How much toilet paper should we be putting in our long term storage?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
In a true emergency who says you'll have trash pick up or sufficient water to flush? I'm going cloth in emergency situation. Washable, reusable, cloth, all the way. Takes a boatload less space too. Just sayin..
Ditto! And you can use grey water from washing your dishes for a little pre-wash for the cloth. Then use that water on your tomato plant or whatever.

I don't want to offend anyone, but IMO, buying and stocking TP for SHTF is a waste of money and space. And bartering? I'd rather have food/tools/stuff like that instead of paper to wipe my tush. JMO

And Farmboy? that was hilarious! LOL

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What this appears to be teaching us is really how spoiled we have become as a people. MFB tells the story about red and whilte corncobs and while I can't imagine getting to that level of pain, I think I'd still prefer a wet sponge.

Marianne makes a very good pont. Most Americans can not even begin to realize what life will be like if society collapses. If we don't want this, and I know of no one who does, we need to work together to either prevent it or minimize its impact on our local areas. Not to do that will be certain misery, the likes of which most Americans can not even begin to imagine. Not to frighten you...but to make you think and become aware of the REALITY awaiting us.

I have a series of articles written by someone who calls himself "SELCO" who survived the Balkans war and has a lot of wisdom and things to teach us. This subject is just one of the many issues we tend to joke about but there is s darker side of the things we fear that were very real to this man Selco.
If anyone wants to read what he has published you can PM me and ask for it. I won't publish it here because it is more graphic and hard to read for even the most seasoned of individuals.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
What this appears to be teaching us is really how spoiled we have become as a people.
I agree. And I find it amazing that some preppers think they'll have the same quality of life in a true SHTF scenario.

Sorry, got off topic there. I think the bottom line (no pun) for most people is to stock what is important to YOU. Figure out how much you use in a week, then go from there. You can smash the rolls so the cardboard tube is flattened so it will take less space to store. As to how many packs to store? Others are better qualified to answer that than me, but I'd guess a years worth. That would give you enough time to figure out what else to use, ya know? :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I try to find a balance in all things. There's no way I can store enough toilet paper to last....who knows how long? What I do now is keep about 4 of the 12 packs at all times. That would get me through a hurricane - which is the most likely natural disaster scenario in my area.

I was letting my mind wander the other day - which it does quite frequently - and thinking how upset I would be in a true SHTF situation if I ran out of food but had tons of paper goods left over.....

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a series of articles written by someone who calls himself "SELCO" who survived the Balkans war and has a lot of wisdom and things to teach us. This subject is just one of the many issues we tend to joke about but there is s darker side of the things we fear that were very real to this man Selco.
If anyone wants to read what he has published you can PM me and ask for it. I won't publish it here because it is more graphic and hard to read for even the most seasoned of individuals.
Is it the same article as is posted (as a link) in this thread? A Bosnia Survivor Tells His Survival Story

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've read that B4. Quite an eye opener. I've often thought that most people that heat w/wood even would be in big trouble. How many of us have a hand saw that's capable of cutting up firewood if we suddenly found ourselves unable to use our chainsaws?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've read that B4. Quite an eye opener. I've often thought that most people that heat w/wood even would be in big trouble. How many of us have a hand saw that's capable of cutting up firewood if we suddenly found ourselves unable to use our chainsaws?
Hmmm...good point. Rocket stoves! Rocket mass heaters!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought a one man cross cut for wood last year. We're looking to get a two man one as well. My hubby tried it out. Sawed through a 20 inch wide log. It was hard work and took a while.

I think the more effiecient your heater, the better.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of tp put up and we rotate it out but if TEOTWAWKI happens I also have many older towels put back that we will use instead and keep the tp for when people get sick.. I think something disposable may be better in sick tummy situations where it could spread easily.
I like my mod cons but have lived without them before and know I'll live without them if I have to.
that reminds me to go buy more lip balm.. I only have about 4 years worth put back. ;)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This was one of the first items we put away and stocked up on. We always have 3 cases of TP on hand at all times. Buy it by the case and save. A quick cheap item to add to your preps.

Latest posts