How to make hard cider ??

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
A Kitchen Queen???

:drool
Yup. got it delivered last Thursday. Now I have to get the stove pipe installed so I can make a fire!
Yippeee!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the links TanksHill! I didn't check out the you tube video but the website was great. I'd just been thinking this would be a good thing to look into. During the hot days, I tend to rush straight home from a long day of work, hit the market for a $5 Spire cider, and drink the whole darn 22 ounces myself. Wonderful!! But expensive after a while. Oh, and quite possibly the reason for the scale telling me I gained 5 pounds in a week but that's another matter altogether. :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Brew-Hard-Cider-from-Scratch/

I have done it a couple of different ways and they all worked out OK for me.

1) Just let fresh squeezed cider set and work with an air lock. When the bubbles stop, enjoy.

2) Boil fresh cider, let cool, add champagne yeast and raisins, let work with an air lock. When the bubbles stop, tap it off the lee's, let work again until clear. Enjoy.

3) Take fresh squeezed cider, toss in raisins and sugar, add a little bit of yeast, let work. Tap off the lee's, bottle it and let it finish working in the bottle. Makes bubbly hard cider.

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks, so can i make it in my wine making carboy with the air lock? Approximately how long will it take?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Brew-Hard-Cider-from-Scratch/
2) Boil fresh cider, let cool, add champagne yeast and raisins, let work with an air lock. When the bubbles stop, tap it off the lee's, let work again until clear. Enjoy.
In an attempt to preserve some cider, I canned it in qt jars (10 min, 10 psi). A lot of the stuff that makes cider cider coagulated and sank to the bottom of the jars. Since then, I've read a little about heat treating cider and found that it's quite sensitive. A few degrees to low and the bacteria from those windfalls that fell on a deer turd won't be killed off. A few degrees too high and you end up with cloudy apple juice instead of cider. But maybe it doesn't matter. When you boiled it, what happened? Was the brewing successful anyway?