How much toilet paper should we be putting in our long term storage?

paradox

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My theory is this. If you can afford it just keep stacking it up as long as you have space and can keep mice out of it. It doesn't go bad and it isn't like somebody is going to invent something better and make standard toilet paper obsolete. Of course my DH likes to argue this point. He tells me someday they will invent something better that all our friends will be talking about how cool it is and he will have to tell them we are still using the old fashioned stuff and they will make fun o us. :D But seriously - you will eventually use it - so I stock up when it gets cheap.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
paradox said:
My theory is this. If you can afford it just keep stacking it up as long as you have space and can keep mice out of it. It doesn't go bad and it isn't like somebody is going to invent something better and make standard toilet paper obsolete. Of course my DH likes to argue this point. He tells me someday they will invent something better that all our friends will be talking about how cool it is and he will have to tell them we are still using the old fashioned stuff and they will make fun o us. :D But seriously - you will eventually use it - so I stock up when it gets cheap.
But but but.. what about the three seashells? :lol:

You know I just had to go there.. right? ;) :D

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been on this forum in awhile, but I have been recycling, buying in bulk, etc. What I did was to calculate how much t.p., and all other non-perishables that me and my family consumes in a normal week, month, then x12 for the year. Locally, the best price for t.p. has often been at Walgreens, when they sell their "big roll" for $.69/roll/w/coupon. You can buy an awesome multi-function calculator for peanuts today. I bought one at Menard's on sale for 99 cents. USE ONE.
Here is a short list of non-perishables that I have calculated use for one year.
--toilet paper
--paper towels
--q-tips
--shampoo and conditioner
--bar soap
--deodorant
**I have been using the same, cheap deodorant that I keep downstairs by my farm shower for over one year, now. I use it after most showers, but not all. THIS is something best bought cheap, so buy the brand/scent you really like
--toothpaste
--clothes detergent
--dishwasher detergent
--hand-washing dishes--"Dawn"--bought enough for one year--6--at $1.88/each, average size (forgot the ounces)
--plastic garbage bags, numerous sizes, including small, scented Ruffies for bathroom trash can--100 ct./roll
--food storage bags (for freezing)
--wax paper
--aluminum foil--you don't go through this quickly
--plastic wrap
Some people just save their grocery/dollar store receipts to calculate usage, and that works, too.
Our office uses 1 roll t.p./3 weeks = 17 rolls/year, and my family uses 2 rolls t.p./4 weeks = 26 rolls/year
ALWAYS buy on sale. Usually, the best $sales are the last FULL week of the month bc most Americans blow their paychecks the FIRST full or partial week of the month. I also keep cats inside and outside the property.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread yet but think "phone books and sears catalogs". Also think "corn cobs" and washable cloth. What about feminine hygiene? Again, think washable and reusable cloth. I suppose there would initially be some barter value in TP and tampons but neither are items I worry about stocking. Well, we keep tampons for the FAK(first aid kit).

http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-washable-feminine-menstrual-pads/
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Reusable-Menstrual-Pads

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
seems that a LARGE supply of same color wash cloths is a good solution.....cut up old towels...etc...cheap

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kingsfarm said:
seems that a LARGE supply of same color wash cloths is a good solution.....cut up old towels...etc...cheap
Or cheaper yet is cut up t-shirts, old towels, etc.

I don't stock disposable anythings, except some maxi pads for use as bandages (and I hope I never have to use a bandage like that!).

Oh, I do have a small stash of canning lids, but I am gradually buying some tattler to replace them.

We never can guess when a disaster is going to hit. My sis had her basement flood with several feet of ditch water after heavy rains. She said it was so weird to see all her bars of unwrapped Ivory soap floating. Everything else was ruined.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy the scotts 12 pack when it is $5 instead of $10.Even at $6 it is a good deal. I buy atlast 4-8 packs during sale time.I ust stack mine since I have storage room in the house and garage.I have read some smoosh down the rolls for storage. Just keep buying,because you can never have enough.

I also found that baby wipes are useful for bathroom clean up or wash up when water is not an option. I get those when they are marked down,but not too much since they might dry out.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I buy the scotts 12 pack when it is $5 instead of $10.Even at $6 it is a good deal. I buy atlast 4-8 packs during sale time.I ust stack mine since I have storage room in the house and garage.I have read some smoosh down the rolls for storage. Just keep buying,because you can never have enough.

I also found that baby wipes are useful for bathroom clean up or wash up when water is not an option. I get those when they are marked down,but not too much since they might dry out.
If they dry out you can wet them again. The soap is still there. I keep some in my truck and re wet them when I need to.

Latest posts