1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

How much land do you have/need/want?

Discussion in 'Where Am I - Where Are You?' started by Pogo0685, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

2. Aug 28, 2013
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

Well, MY home canned and home dried foods have been properly prepared and I feel safe eating them, but I will be very happy if the government officials don't feel sanguine about them- hopefully they will let me keep them and eat them.

3. Aug 28, 2013
    Icu4dzs

Icu4dzs Almost Self-Reliant

Well, that does it then. For what it is worth, I am guessing that the answer to this dilemma is "NOT to store anything"...particularly anything that is already prepared. The King seems to want to preserve his "non-working force" so that those who work can starve at a satisfying rate. You know, a little over 220 years ago, we (yes, I mean WE the "ants" of this nation) got together and told the King we didn't want any of his nonsense and gave him our notice.

What about uncooked, unprepared things like beans, rice, and other dried goods? Are they at risk of confiscation as well? Did the king suddenly decide that those who would make no effort to prepare for hard times (i.e. the grasshoppers of this country) would suddenly find a way to start learning how to soak beans and cook them? Not likely...from what you are saying, they are too lazy to even cook. They will steal only that which is easily eaten and "QC'd". Well isn't that something?
    I do think that makes us in the SS community a lot better off, knowing as we do that anything we store that is easily eaten on the run would be stolen by the "locusts". Frankly, I never thought of storing much in the way of food but more in the form of "pre-food" condition. Seeds are more valuable than a can of beans in my way of thinking. I imagine thought that with all the high tech equipment that the "locusts" are using, they'll know exactly when to attack our gardens and our animals...but then the food isn't prepared or QC'd is it? They will have to kill our cattle, skin it, remove all the entrails, cut it into smaller pieces and cook it...all of which takes time and effort; and NOT the sort of effort the grasshoppers are willing to put into it. They are going to be looking for the Twinkies and cans of Mt. Dew, huh?
    Any wonder why they don't prepare?

4. Aug 29, 2013
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

:yuckyuck And it's a darn good thing Twinkies made a comeback! :old

5. Aug 30, 2013
    Britesea

:yuckyuck lol.

I am not positive about what kind of food might be confiscated, just guessing based on what is allowed to be donated.

6. Nov 11, 2013
    Fernie

Fernie Power Conserver

Currently renting a house with 6 acres. Looking into a place with 5 or more acres. If it wasn't for the kids we would be back in WV on the family farm. WV is not very kids friendly, IMO. My DH agrees. We grow as much food as we can for ourselves, the children, and our animals. We can, freeze and store all we can. Raise our own chickens, ducks and rabbits. Want to be able to add a few goats, sheep, and pigs eventually. Next spring I am suppose to get geese, Muscovies and more ducks. Possibly adding more chickens.

7. Nov 12, 2013
    the_whingnut

the_whingnut Almost Self-Reliant

I think i could do well with 20 - 40 acres.

8. Nov 13, 2013
    Britesea

Although it's not nearly enough to make me self sufficient, my 1/2 acre is about all I can handle. My garden is more than twice the size of my house, lol, and I suspect that it will get harder when SHTF and I have to haul water by hand.

9. Sep 26, 2015
    Tirtzah

Tirtzah Enjoys Recycling