How to deal with... "waste"

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Your research is probably more up to date than mine is/was. I lost a lot of websites and information about 2 computers back that no one could get data off of when it died. :( I just know it is a really interesting concept that I would love to try. Maybe I will sneak one down in the barn just for me :cool:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Noobie, maybe you could show us the results in your gardens from using this composted poo? My urine corn was at least a foot taller than the other corn! Not scientific, of course, but same ground, same water, same seed....bigger results than just using composted animal poo alone.

That sounds like those tooth paste commercials, doesn't it? Removes plaque better than brushing alone--which means without any toothpaste at all! :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, you'll have a while to wait. I expect 2 years before I can start using it. 1 to collect, the second to age.

But yeah, if we're all still around then, I'll sure post some pics :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Noobie, maybe you could show us the results in your gardens from using this composted poo? My urine corn was at least a foot taller than the other corn! Not scientific, of course, but same ground, same water, same seed....bigger results than just using composted animal poo alone.

That sounds like those tooth paste commercials, doesn't it? Removes plaque better than brushing alone--which means without any toothpaste at all! :lol:
Hey Bee..you must have some really good pee...Maybe you should sell your used depends...We can bury them beside our plants:>) :duc

Wow, who knows, you might just be in the money! $$$$$$ And you can get all the ones from the people you nurse and sell them too...Just call them "fertility pads" No one has to know exactly what's in em...but they bee banging down your door for more after they see the super sized tomatoes!!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'll do the advertising...er...ummm...story telinng...lying...

REVOLUTIONARY NEW NATURAL PRODUCT DISCOVERED RIGHT HERE IN THE US...BEEnKISSED BY THE SUN AT THE FOOT OF THE BEAUTFIL VIRGINIAN MOUNTAINS!
GROW TOMATOES LIKE NEVER BEFORE...EASY TO USE...PREPACKAGED PORTIONS FOR EASE OF USE...ALL CONVENIENTLY PACKAGED IN THIS LITTLE PAD THAT YOU JUST HAVE TO BURY...

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
I researched composting toilets years ago, and several times since for a toilet to go in the barn so I wouldn't have to go in a stall ;)
what, you don't love going in a stall? it's always particularly wonderful when you are all alone in the barn and hear the call of nature so you skip along to your favorite stall and drop your pants... just in time for the vet/neighbors/cops to drop by for a chat! that or you get your bum bit by the horse in the adjoining stall.

needless to say, i got a toilet installed finally.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol:
Oh, you guys are a hoot!

Bee, it makes total sense to me. Urine is a great source of nitrogen & what does corn suck out of the soil? Urine is fairly sterile, too; more so in men than women, typically.

Here's some TMI for you: Alchemists & pharmacists of old used male infant urine as the liquid base for many of their compounds & recipes, as it was so much cleaner than the water at the time.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
:lol:
Oh, you guys are a hoot!

Bee, it makes total sense to me. Urine is a great source of nitrogen & what does corn suck out of the soil? Urine is fairly sterile, too; more so in men than women, typically.

Here's some TMI for you: Alchemists & pharmacists of old used male infant urine as the liquid base for many of their compounds & recipes, as it was so much cleaner than the water at the time.
Ahhh, THAT'S why so many women have hormonal problems!! They've been feeding us male pee

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pee Bee Good, Morel! :lol: I tried it on two of my chive plants and two of my rhubarb and left the other pairs without. The pee plants -sounds a little like pee pants, doesn't it?- were thicker, more lush, darker green and much taller.

What a cheap, great fertilizer!

Would never use my patient's pee, though, as most of them have more meds and chemo residue in them than a Merck production line! :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly what is being refered to on this thread...we are talking about using composted human waste from our pown homes here, but I found this to be really interesting...and it just popped into me email this morning...what a coincidence

Toxic Sewage Sludge in Your Food
Posted by: Dr. Mercola
December 17 2009 | 5,974 views

The increasing use of sewage sludge as fertilizer for your food is an under-publicized and often hidden threat.
Sludge is the toxic mix that is created by our municipal wastewater treatment facilities. Just about anything that is flushed down toilets or that ends up in sewers is in this sludge; the pollutants in sludge come not just from household sewage, but also from every hospital, industrial plant, and stormwater drain.

For a long time, sludge was simply dumped in the oceans. Over time, it became apparent that this was an environmental and human health disaster. An alternative solution has been pushed since the 1980s by the U.S. government. The EPA determined that a good way to dispose of treated sewage sludge was to legally distribute it as a cheap alternative to fertilizer.

Unsurprisingly, scientific analysis of the poisons in sewage sludge shows it's the wrong, and dangerous, solution for U.S. farmers and communities. Unfortunately, many American farmers and gardeners are unknowingly using sludge-derived "compost," which is given away free in many cities throughout the United States.

As a result, farms and homes across the country have been unknowingly spreading hazardous chemicals and heavy metals on their fields, lawns and gardens.

Meanwhile, Michael Mack, the chief executive of Syngenta, a Swiss agribusiness giant that makes pesticides, is waging war against the organic movement as a whole. He argues that, Organic food is not only not better for the planet. It is categorically worse.

If the whole planet were to suddenly switch to organic farming tomorrow, it would be an ecological disaster, he said. Pesticides, he argued, have been proven safe and effective and absolutely not harmful to the environment or to humans.

Of course, Mr. Mack dismissed the notion that Syngenta, a company that sold nearly $12-billion worth of crop protection technologies last year, felt threatened by the organic movement.

Sources:

Huffington Post November 25, 2009

New York Times November 25, 2009

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

If youre looking for a compelling reason to switch to a primarily organic diet, the fact that it is free from sewage sludge fertilizers is a very good one. Sewage sludge, or biosolids -- as theyre referred to with a PR spin -- began being recycled into food crops when, ironically, it was realized that dumping them into rivers, lakes and bays was an environmental disaster.

Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that about 50 percent of all biosolids are recycled to land. This sludge is whats leftover after sewage is treated and processed.

Your first thought may be the yuck factor of human waste being used to fertilize your food, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. Every time a paintbrush gets rinsed, an old bottle of medications flushed, or solvents are hosed off a factory floor, it ends up in the sewage system.

So its not surprising that a past analysis of sewage sludge by the Environmental Working Group found:
Over 100 synthetic organic compounds including phthalates, toluene, and chlorobenzene

Dioxins in sludge from 179 out of 208 systems (80%)

42 different pesticides -- at least one in almost every sample, with an average of almost 2 pesticides per survey sample

Nine heavy metals, often at high concentrations

And it was sewage sludge that was partly blamed earlier this year for contaminating the White House lawn, and Michelle Obamas organic vegetable garden, with lead.

This toxic sludge has been masterfully spun by PR masters into an acceptable, even green, fertilizer. Even San Francisco, arguably one of the greenest cities around, has been distributing toxic sewage sludge to homeowners and schoolyards and calling it organic compost! Nevermind that in 2008 its sludge was found to contain industrial chemicals, disinfectants, phenol, pesticides and solvents.

The Center for Food Safety (CFS) has recently petitioned San Francisco to stop this compost giveaway, lest it contaminate backyards and communities with toxic chemicals, but the sludge is still being widely used all across the United States.

If you want to get the real dirt on how this toxic sewage sludge has become such a popular fertilizer, I strongly encourage you to read Toxic Sludge is Good for You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry. Its written by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber, the authors of one of my favorite exposes on the PR industry, Trust Us, We're Experts, and does not disappoint.

What is Going On With the State of Agriculture in the United States?

They say truth is stranger than fiction, and the once respectable business of farming in the United States is a perfect example of how true this statement can be.

Gone are the days when farmers grew food according to the laws of nature, with a deserved respect for the Earth and its resources. Nowadays, with the exception of the small but growing movement of organic and sustainable farmers, it may surprise you to learn that farming -- once the symbol of all thats natural and wholesome -- creates some of the worst pollution in the United States.

Thats because most farming today is nothing like the small farming of our ancestors. The Farm Sanctuary points out that farm animals produce 130 times more waste than humans. And agricultural runoff is the primary reason why 60 percent of U.S. rivers and streams are polluted.

Meanwhile, in areas where animal agriculture is most concentrated (Iowa, Minnesota, North Carolina, Illinois and Indiana round out the top five states with the most factory-farm pollution) bacteria known as pfiesteria is common in waterways. Not only does pfiesteria kill fish, it also causes nausea, memory loss, fatigue and disorientation in people!

Aside from the pollution, factory farms use vast quantities of resources. According to FactoryFarm.org, industrial milking centers that use manure flush cleaning and automatic cow washing systems, go through as much as 150 gallons of water per cow per day!

Energy costs are even steeper.

A 2002 study from the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found that industrial farms use an average of three calories of energy to create one calorie of food. Grain-fed beef is at the top of the list of offenders, using 35 calories of energy to produce one calorie of food! And this does not even take into account the energy used to process and transport the foods, so the real toll is even larger.

The Agribusiness Giants are Getting Out of Control!

On top of the environmental assaults, you have agribusiness executives like Michael Mack, the chief executive of pesticide manufacturer Syngenta, making outrageous statements like Organic food is not only not better for the planet, it is categorically worse.

What?!

His entire argument was based on the premise that organic farming takes up more land than non-organic farming for the same yield.

He obviously must have missed the recent study that examined a global dataset of 293 farming examples, which found that in developing countries organic systems produce 80% more than conventional farms. And a review of 286 projects in 57 countries found that farmers who used "resource-conserving" or ecological agriculture had increased agricultural productivity by an average of 79%!

It is clear that ecological agriculture is productive and has the potential to meet food security needs Moreover, ecological agricultural approaches allow farmers to improve local food production with low-cost, readily available technologies and inputs, without causing environmental damage, Lim Li Ching, the studys author, writes.

Really, the question we should be asking ourselves shouldnt be Can organic or sustainable farming feed the world?, but How can food production possibly continue as it is?

When I hear someone extolling the virtues of modern agriculture and wondering how organic or sustainable farming could possibly be the solution, I maintain that the fact we have come to accept inefficient, industrial practices, including dousing our food with chemical fertilizers and pesticides, as a viable way to grow food is the real wonder.

And then I always look at the source, which in this case is a pesticide giant CEO which makes his motives very clear, indeed.

How Can You Find Safe Food for Your Family?

There are still safe food options out there, but it does take a bit of digging to find them. Your local grocery store is generally NOT going to be the best source for healthy, fresh food.
So, short of starting your own sustainable farm (which you can do on a small-scale in your own backyard), you can find safe food options by supporting sustainable agriculture movements in your area.

Make it a point to only buy food from a source you know and trust, one that uses safe and non-toxic farming methods. This will do your health a major favor and support the small family farms in your area. Youll receive nutritious food from a source that you can trust, and youll be supporting the honest work of a real family farm instead of an agri-business corporation.

Further, knowledge truly is power, and the more people become informed, the faster it will prompt real change to come about. Several wonderful movies that will give you an excellent overview of the problems with modern agriculture, which I highly recommend you watch and share with your friends and family, are:

Food, Inc.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/17/Toxic-Sewage-Sludge-in-Your-Food.aspx