How much poop...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
can one horse poop in about 4 months time? Just curious really. I am ammending my soil heavily with organic matter and natural fertilizers this year and want to use our horses poo...for as long as we have her, she may as well earn her keep in a sense, right? I do have ther places to gather poop as well. We went and scooped a half a truckload today. May go back for more tomorrow, but hauling and then unloading it is pretty labor intensive, and I got to wondering if one horse would provide ample supply. She does go poopy quite a lot :lol: My garden(s) are going to be HUGE this year though, so I'm sure we will need at least some outsourced fertilizer as well. We will be doing just shy of an acre of gardens.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If you need to extend your manure supply, make manure tea from it. Thats what I do.... :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah, I will later on down the road. I wanted to get this on there and get it aged well before planting this year. Manure tea is the only way I will get anything out of the "fresher" stuff later on in the year, and I have thought of that as well. Thanks Buff! :hugs

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I need to amend ours with some really composted cow manure, I just have to get it. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a good deal of compost out there now, just gotta shovel it and get it spread :D I need to get some sawdust as well to toss on there.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Depends on the horse and bedding. We pick the poop from the field so there is no sawdust, straw or shavings. The big girls do about 1 wheel barrow per day :p I did poop tea this year too and it worked wonders.

Here you go. This is my dear hubby on one of manure piles. This one we nursed since spring and with 6 horses it grew quite impressively. It will be half its size in 6 months.

3820_dsc02669.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WOW :th That's a load of crap!!! :lol: Actually that's about how much I need too :D

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
WOW :th That's a load of crap!!! :lol: Actually that's about how much I need too :D
Its here for you whenever you need it :lol: We have 3 piles in different stages of decomp plus a nice pile of shavings+ chicken poop :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just traded some pigs with the neighbors for several round bales and a whole dunp truck load of poop!!! :D I truly appreciate the offer though. I'd be tempted to come get it otherwise :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A horse can poop up to 50 lbs a day, but that's for a large horse. Does that give you any idea at all?

I know between my 3, I get a dump cart full every 3 or 4 days. And that's piled to the top and overflowing.