How we went from $42,000 to $6,500 and lived to tell about it!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Interesting to read but I really don't trust articles about the beauty of that kind of life when nothing is mentioned about things going wrong. I spent too much of my life hearing the "rest of the story."
Like the man who broke his leg, was a charity case in the hospital, but still lost his place when he couldn't run his business of selling firewood during the season.
Or the husband of a friend who fell from a ladder while building his own home- he broke both arms. Luckily wife was a working nurse- but still set them back two years.
Or the husband who's wife was diagnosed with cancer and eventually the stress of dealing with that cause a heart attack for him- they lost everything.
It's nice that it worked for them but that is as much luck as planning. Living a healthy life does not bar bad things happening.
A little less touchy-feely and a little more hard reality, which I do think must have been part of the story, would have made it a better example, especially when it ended with a sales offer. :)
But still worth reading.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Interesting to read but I really don't trust articles about the beauty of that kind of life when nothing is mentioned about things going wrong. I spent too much of my life hearing the "rest of the story."
Like the man who broke his leg, was a charity case in the hospital, but still lost his place when he couldn't run his business of selling firewood during the season.
Or the husband of a friend who fell from a ladder while building his own home- he broke both arms. Luckily wife was a working nurse- but still set them back two years.
Or the husband who's wife was diagnosed with cancer and eventually the stress of dealing with that cause a heart attack for him- they lost everything.
It's nice that it worked for them but that is as much luck as planning. Living a healthy life does not bar bad things happening.
A little less touchy-feely and a little more hard reality, which I do think must have been part of the story, would have made it a better example, especially when it ended with a sales offer. :)
But still worth reading.
Well, the sales pitch was not for the lifestyle but for the bread baking info, so I don't see where that would detract from the message of the article.

As for hard reality, that happens in any lifestyle choice. For instance, if I broke both of my arms right now I would be just where your friend's husband is...without a wife for a backup. Losing everything is one of the risks of actually living your life. Sometimes you lose. Some of us live with that risk every day of our lives, so this article didn't seem like an unreality to me.

To me, this article seemed to be more into the pros of the choice they made and not so much into the problems they may have faced or may have to face later.

No, living a healthy life does not bar bad things happening to you, but it is one method of being proactive in your health choices. Just like not smoking doesn't insure you won't get cancer, but it sure does help to avoid the obvious carcinogen of tobacco smoke.

Things going wrong is a fact of life. Any kind of life. These people chose a particular kind of life that has brought them fulfillment and peace....I don't think they went out of their way to hide the possible downsides of their life, just was trying to show people that it isn't the big transition that most folks think it is to downscale to a simpler kind of life. :)

I know that for some this kind of life change is not based in reality and is not feasible in today's economy. But...doesn't the fact that some have, and some still are , trying it challenge one's thoughts about what life is, or could be? Or does this type of thing seem so foreign or monumental that one cannot imagine how one could ever do it? Or would even want to do it.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My brain is foggy, so I skimmed it, but found it informative in a creative way. There are many stories out there of people dropping everything and starting over in a much simpler life, and it worked. Does it work for everyone? NO! A great friend of mine couldn't even think of an outhouse, or food from a garden, or killing your own food. Its not feesable. For others, the simple life is having your own garden, nothing else. Personally, I'm going all out, and find this to be a great article.

They admit, without doubt, they need some form of income. They got creative and educational all in one motion. Sell the bread, educate the consumer, make money. Not too shabby! haha Now I couldn't do it on 2 1/2 acres, but I have plans for livestock as well as a garden. I also have plans for a 'market garden' for income. Growing things I don't normally eat, but know there is a want for, and selling it at a Farmer's Market.

Will it be hard? Heck yes! I will hurt, I will bleed, I will cry, I will have bouts of foot stomping madness. But in the end, I will have the skills and lifestyle that I want. I will be healthy and happy in all aspects, and I will know that I'm helping myself, my kids, and the environment with all of my shenanigans. JMO

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The point I'm making is this: many of us can no longer think in terms of having a lifetime career anymore. For whatever reason, things are changing in this country. Outsourcing and cheaper labor costs in other countries will continue to eliminate jobs in the United States. And though the opportunity still exists to work, we must understand that it may be only temporary. While continuing to work at a job or career one should be wise and set up a plan to survive without steady employment for certain periods of time if necessary
Hard to argue with THAT!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will it be hard? Heck yes! I will hurt, I will bleed, I will cry, I will have bouts of foot stomping madness. But in the end, I will have the skills and lifestyle that I want. I will be healthy and happy in all aspects, and I will know that I'm helping myself, my kids, and the environment with all of my shenanigans. JMO
Now that's the attitude I think it takes to make it in this sort of venture. I know my folks were just as determined when they made the leap. It was hard. I can testify to the fact that it was extremely hard, especially since my dad didn't want to try to make extra money from the land/animals/growing things. He wanted to exist on his income by scaling down and growing our own foods, hunting, etc.

I think, if my dad had been more adventurous and had more confidence in his own skills, he could have been quite successful in making money on the side using his know-how and ingenuity. Both my mom and dad had wonderful skill sets they could have marketed successfully if they had only tried.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Bee- I do see the creativity and courage in their article. I guess I spent too much time in my life listening to people shine it on. Reading about people who have "creative" lifestyles- who do unconventional things and make it sound so good. Meanwhile I got to see the dirty little truths- that "independence" is fictional- they get trust funds, sell pot, food stamps, SSI, Medicaide, etc. The people in general don't know this- just those who actually get to see records.
Not that any of those things may be fraudulent but that the news paper carries a story of one thing, while another really goes on.

Now you on the other hand, where raised by people who did do this. So I believe you when you say something similar.

I guess that is why I like a little "inconvenient truth" in a story. Makes me more trusting.

Still I repeat, it's an interesting story to read. Has some thoughtful points.

From the Grinch................

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
A great friend of mine couldn't even think of an outhouse, or food from a garden, or killing your own food.
Outhouse????? OMG I nearly grew up with outhouses. My family always had indoor plumbing, but a few cousins and friends had em. I always hated them only because I was afraid I'd fall into that yuck and nobody would get me out. I preferred to bare my butt behind a bush somewhere than to use the outhouse, but there wasn't always that option. I loved visiting those people and sometimes staying a few days and have great memories, but I always loved coming home to a "safe" toilet better. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
There is something about being a little kid and having to go to that dark and stinky outhouse with that big hole. And sometimes there was no paper either ;)