How To Remove Ink Stains From A Pair of Jeans?

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a really nice pair of jeans with ink stains on them. I can't recall but I figure it was probably a sharpie that did it. Is there any way at all to get the ink out or are these jeans ruined? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Put a towel or rag under the spot in question and spray the spot with hairspray. The towel will catch the ink, then you launder as usual.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ballpoint ink will come out with hairspray or isopropyl alcohol, but Sharpie is pretty permanent ;)

That said, I have seen Sharpie marks wash out to almost unnoticeable status with just normal laundering (life with teenagers :rolleyes:).

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I tried the hair spray and it didn't work since the ink is permanent. However, I have thought of something else since the ink isn't coming out. Since holey jeans are in style anyways, I will just make a hole in the jeans where the ink is! The ink spot isn't that big, so this should work. :) I'm glad to have thought of it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Have you tried Mean Green cleaning spray? I get it at the Dollar Store for like $2 and it even takes out chocolate stains. Spray it on the stained area, let sit for a minute or two, wash normally.

I've used it on delicates and baby laundry, have even removed "aged" stains on satin with it.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've never heard of Mean Green cleaning spray before. It sounds like some good stuff, though! I'll have to get some, my bottle of Spray and Wash is about out anyways.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Have you tried Mean Green cleaning spray? I get it at the Dollar Store for like $2 and it even takes out chocolate stains. Spray it on the stained area, let sit for a minute or two, wash normally.

I've used it on delicates and baby laundry, have even removed "aged" stains on satin with it.
I think I will get some of this and try it. I have some old hand embroideried and crocheted pillowcases that my mom and grandma made years ago.They yellow so badly with time, and there are oily hair stains (I guess) on them, from when guys used to brilcreme their hair. They have a sort of oily feel, too.
Yick! Sure would be nice to be able to use them.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also wanted to mention that Goop will take the color out of jeans or whatever you use it on. Not entirely, but you will notice some faded out blotches. My DH uses Goop on oil stains on his clothes, and it always looks sort of bleached out.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Awesome Cleaner from the dollar store may work. I had sharpie marker on my countertop that I tried to remove with everything I could think of...goo gone; alcohol, skin so soft; nail polish remover, gasoline...nothing worked. I was using awesome cleaner on something else and thought what the heck, gave a small squirt and wiped, the sharpie mark was gone instantly.

I also used awesome cleaner to clean a light fixture from a kitchen that hadn't been cleaned in YEARS....greasy, dirty, dustballs, dried up bugs...yak!!! It had a textured surface with lots of little crevices. I sprayed it down good and left it in the sink. Came back a while later...everything had dissolved off, I rinsed well with water, dried and reinstalled....sometimes that awesome cleaner sort of scares me....