this for ourselves, but we signed up for ham, and ham we bought/brought.

Plus, no matter the time of year, there seems to be something to stock up on. Last week just bought 10 bags of cranberries for $1 each. Super excellent deal, but when we stock up on things, it adds up. Next month I'll be buying about $90 in grapefruit and oranges through FFA. Excellent deal compared to the grocery store, but still a significant chunk of $.

I've never accurately calculated it--perhaps this winter?--but my estimate is around $50-$75/week for a family of 4. There are many weeks/months in the summer that we don't buy any grocery at all, but then there are times when we stock up to the tune of $300 at a crack.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Wannabefree said:
I have literally been getting so much fresh stuff for free lately we could feasibly eat for a week on $0.
Us also, if I'd just stop going to the store this fall for the extras I need for baking or company!! We have 2 full freezers, plus 2 fridge freezers. But, there's always stuff like baking ingredients, cheese, PB, oils, vinegar, seasoning, nuts... And this time of year we have lots of extra company and social events, so we tend to "need" things we normally could live without. For example, DH just bought a $20 ham for DS's Thanksgiving feast at school today!! We would never do this for ourselves, but we signed up for ham, and ham we bought/brought.

Plus, no matter the time of year, there seems to be something to stock up on. Last week just bought 10 bags of cranberries for $1 each. Super excellent deal, but when we stock up on things, it adds up. Next month I'll be buying about $90 in grapefruit and oranges through FFA. Excellent deal compared to the grocery store, but still a significant chunk of $.

I've never accurately calculated it--perhaps this winter?--but my estimate is around $50-$75/week for a family of 4. There are many weeks/months in the summer that we don't buy any grocery at all, but then there are times when we stock up to the tune of $300 at a crack.
Yes, that's pretty much how it is with us as well. The fresh stuff will cease soon and we'll be back to the store, but thankfully we are currently stocked up on most everything. I do buy milk and cheese frequently, but that's it. That'll stop when my goat has her babies next month though. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
man I love cheese. all kinds of cheese. I sure eat cheese :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
man I love cheese. all kinds of cheese. I sure eat cheese :lol:
We do, too! Thankful for my bro, who brought us 10 lb of sharp cheddar as a "thank you for letting me hunt" gift :) Whoohoo!