hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Tractor brand alliances are as bad as cars! :gigThe BF doesn't like the gas/brake rocker pedal style of the Kubota. I haven't driven one, so I don't know. He agrees they're tough tractors, but it's an ergonomic preference I think. And don't worry, he'll work on the tractor anyway, LOL. He's already trying to figure out how to put a booster pump on the hydraulic system so it can be more powerful. And honestly, from the way this tractor looks, there shouldn't be much to work on. We'll see, but at least it is new with a warranty for a while. They also have some really nice innovations that make it easy to take care of, which is the biggest key in not needing to do repair things in the first place. The mower deck actually has a hose attachment so that you can spray it out after you finish mowing, so the grass doesn't get caked underneath. The entire loader assembly comes off by itself, so you basically un-pin it, and detach the hydraulic lines (Which are all color coded) and then back away from it and it rocks right off and has a kick stand that engages to hold it up.
He told his dad, who proceeded to tell him he didn't know why he was buying a tractor and not just buying a zero turn mower. I told him you should have told your dad BECAUSE POOP. I also told him that he should tell his dad that he's not allowed to borrow it if he's going to have that attitude. I really hope he doesn't borrow it, but I know eventually he's going to ask.

This weekend was pretty productive. Saturday morning we headed down and took care of the horses, and then dropped off a light that the BF had replaced at the ReStore for donation. We checked to see if they had any exterior doors, but they didn't, so then we got back we got things organized to make a dump run. The BF cleaned out more stuff out of the shed so that we won't have to deal with that later during the great shed reconstruction. All of that took way longer than we really wanted to, but that's the way it rolls sometimes. The dump was BUSY, they had the line wrapped around an extra building to keep people from waiting in the road outside the dump, which is where we started. It felt good to get rid of a lot of that crap that had been lying around. We moved the tools under the new shed floor so that they are already out of the old shed. Beyond that we didn't get a whole lot done. I had to head back down to the horses, and then we ate dinner when I got back. We were getting ready to relax for the evening, and the BF went out the front door to go look at something, and we saw our neighbor ride down the road with her kiddos to take flowers to our next door neighbor, who has cancer. We hung around for a minute to see if we could say hello to her since we hadn't officially met her yet, just her husband. We ended up chatting for about 45 minutes, and she shared some orange crush that the made up to bring to our neighbor's sisters, who weren't at the house. The whole street is like a family, LOL. It was great to finally meet her and talk.

Sunday I got up and headed out to the barn to get the morning chores done, and then down to cowboy and coyote's place. We were going to get the manure cleaned up for them, finally. I got there before the BF came down with the pickup truck, and so I got things organized, and moved the horses up in to the upper pasture so we could keep all the gates open around the barn. They weren't too pleased about that, but oh well. The BF got there, and so I drove over to KD's farm to pick up the bobcat he was letting us use, and drove back to my friend's place. It's super exciting following a bobcat that only goes hardly 10 mph on a road that's 40mph and people do 55+mph on it.... Thankfully it's only about 200 yards from KD's driveway to my friend's driveway. I wish we could cut through the other neighbor's yard, but there's too many trees to make it through, and we wouldn't want to tear up the grass anyway (plus it's super boggy through there). It only took about 2 hours to clean up the paddocks and get all the manure piled up into one pile close to the gate. It was about lunch time, and the BF wanted to go look at a house for sale for his brother, who is deployed. I knew it wasn't going to work out for several reasons based on the pictures, but he insisted on going. And then he insisted on stopping by our house first to get a clean shirt since he'd been in the bobcat and was covered in poop dust. It took us 3 hours to grab lunch and go to see that house and get back to my friend's to keep working. The next step was loading the manure into the pickup, and driving it around to KD's farm compost pile and dumping it. 11 pickup truck loads and 5 hours later we finished. We were EXHAUSTED and dirty. The BF grabbed pizza on the way home, and we pretty much stuffed our faces and then headed straight for the shower, and then collapsed into bed. I'm just SO glad that Cowboy and Coyote don't have to walk through manure anymore, and this will be a big chunk of the down payment for the tractor! We'll stop by over there next Saturday when they're back home again to chat about the rest of the work that needs to be done plus discuss how all this payment stuff is going to work.
While we were working I also texted TW who is our other friend and neighbor of Cowboy and Coyote's owners and let her know we had access to the bobcat and could come do any clearing out that she needed, and she said she'd love to have her run-in shed cleaned out, too. I was looking as we drove by and there was still a lot of water around the shed from the excessive amount of rain that we've had, so I don't know when we can that done without tearing everything up, but hopefully soon, because that $$ will go to the tractor fund, too!
As we were working, the BF commented how awesome it was going to be to mow our own grass. I laughed and said are we going to fight over who mows? I get home first most of the time so I'll have an advantage... He said that's fine, you can mow, I'll find SOMETHING to do with the tractor! Fine by me! Ha!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me why I'm happy to not have horses. So. Much. Poop. Lol!

hqueen13

Reaction score
LOL true, NH Homesteader!! Of course, that was well over a year's worth, frankly. The problem was that they've never actually officially had the paddocks cleaned. I've cared for the boys for over 10 years, and they always just harrow it in, and it "disappears". It would get soggy when it rains, but it wouldn't be actual poop piled up. Just poopdirt. LOL. But with all the rain this past year plus their travel they haven't been able to harrow it. So it sat. And sat. and sat. And got SO gross. It's SO easy to clean up now. I'm only 2 days in, but I'm not minding picking it up. I just drag the wheelbarrow to the high side, and pick my way down to where I'm putting the pile. Not difficult at all. I think there were maybe 10 piles this morning, so that wasn't bad at all. Of course, it's dry, and the weather is comfortable right now... I guess we'll see how I feel when it's soggy, pouring, or snowing! LOL But yeah, not bad, and in my opinion TOTALLY worth it in the long run, for the health of the horses and for the bugs.

The weather continues to be nice! I'm not minding it at all! I hope it stays like this for a while, but I guess we'll see. I know there is some rain in the forecast, but hopefully it doesn't happen in the midst of trying to get more stuff done.

Nothing much else to report at this point...

hqueen13

Reaction score
Well. That was unexpected.

Friday I reheated soup from the freezer, and then we ate dinner out. I wasn't feeling all that great that evening, but then overnight I slept terribly and my stomach hurt. I woke up Saturday morning feeling queasy and really uncomfortable. I had a riding lesson with my out of town instructor, so I took her to the barn and we did that. I barely made it through, though, and even she said I looked green when I called it quits on riding (I only rode for about 5 minutes, I asked her to ride in the beginning because I felt SO bad). I came home and sent the BF to my friend's farm to go over the work they wanted to have done and just crawled in bed. I was upset that I didn't get to go with him, but I felt TERRIBLE. I slept for several hours then got up for a bit, still feeling bad. Then the trips to the bathroom started. From then until Monday middle of the day I didn't leave the bedroom or bathroom, and didn't eat anything. Even drinking wasn't staying in me, it was going straight through, fast. I have not been this sick in my adult life. Even when I had the flu once it wasn't like this. Finally I was able to start holding water and ate a piece of toast on Monday afternoon, the first thing I'd eaten since Friday night. If you know me you know that food is always a necessity. I had no idea I could live for 3 days and not eat anything. I didn't even want food. The food the BF made himself smelled good, but I had zero interest in eating it. That's one heck of a way to not spend money over the weekend for sure.

It's finally Tuesday and I'm beginning to eat again. Things aren't tasting great, and I'm not all that interested in eating too much. But at least I can eat without immediate repercussions. Still trying to rehydrate and catch up. Everything is making me tired still. I did manage to get the barn chores done this morning for my friends, but it took a LOT of effort, and I had to sit in the car when I finished. I went to the office for a few hours, and then stopped by the grocery store on the way home for a few things. I managed but it was DIFFICULT.

So at least that helps the budget a bit since there was NO money spent this weekend... Not exactly how I would have wanted to do it, but yeah. I had a nice paycheck on Monday since I'd worked so many extra hours. I'm just hoping I don't lose too many of them because of being sick. I'm trying to make it up from home, but it's not easy being so tired. Balancing self care and trying to make money is tricky, I seriously wouldn't have gone to Cowboy and Coyote's this morning if I didn't need the money.

We signed the papers for the tractor on Friday!! The BF gets to pick it up this Friday, and I'm excited! I was supposed to go over to Cowboy and Coyote's with him on Saturday to talk money with them, but I felt too bad, so I still have to have that conversation with them, and figure out how to balance the amount they pay us for handling the manure with the cost of the tractor. I'm getting nervous they aren't going to pay enough, but then I really think about it and I think they will. I want to have the conversation soon, though, because I don't like this dragging out.

Not much else going on, everything kind of stopped when I got sick! Thankfully tomorrow will be a quiet day, all I have to worry about is Cowboy and Coyote, so I can rest and catch up.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sorry you was sick. Do you think it was the stomach flu or food poisoning? The stomach flu is going through the nursing facility where I work. Both staff and residents are dropping like flies. I've heard that it's going around elsewhere as well. Don't push too hard. a bug like that can knock the stuffing out of you for longer than expected.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For stomach flu and even food poisoning, I use Apple Cider Vinegar and honey, mixed half and half. I keep a bottle of it, mixed, all the time. Put about 2 fingers worth in a cup of cold water and SIP on it. Even if you throw it up, enough will get in your system to help. Finish the cup of water, sip slowly. ACV is nature's disinfectant and kills the "bad bugs" that are making you sick, while not harming the beneficial bacteria that your body needs.

In 30 to 45 minutes, the diarrhea and vomiting will usually stop. Then go to bed and sleep it off.

For dehydration, mix 5 spoonfulls of sugar and 1 spoonful of salt in a glass of water. Again, slowly SIP on it. The sugar/salt solution forms an electrolyte solution. When you are throwing up water, or it is running right through you, the sugar/salt solution will be absorbed by your body.

By the way, none of this tastes that great, but it will save you days and days of running at both ends and wanting to die.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks @Lazy Gardener and @baymule
Things finally settled down on Monday. I was able to start drinking more again, and I ate a piece of toast and a couple bites of pain rice. Tuesday was better, and finally I feel like I was mostly eating normally again yesterday. I decided the biggest issue I'm still facing is not being rehydrated enough yet. I'm waking up in the middle of the night with a really dry mouth. So I've been working hard to try to drink extra during the day, though that's not easy to remember either.

The tractor comes tomorrow! Well, the BF is going to go get it. And of course, guess what it's supposed to do all weekend? Rain. I told him to grab the log splitter from work because even if it was wet we could at least use that and get that pile of wood out of the way. We'll have the tractor to drive the loads from the driveway side around to the wood holder, so that will be SUPER helpful!

Our sweet neighbor mowed the grass yesterday, too. His wife just passed away a week ago, and we're all heartbroken. I spoke with him yesterday afternoon, and he's doing as well as can be expected I guess. He said he was going to mow his yard, and I commented that we weren't getting the tractor until Friday and it was going to rain and he offered. I told him he really didn't have to. When I got back from Cowboy and Coyote, he asked again and I was like well, if you really want to. Who am I to refuse him if he's offering right now. I figured if it gives him something to do and takes his mind off of things then that would be a good thing. I told the BF we need to invite him over for dinner or something one night.

Not much else happening, things are plugging along, even if I am moving slowly. I got several things done in my business yesterday, which made me happy. I'm in the office today, but I came up to my other office instead of the main office because I didn't want to be around people and the boss is out of town so there's really no NEED for me to be there. I can do everything here that I need to do. I prefer to be alone so I can take it easy anyway.

So on the road to recovery, slowly but surely.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that you are feeling better, not 100%, but on the way.

A TRACTOR! You are going to love it! We have a 2320 Kubota tractor and I LOVE my tractor! That tractor is going to make such a difference. You'll wonder how you ever lived this long with NO tractor! LOL I am really happy for both of you that you got a tractor.

That's too bad about your neighbor's wife passing away. Yes, have him over for dinner. He sounds like a good neighbor.