How SS has changed my Christmas...how bout' you?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No ---being more SS in ways hasn't changed Christmas for us.

I think as getting older Tony and I just don't want as much stuff...LOL---that stage in life that being more frugal to save money for other things like vacation travel etc. just has come naturally more now.

I don't cut back buying for Nicole. I buy sales, coupons, etc. but being SS hasn't really affected the actual holiday for us.

Slinkytoys

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Throughout the year I pay for most of my purchases with my Rewards credit card. I pay it off in full each month. At the end of the year I pick out which gift cards my friends and family would use----then I get them "for free" with my Rewards points. Easy Peasy!
Have done this for a couple of years and people love it. I usually include a small personalized gift.
It works for me! :plbb
Slinky

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Over the years Christmas had always been a big stresser for me. First, we lived away from home and made the mad rush 400 miles to try to cram in a visit with everyone. And, I never felt I could afford gifts for everyone. We've now moved back home but...one day I took the plunge and said "no more". I give gifts only to the immediate families and quit trying to get every aunt, uncle, cousin, neice, nephew, and their kids a gift. This year I haven't bought one thing, except for supplies to make stuff. My SILs and BILs are getting homemade aprons, quart jars of brownie mix, and rice bags to heat in the microwave (we've all hit 50 or over and have creaky joints).
I decided to give my aunts a jar of spiced honey and a tea towel (I've been stocking up on them so didn't have to buy). My Brother and I quit exchanging gifts a long time ago, neither could afford it. I will bite the bullet and get my Mom a new mailbox - my brother will install it for her - cause she needs it. My DH always said he just wants to get together with everyone and eat - forget gifts. (Of course he wasn't the one doing the shopping!)
Sorry to take so much space, I tend to get wordy at times. :)

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've noticed many people cutting back on Christmas extravagances this year. I love it and it makes homemade gifts more "in fashion."

For neighbor/teacher gifts this year we made homemade bath salts in jars from the dollar store, and homemade marmalade from oranges and lemons from our yard. My baby nephew in Chicago got a hand made knitted blanket (my first!) that wasn't cheap because of the nice yarn, but I enjoyed learning the new skill. Two family members got boxes of unusual fruit from my local farmer's market -persimmon, cherimoya, guava, etc.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It hasn't changed much for us. I haven't focused on gifts for many years and the ones I do give have usually been homemade or bought throughout the year.
I focus on decorating, music and rituals. The gifts are incidental.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Forgot one thing. Instead of something silly we got DS's teacher a gift card to Agway. She is involved with Labs4rescue and I knew she could use it for her own dogs or foster dogs. That felt good! :)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Over the years Christmas had always been a big stresser for me. First, we lived away from home and made the mad rush 400 miles to try to cram in a visit with everyone. And, I never felt I could afford gifts for everyone. We've now moved back home but...one day I took the plunge and said "no more". I give gifts only to the immediate families and quit trying to get every aunt, uncle, cousin, neice, nephew, and their kids a gift. This year I haven't bought one thing, except for supplies to make stuff. My SILs and BILs are getting homemade aprons, quart jars of brownie mix, and rice bags to heat in the microwave (we've all hit 50 or over and have creaky joints).
I decided to give my aunts a jar of spiced honey and a tea towel (I've been stocking up on them so didn't have to buy). My Brother and I quit exchanging gifts a long time ago, neither could afford it. I will bite the bullet and get my Mom a new mailbox - my brother will install it for her - cause she needs it. My DH always said he just wants to get together with everyone and eat - forget gifts. (Of course he wasn't the one doing the shopping!)
Sorry to take so much space, I tend to get wordy at times. :)
Well guess what. I got sick and missed both Christmas Eve dinner with my inlaws and Christmas Day lunch with my family. Guess I shouldn't have skimped on the gifts. My Mamaw always said, "What goes around, comes around". :hit

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't think you skimped and they probably don't either. Your gifts were from the heart :love and took lots more time and thought than a bunch of cr-P snagged off of a clearance table on Black Friday!

Hope you are feeling better. :)