Howdy!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I shoveled the snow off 2 of my raised beds last week, then spread plastic over one of them. Hopefully, that will get the soil thawed enough for me to plant some cold weather crops under a tunnel in a couple weeks. Getting antsy to get some soil under my fingernails. My neighbors won't get any seeds in the ground until Memorial day. That: because they can't think outside the box when it comes to planting a garden. "Must till the soil before planting. But... can't till the soil until the ground dries out. And won't plant ANYTHING until reasonably sure there won't be any late frosts."

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I want to be hardcore....

I sprinkle ash over the garden, once it is a good guess that no more huge snows are coming.

Once the snow is gone, clear plastic until all weed seeds sprout... hoe weeds, plant garden seeds, replace plastic until seeds are close to touching the plastic... then replace plastic with grow cloth.

Can't imagine shoveling the snow off... unless it was less than a foot deep.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are records of snow every month of the year here,

Ack!

That would drive me batty.

With all of our issues... at least we don't snow in the summer!

Sounds like you must get some heat, since you can grow corn and beans outside.

Here I have very little heat... except the greenhouse.

So all of the hot weather things like beans or tomatoes need the green house.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have about a month of temps in the 90's, in August. It's enough if you pick the right varieties.

I had a cousin (she passed some years ago) that lived on the Kenai Peninsula; I remember vividly her telling us that for them, 70F was a major heat wave. Hard to wrap your head around when you're living in southern Cal, where I grew up, but I guess you learn to bloom where you're planted, lol

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
👩‍🌾 Hello 2021 New folks, Good Morning and Welcome to The S.S. Family!:welcome 👩‍🌾