how much television

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I totally agree with you Beekissed,
I was going to say that given free reign with television most children or teens are not going to be watching court tv shows.
They will watch things like all the insane reality shows that are on now, could americas next top model or those bachelor/bachelorette shows be any more degrading?
I think kids would choose family guy,simpsons,south park, gilmore girls, etc.before they tune into something educational. There is always exceptions, but if we are talking about todays pop culture, these are the shows pertaining to the subject at hand.
If you monitor the tv and say well I only allow my teens to watch educational, non violent, non reality non non non... and give the kid choice of hey you can stay up and watch court tv tonight or something else along those lines a kid will say goodnight ma, going to bed.
It might work with little kids, but its not going to work for teenagers.
Most kids learn alot of what is going on in todays culture from the computer anyway.
With any luck, these kids will read in black and white about whats going on in the real world and not try to discern the fact from fiction from a tv show.
Plus its not like these kids are asking to watch the news so how much can they learn from these tv shows that they can't figure out on their own just from living life.
Most kids will pickup all they need to know and then some regarding whats new, whats in and whats hot from their friends.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I guess we just disagree on this one.

My kids don't have "free"access to TV because it's are not allowed on school nights, or before all of their work is done. But I rarely have to enforce the rules anymore, they know the drill. They are also able to good decisions about what's appropriate to watch and what isn't without much guidance from me. My two preteens like The History Channel and Animal Planet more that just about anything else.

Yes it took us a little work to get to this point, but not tons. My philosophy is that they need to be exposed to some of what the world has to offer when they are young, while I still have some influence in their lives.

I'm NOT looking for a fight on this, nor do I think my way is the only way. It's just another point of view.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Well I guess we just disagree on this one.

My kids don't have "free"access to TV because it's are not allowed on school nights, or before all of their work is done. But I rarely have to enforce the rules anymore, they know the drill. They are also able to good decisions about what's appropriate to watch and what isn't without much guidance from me. My two preteens like The History Channel and Animal Planet more that just about anything else.

Yes it took us a little work to get to this point, but not tons. My philosophy is that they need to be exposed to some of what the world has to offer when they are young, while I still have some influence in their lives.

I'm NOT looking for a fight on this, nor do I think my way is the only way. It's just another point of view.
I agree with this. I don't have to really have to monitor or enforce the kids TV watching. Of course I did when they were little, but through that they learned what was appropriate and what wasn't. And Animal Planet is a favourite here, too. My kids seldom watch TV, and when they do, I don't have to police b/c they are choosing aceptable programs. they are not afraid to turn the TV off is nothing good is on. i don't have to put restrictions on them ie during school week etc.,, becasue they seldom watch TV during the school week, and they know the "need to's" need to be done before the "want to's".

Like I said, TV here is a non issue, and if left on their own right now, they would not choose smut shows. they usually choose thought provoking/emotion provoking shows like Animal planet, national geographic., etc.

>>>>>>>>>My philosophy is that they need to be exposed to some of what the world has to offer when they are young, while I still have some influence in their lives.<<<<<<<<<

Exactly, and one of my philosophies is teach them when they are young how to make choices, so that they will be good at it when the choices really matter.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
When I started this thread my questions were, has anyone thrown away their television, if so why and how long has it been.
You brought it in a different direction that really does not pertain to why I started this thread.
I wanted to hear from people who can relate to the question and you answered with your opinion on pop cultures relevance to teenage society.
You are also referring to preteens when the other posts are clearly talking about teens.
I don't understand what you are saying.
You state that you don't give them free access and they have been instructed prior over what is acceptable to you for them to watch, so they are really only making decisions on what to watch according to what you have already approved.
It seems like they know they wouldn't be allowed to watch anything off the approved list of shows so they make their decisions accordingly.
At least this is what one can gather by your last post.
Preteens and teens are apples and oranges, if you don't think so then you probably don't have both.
I have three adult children now who are in college and are exceptional people who have always made the right decisions in life, but I don't owe it to television.
Edited to add, my original post in starting this thread had nothing to do with making appropriate decisions regarding televsion shows or anything else of that nature.
It had to do with wasting time sitting in front of a black hole instead of doing other more constructive activities.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
First, I don't see any statements like that.
Secondly we are talking about children/ teens not adults, as stated in the first post of the thread.
Third, if its off topic, its not answering the question at hand, you are giving your opinion yes, but its not real relevant to the question asked and doesn't accomplish much but getting something off your chest.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I read all the posts and no one said anything of the kind. Re read them and see. No one said tv is all bad and no one should ever watch it or you are a lousy human being. There is only one thread that said, its too easy for some people to get hooked on tv all day and not accomplish anything they should be doing. That actually does happen and no one was referring to you.
That response actually came after someone already brought up about how important televsion is in shaping young people's lives and the abilities to make decisons, along with gleaning knowledge of pop culture.
None of which I need to know.
I am surprised that people would just answer in relation to a title rather than the first post that actually poses the question.
I have seen some crazy titles for a thread and wouldn't answer them without reading the question.
The last couple of posts don't pertain to the topic of this thread and this is not accomplishing anything.
It would probably be more appropriate for you to start a thread on the merits of children being exposed to the world through televison and making their own decisions in life as a result of that.
Seriously.Its a different animal.
Its a topic of its own.
I am done now, I have already wasted way too much time on this.

Latest posts