hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That paint technique sounds interesting and pretty! I wish I could see it in person. I'm one of those toss a bucket of paint at the wall and fill in the gaps kinda people :p

Oh and happy new year!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can you put a heater in the tanks to keep the water from freezing?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your painting sounds pretty.....picture? I know the party will be fun, your friends will be happy to help welcome y'all into your new home!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Deb, many of them are just too far from the barn where the electric is, and she doesn't trust her electric to run cords (which is probably a good thing, cords that are makes me nervous anyway). I need to light a fire under the BF to get him to help me get the stuff set up at the house so I can bring Storm home so that it will stop costing me time and money to keep him there!

I'll have to get yall a picture soon! I'm terrible about that, LOL

We've managed to continue to get things picked up and cleaned up. The BF finished installing the new light in the bathroom in the basement. I think I forgot to mention that he took apart the faucet and replaced some gaskets and now it doesn't leak and it works! We debated buying a new faucet, but at the price that they cost, I told him I'd rather not spend the money only to settle on something AND know that we are planning on redoing the whole thing anyway. It's got paneling in there, and when we redo the bathroom upstairs we're going to have to rip it all out to get to the plumbing as it is, so it makes more sense to just wait and get something nicer when we're ready for it. Besides, the gaskets to fix it were only $2. I'd rather spend $2 and settle with what's there than spend $20 or $40 to settle on something new. So now I just have to clean up all that crap from the mess he made!

While he was finishing up that I hung the pictures in the hallway, so that's done. A few more things off of the guest bed at least!

I got the shopping done yesterday morning. I still need to find plates, but I found cute napkins for .20 since they were on holiday clearance. I spent WAY too much at BJ's again (I'm afraid that's going to become known as the $150.00 store...), and stopped at Aldi and Target for a few things. I'm sort of hoping that we have left over food so I can eat that for a few days since I spent so much money on it! I still need to get the beer and plates, oh and some bagel chips for the Chex Mix (I LOVE home made chex mix!).

I worked in the office yesterday getting things sorted out and straightened up. There are things I'll need to deal with after the party, but at least for now they are tucked away. I have 2 boxes of knickknacks that I need to open. I'm afraid to open them because I really don't want to clutter things up. I need to though because there are a few of my things that I want out of there. I guess maybe I can pick and choose and wrap the rest of it back up.

I also got the sheets changed, and then washed the duvet, and put the down blanket in the dryer with the dryer balls and some essential oils. My allergies have been bothering me and I was wondering if it was from the blanket. It seemed to help a little, but we'll see. Nothing like crawling in a fresh made bed though!

Yesterday after he got home we got a few things organized, and then he helped me get a bunch of things up into the attic. I was getting frustrated because he wanted to do other things and I finally was like *I* can vacuum the mess in the bathroom, I can't put things up in the attic by myself. He gets so easily distracted sometimes! I appreciate him wanting to clean up the mess, but I can manage that. I can't manage the big heavy boxes! So we finally got all that up in the attic, which felt so good! I can reach the closet in the guest bedroom again!

This morning I woke up to a mess. Blowing snow everywhere. It is only a dusting, but it was really bad on the roads. I got up at 5, when the BF was leaving and he texted me a few minutes after he left to tell me not to leave because the roads were so bad. He saw the plow JUST getting onto the highway when he got on. And since our road has a downhill directly into a busy road, AND since my tires have no tread left AND my 4wd isn't working I decided to wait it out a bit.

So I worked more in the house, I got the guest room picked up (mostly stuff shoved into the closet, but you know), and then dusted our bedroom (seriously, where the heck does it all come from?!?! We've only been there a month!!!), and then vacuumed the bedroom and the office. There are still a few more things that need to get moved off the floor in the guest room and I'll dust and vacuum it. I got 2 more pictures hung in our bedroom, and emptied the dishwasher. I'm glad I was able to do something since I wasn't able to be in the office so early.

I finally left at 8, and the snow was crazy blowing. It was scary getting off of our street, but I managed, and decided I was going to stop at the auto parts store to get more washer fluid because I was OUT and salt spray is NOT good for seeing clearly. Poor guys in the autoparts store thought I was a guy because I was bundled up from head to toe. It was crazy trying to pour the stuff into the little tank, too, it was blowing all over the place. Finished that and headed to my friend's. Her driveway hadn't been plowed, so I just parked at the top and walked down, and prayed nobody needed to leave the driveway (they live on a shared driveway). Finished the chores in a hurry and drove to the office. I decided to switch offices for the day because I didn't want to drive all the way to the main office down back roads and stuff.

Got into the office about 9 and discovered that the boss had decided that we didn't need to open until 10:30. Gah. But I also discovered that nobody had really prepared for this, and so the phone was going crazy, and the morning patients hadn't been called. I sorted that out and then finally got to talk to some people to figure out what was going on about 9:30. Fun times.

So I'm going to sit here alone on my butt for most of the day and then head back to my friend's to take care of the horses and go home. I hope traffic isn't too bad this afternoon, but at least by then the slippery stuff should be gone.

I texted my realtor this morning and told him that this winter was going to stink because it was going to be nothing but really annoying little snow storms that don't amount to anything but mess things up because we bought a house and he bought an old Bronco with a giant snow blower on the front of it (yes, old truck with snow blower, not plow, blower). So we're just gonna have to deal with this tiny storms that mess things up but don't amount to anything. Very annoying!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How much snow did you get total? We're at about 5", and I think the worst of it is over.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looking at snow storms on the news........hope it doesn't hit you.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Nope, we only got a bit more than an inch again. I told my realtor that's all we're gonna get this winter because he has the snow blower on his bronco and we bought a house, so they're cancelling each other out and just making for an annoying mess!

It's been COLD here, though. Bone chilling cold. For the past week + we haven't had highs that have hit the 20's. Our lows have been threatening to hit zero (and did on the farm where Storm is). I've been watching all my poor southern friends down in FL, GA, and LA and seeing all of them with frozen pipes. I can sympathize, because I've been there, but I have to laugh because while I'm watching all their crying posts about pipes frozen it was 6 degrees here. Shove a space heater in there and it'll be fine!

We had our party this weekend and it was fabulous! We had about 30 people come, most of which were the BF's family. Several of my friends made it and it was great to catch up with them. We told people we didn't really want anything, but many of them gave us things anyway. We got a few bottles of wine, several gift bags of neat things, and quite a few gift cards to home depot. Those will be SUPER handy soon! I feel so blessed to have all the friends and family supporting us that we do. The house looked fabulous (I wish I had time to get a tree up, but oh well), and everyone loved everything. They were all so impressed with how together the house was. I was like, what the heck am I supposed to do - sit on my butt and stare at boxes and paint colors I hate?!

Sunday I had to do all the chores in the barn, which stunk, but I got it done. I didn't get back home until noon. The BF had hot cider waiting for me, and a fire going, which was awesome. We were going to try to hike to a waterfall nearby that I haven't been to yet, and a friend had posted that she went and it was completely frozen over. I was really excited, but when we got there the place was PACKED and the park won't let you into the parking area if it is full, so we weren't able to go. I had an allergy attack, I think from the hay and dust in the barn, and so I wasn't feeling all that great anyway. I wanted to soak in the tub, but I didn't make it quite warm enough since I forgot that the water has to be warm but it also has to heat up the cast iron tub. We made chili and mashed potatoes for dinner and that was good, and then we crashed at about 8.

They're threatening a rain to freezing rain storm this afternoon and I don't know what I'm going to do. My truck is really not reliable in anything slick, and I don't want to be too far away from home when it happens. So we'll see how all that plays out.

One of the girls at the barn's boyfriend works at a car dealer, and he had an 09 Explorer at the farm the other day that is for sale. It's got 4wd and ONLY 48k miles on it. Perfect for exactly what I need. So now I'm researching loans and stuff to figure out if I can squeeze it into the budget. It's a major need with my truck needing about 2k in *parts* alone, that I really would rather put into a new vehicle! So we'll see how everything comes together. Keep your fingers crossed and send good juju that happens.