hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum, I love, love, love grits but only one of my children like them and she likes cheesey grits.

I always seem to drive faster and faster the closer I get to where I'm going. I'm glad you had such an enjoyable trip.:weee

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
NH! Never had grits!! Oh my!!! Maybe we'll need to change that. Either you need drive south, or we gotta get a care package together!! I would seriously consider trading grits for syrup!

And yes, lcertuche, I drive faster when I get closer when I've been driving for a long time! Not exactly a good habit...

Well, I might be round these parts a bit more this week since I'm in the office covering for somebody who is away on vacation. So we'll see how busy they keep me. I might be a captive audience so yall may see a lot of me, LOL

Not much happening, the weekend was mostly good. My friend CM and I got together on Saturday and prepped a bunch of food. We're starting a 30 day cleanse and are going to try to eat really clean, following the 'whole30' plan. Which sucks. No dairy, sugar, or grains, or even beans. (But potatoes are ok....?!) Staying away from processed foods. :barnie :he:th:hit I mean for real.
I did just find out that one of my coworkers is also doing the same thing, so at least I've got another person to commiserate with about not being able to eat all the good things in life. That's not true, I did eat salmon cakes, tomato soup and a big salad for lunch. And that was yummy. It just took a lot of prep, and I'm really lazy. I also forgot to get meat out for dinner tonight, so I'm going to have to buy something when I stop at the store. Not excited about that. And really, I'm not excited about going to the grocery store again. I need to get the last few things for the BF this week so he has lunch stuff. He's, of course, not doing this. So I'll see how I feel in 30 days. I'm really hoping this will put a dent in my allergies and help me reset so that I feel better, maybe less achy, maybe more energy. I'm hopeful anyway. There'd better be some kind of results for all this struggle anyway, otherwise, I'll have missed out on 30 days of cheese and butter and beans!!!! FOR REAL!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No butter or cheese for 30 days? Life just ain't fair, I tell ya! Not fair at all....

But, let me know how you feel 30 days from now!

hqueen13

Reaction score
I'm seriously not even sure I can make it 30 days without butter or cheese, FEM. For real. :th
We'll see... I may end up cheating a bit and doing what works for me. I know dairy bothers my allergies, but I love it so much!!
It's gonna be an interesting 30 days that's for sure!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even know what grits are! Lol. Another reason to go visit the south!

30 days without dairy... No thanks! Good luck!

hqueen13

Reaction score
NH Grits are the tiny white spot in the middle of a corn kernel. If you squish a corn kernel you'll find it. It takes a lot of those little dots to make up grits, but they are a WONDER. Some people like them sweet, with maple syrup. I'd rather have them with cheese, sausage, bacon or just butter. The recipe I have calls for heavy cream and water to make them, and they divine (even if my body isn't happy with all that dairy! LOL)

And yeah, I'm really not sure how I'm going to go 30 days without butter. I'm off to the local organic store to see if they have Gee or Clarified butter... At least that would be something!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wikipedia says:
Grits
are a food made from corn that is ground into a coarse meal and then boiled. Hominy grits are a type of grits made from hominy with the germ removed, which is corn that has been treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization. Grits are usually served with other flavorings [1] as a breakfast dish, usually savory. Grits were traditionally popular in the Southern United States but now are available nationwide. They may also be found as an evening entrée when made with shrimp served in restaurants primarily in the Southern United States.[1] Grits should not be confused with boiled ground corn maize which makes "hasty pudding" or "mush" or when using coarse ground corn, which may be made into polenta, or the "mush" made from more finely ground corn meal.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I had no idea grits were made of corn, lol. Sounds good! Everything is good with cheese and bacon.