How to question

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I need to move some stall doors around out at the farm. Only problem being, when they were put in, whoever did it rounded out the heads on the screws. I tried to use different sizes of screwdrivers to get them out, but had no luck. They're flush to the wood on both sides of the hinges, so I can't saw them off. (Plus, then the rest of the screw would be in the way!) And, since the doors and barn are wood, I don't think I want to try to heat it w/a torch to get them loose. So, how can I remove these screws?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are they just small screws or bigger, like bolts? You might have to drill them out. There is a reverse drill bit that can be used for projects like that. Most automotive supply/parts stores have them. Then ask the guy or gal behind the counter for explicit directions on how to do it. You really can't screw it up any worse than it already is, so jump in and give it a whirl!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They're screws. I forget if they're 1 1/2" or 2". I was able to get one out, but that was it, so I put it back in.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've used a hack saw to cut a slot it rounded-out phillips screws.

Are the screws large enough to drill a small hole? If so, you may be able to get it out with an "easy-out". It's in wood so your chances are good.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just put a metal cuting disk on my Dremal tool . First I'll try cutting the slot in the screw deeper. If that doesn't work I cut a whole new slot crossing the old slot at about 90 degrees. Then I use a old driver that that has been ground down to be a tight fit to the slot cut by the Dremal disk once it has been broken loose by hand it can usually be zipped out with a power driver. One of these days I am going to grind a power bit that fits the Dremal slot so I can use ti for driving not just extracting these rounded out screws. ~gd

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi, Deb. Did you search back and find this thread (about removing stuck screws and bolts)?
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12573

Anyhow, the "reverse drill bit" that baymule was referring to above is probably a little device sold under various brand names, one of the better-known being Easy Out. They can often help quite well in doing the job you're describing.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Hi, Deb. Did you search back and find this thread (about removing stuck screws and bolts)?

Anyhow, the "reverse drill bit" that baymule was referring to above is probably a little device sold under various brand names, one of the better-known being Easy Out. They can often help quite well in doing the job you're describing.
Formal name screw extractor but they usually ruin the screw head so that the screw can't be reused. And because they have to be hard to dig into the screw they are easy to snap off and then you are really screwed!Sorry I just couldn't resist....~gd

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
~gd said:
Joel_BC said:

Formal name screw extractor but they usually ruin the screw head so that the screw can't be reused. And because they have to be hard to dig into the screw they are easy to snap off and then you are really screwed!Sorry I just couldn't resist....~gd
This is quite a "screwy" subject! :lol:

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tack weld a nut or even a small bolt to the head of each screw and you should be able to turn them out.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, while that might work, there's 2 problems w/it for me.

1. I don't know how to weld yet.
2. I'd have to take a ton of stuff out to the farm w/me.

I'm just getting a screw extractor and doing it that way.