How to Make Butter

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals
wow, 4 cups for only 1/2 cup butter. that sounds expensive when I think about buying cream and then making it...hmm...
I will check out the price of natural butter in my health food store and see what is in it and price for how many sticks (if it comes in sticks...lol)

research time!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It is totally never going to be price-competetive buying cream from the store to make butter... the markup for small quantities just kills you. Only really makes sense if you have a cow, IMHO.

To me the best thing is to find a local dairy selling their own butter.

Pat

CityChook

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I purchase milk and cream from a local small organic dairy here in MN. It is lightly pasturized but not homogenized, so the fat rises to the top. You have to shake it vigorously before pouring. It's more expensive than gold, but worth every penny to me. And don't even get me started on the chocolate milk and ice cream...

So a couple of weeks ago I took a thermos of coffee with me on errands. I put a bit of cream in a small jam jar and popped it into my purse for refills later. Would you believe that that silly cream turned to butter right there in my purse just from the rumbly rumbly of my truck! My kids were thrilled and we went straight home and had some bread and butter. It was delicious.

Don't overthink this and make it more complicated than it needs to be. But don't use grocery store cream either. Find a local dairy as your supplier. Grassfed cows make it even better. They're out there. Good luck!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We made our own butter when I was a kid, my mom traded eggs for milk(raw, nonhomogonized). We put a marble in the jar to speed up the process & it does work better with cold cream than warm cream. We also added the salt while we were churning it from the begining. We had fresh buttermilk, butter & whipped cream along with our fresh raw milk!! By those were the days. I am hping when dh gets the heifer bred we will milk her, as she is calmer than her mother(who is blind in one eye).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when you get milk HM I know you will be making butter! you are a great SS person..you know how to do so much stuff already! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You better believe I will, I have a Dazey butter churn I bought in an antique store that has just been sitting up ontop of my cabinet looking pretty. Plus my mom got the churn she used to make butter for her family when she was a kid from an aunt 2 yrs ago(i need to write her again). My mom said she is giving it to me but I haven't seen it yet! Plus we will have fresh whipped cream too for desserts!! And the buttermilk will go for salad dressings & in baking & pancakes/waffles. So nothing will go to waste for us! I try to be as ss as possible but it is still a work in progress & getitng dh on board has been a slow process. He has agreed to get 3 different types of trees for now & get them added to our supply(lemon-1, pear11-2 & apple-2 at least) I want to add a grapefruit & we have winter friends that have one & supply us with all we want but if the economy tanks they won't be coming out & there goes our supply of grapefruits. Not to mention they are both in ther 70's & she said that if he died she would not come out here by herself. I want more than 1 lemon but I will settle for 1(for now). Plus if he gives in to more then I want a lime tree too, so 1 lemon & 1 lime would suffice for awhile(little while).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are definitely going into the right direction big time. you know what you want, can do it, and can use it. so many plant things and then don't use it!! I see apple trees in yards that just let the apples fall and rot. drives me crazy! :) you plant to eat and that is wonderful!

honestly Pam I don't know where you find the time to do all you do! I am home and while I do alot, you seem to do so much more. COOL.....you must be one fast little lady! HA HA ...and you know what you are doing so that means you can move forward fast. I seem slower. I am learning on how to do it like you. from scratch. I farm etc. but the household stuff is more foreign to me...LOL...I would rather be giving critters shots then inside the house and baking and storing stuff..HA HA...but I need to truly learn all this.

good deal on the butter and buttermilk. you make milking a cow sound delicious! :lol:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would much rather be outside than inside scrubbing toliets too! But if I don't do it it never gets done. But I do love to bake too! Actually I get the kids to help do things, of course DAnielle is just learning how to do certain things, but as she grows she will be given chores just like her brothers have had. Don helps with the floors, he likes my new steam mop, I knew what I was doing when I bought that :lol: And sometimes I stay up really late at night after the kids go to bed to get things done uninterupted.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
steam mop....had Don's name written all over it! LOL

yea I do tons at night. I only got 1 kid and it takes her getting to sleep for me to get the real work done...LOL

Nicole is so into baking. Make brownies for daddy, make muffins for daddy, make spaghetti for daddy,....hmmm...the whole time "licking" the bowl is the most important thing....HA HA HA

I guess I am learning more of baking cause she loves too...funny thing is after licking the bowl she sure doesn't want to eat the finished product.

which is good, keeps her slim..HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Before I broke my arm in the accident I used to make all kinds of cakes for people for b'days, weddings, baby showers, etc. After I was done with them I did not want to eat any of it at all!! So I understand her dilemia :p
A lot of times I get work done in the mornings too before the kids get up(unless I get on here of course).