How to get away from Ziplock baggies?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have 4 kids plus DH that I make lunch for everyday. I have to stop buying and wasting those stupid plastic bags!
I can't afford to go out and buy everyone bento boxes...any other creative and less wasteful ideas?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if you can convince them to do it, but when I remember to bring ziploc bags back home, I wash my used ziploc bags with the dishes, and hang them up with clothespins, then use them again. You can get almost unlimited uses out of them, as long as they don't contain anything too smelly, or stuff that goes moldy, or raw meat, or stuff like that.

Otherwise... hm. There are always canning jars. Useful for just about everything. But heavy to carry around all day.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought the sandwich containers...the Wonder Bread ones that are shaped like bread. Re-usable, washable, last forever. They don't squish the sandwich ever...great bargain!

Then I keep the small containers, like a small cottage cheese container and hold anything...from some chips, to cookies, to wet type items like cut up cantaloupe etc. etc.

Any container works well. Baggies are not needed but we seem to rely on them...I sure did. I don't wash baggies hardly, I don't know...wet stuff in them I throw, dry things I might re-use...depends.

A few dollars literally in some containers and keep other used containers from items and you will hardly need to buy baggies for lunches ever again.

hope of some that helps ya

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm on my last ziplock from a 12 pack I bought about 4 years ago. I wash and reuse the heck out of them! Also, I have a good assortment of small tupperware type containers that my husband and I use for most of our daily lunch needs.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Restaurant supply places and even some places like Costco have waxed paper little bags and sheets- like the ones you get at some bakeries and stuff. They are cheaper than plastic but I think plastic standwich containers are the only reusable indefinetly type things. Maybe wrapping sandwiches in butcher paper?
I like those tupperware type divided plates with covers in a cloth bag with handles- bags can be made out of any old fabric.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never thought of cloth.....so true, remember in the olden days, Laura Ingalls would wrap their slice of bread or something in a cloth rag and put into the metal pail lunch bucket.

Cloth is used for a long time to wrap sandwiches and are washable and an instant napkin also.

great idea!!!!!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We save yogurt and other containers too. I bought a package of the sandwich shaped plastic boxes (you know the cheapie ones) and they have been re-used a million times.

I do so love the idea of bento boxes, but I agree WAY too expensive.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW!!! I thought I was weird. Everyone in the house makes fun of me for washing out the bagggies and using them over and over. I now feel vindicated. :) Thank you all!!! By the way, I also use the empty bread wrappers to store things in short term.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't used sandwich bags in years--and even then only occasionally.
I went to the dollar store and bought resealable containers of different sizes. Sandwiches, yogurt, muffins, popcorn etc-- all go in resealable containers.