How to get rid of mats on a cat - PLEASE HELP!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a barn cat with semi-long hair that is covered with mats. Is there anything I can do besides shaving him to get rid of the mats? It is really bad - on one side he is a solid mat from behind his front leg to in front of his hind leg.

I have tried to tease the mats out, but his fur came with and he ended up with a bald spot. Who knew cats were not attached to their fur very well, lol.

Our barn cats are really friendly, but will only tolerate so much ... they have all their claws and are not afraid to use them.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At this point it sounds like you need to cut off all of the mats, or shave as you said.

In the future to prevent it from happening again, would you be able to spend some time every day brushing and or combing him? Having a mat cutter as part of your grooming tools helps.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, once that bad it needs to be shaved.

I worked at a vet once, and on occasion we would get a cat that we would sedate in order to fully shave.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably like a number 2 buzz cut might work. But idk if the cat would like that much 😂. Sharp teeth & claws plus a fear of the unknown, sounds like a recipe for blood in the making.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will take my tiny sewing scissors out there tonight and try to trim off the mats, leaving as much hair underneath as I can. It will probably take a week or so, but it will bet done. I feel so bad for him - but why didn't he self groom?!? My indoor cats groomed themselves all the time - I cleaned up enough hair balls to prove it.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I knew someone would give me advice.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Use cornstarch. I buy the cheap $1.00 box from DG called Clover Valley. Work it into the matt and comb out. Do this outside as it gets messy. Ive combed out very matted Yorkies with it. It absorbs the oils which cause the matting.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have to shave.

Luke mats every spring when he turns into a short haired cat from a long haired one. I can brush him one night and when he comes in the next day bam mats. I don't fully shave him. Just the mats, but then he will sit there and let me take care of the ones on his neck. He lays on the back of the chair for the armpits and lower chest.

Modern cat clippers are fairly quiet and work well. I just had to order a new pair because hubby stole them to use on his beard. *sigh* he likes them better than the beard trimmers he's had.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Totally... not helpful... I'm being. But my answer to matted hair on a cat: I will never willingly have a long haired cat in my possession!!!
Never say never, just saying.

I swore I wouldn't ever have a cat, then a stray turned up with Bob Marley's dead locks and fleas. He's now top dog in this home.