hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:lol:
Ya'll are funny!
Everything has been sitting there for over a year, FEM, so I'm not all that fast. Once I get a wild hair to get it done though, look out! I'm SO glad that it IS done now, there's only one or two more papers I need to put away and I'll have it finished.
The guest bed STILL has stuff on it, but I didn't have all that much time take care of things yesterday when I got home. The BF and I decided to go grab dinner and make a BJ's run. We didn't have to get a lot, but we did pick up a few things.
So this afternoon I need to get as much cleaning done as I can. I also realized the kitchen desperately needs to be mopped, there's spots on the floor that are gross and obvious! I don't think it will take me all that long, and I will have time on Wednesday morning to do more cleaning before I have to leave for my friend's house. I guess if I get enough done this afternoon then I'll run to the grocery store on Wed morning. I doubt it will be busy that early in the morning. We'll just see what we can manage to get done. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure the house is clean, I don't like having a lot of people over and having a messy house, or dirty house. Hmm, I probably need to do some laundry, too... LOL. Like I said, I dropped everything to do that project and as a result things are much more over due than they ought to be right now.
Oh well, so it goes.
It's getting HOT here again, and the humidity is on the way up. That doesn't make me very happy, but there's nothing to be done about it. It just means that I'm not motivated to do anything outside, which stinks because there's lots to do outside, too. The wild violets are sprouting up in my garden bed and they're the size of small shrubs now... And since it has rained it would be a good time to try to get them pulled, along with all the other weeds and baby maple trees that are insisting on sprouting everywhere. I guess those projects will just wait! Plus the BF wants to get the roof done on the shed, which I don't blame him, but I don't know that I want to work in the heat, either. I guess we'll just have to see how things go. It's all a waiting game really! LOL

hqueen13

Reaction score
Ooooo Britesea that looks awesome!!
I have SO many in my yard that they make a carpet, so the ones in the garden beds can easily go. Though I wonder if the bigger plants make bigger flowers because the ones in the yard make teeny tiny flowers. The garden bed ones look like small shrubs now.... LOL Oops.

Had a great weekend with JS, and managed to get enough stuff done. I never got to the basement, but no one other than JS went down there, and she's been around long enough to not care about a bit of dirt here and there. We went for salt floats again on Friday afternoon and I just LOVE doing that. I really want to do it more often, I just need to scrape together more $$ so I can! She worked on me on Saturday afternoon, which was nice. I was a real mess, and she had to straighten me out again. I'm glad I had the float first, I think that helped a bit. Sunday we took care of the sessions and then I took her back to the airport again, and then came home and relaxed for a bit before I headed out to do evening chores.

The BF spent most of the day Saturday and Sunday helping our neighbor with a job for some extra cash. The neighbor came over and helped him get the rest of the roof on the shed on Sunday morning before they left, so that is at least to the next phase. It will still need the metal roofing to finish it off, but at least it's one step closer. Now we just need to get a tarp over it before it rains. again.

Sunday evening the BF was finishing up at the job, and I asked if he was going to make it down to Cowboy and Coyote's to get the manure moved out. We were at about 4 weeks, which is about as long as we would want to wait because it is a LOT of manure at that point. I really wanted to get it done before they came back home again, and he already had the tractor on the trailer borrowed from the other neighbor since he was up doing that job. When I realized how late it was going to be before he got there I suggested that he meet me at the barn and help me finish the barn chores, and then we go back to Cowboy and Coyote to get the manure moved. The other option was him moving the manure by himself, which I didn't think he'd be all that interested in either. I was grateful for his help and we got the chores finished in under an hour. Summer stalls are SO much easier to muck than in winter! Sometimes the horses don't even pee, and you hardly need any sawdust in them. We headed back to Cowboy and Coyote and got that done, and were exhausted and dirty by the time we were finished. We both debated and failed at decision making for dinner. He finally ordered a pizza to have it delivered. Thankfully I was the first home and got there just as she was walking up the porch to deliver it. That was fast! I put it in the oven to keep it warm, and then helped the BF get everything unloaded and get the trailer back into my neighbor's yard again. We both headed into the shower and fell into bed after that. I was so tired I completely forgot to clean the litter boxes before bed, like I do every other night.

The week has started out ok. Nothing much to report. The BF is working on getting the numbers together for how much it's going to cost to put siding on the shed. This is turning into an expensive shed. I could have told him that from the getgo, but he wouldn't have listened to me anyway. I don't mind, because it will be what we want and need, so that's a good thing. And this week we have an extra day to work on it since Thursday is a holiday. I'm excited to get some things done since we'll have the time. I do have to do barn chores in the evening, but other than that, we can get some things done. We need to go over to his parent's house and get out the last few things that are over there, including the old bale spike which we need to sell, which will be extra cash to pay for the things for the shed! It will be good to get those things done. And then we have one day and the weekend again, which hopefully we'll be able to keep getting stuff done again. I just hope it doesn't rain much or be too hot, because the threat of storms is in the forecast for the next several days. The temps are headed back up again, which stinks, but we had a nice little break for two days at least!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A little at a time, and pretty soon you'll be looking around in amazement at how everything is coming together! I agree that even if the shed is expensive, it will be worth it in the long run.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Always better to build it right, and have it last; than to build it cheap and fast and have to fix and repair daily...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Instead of a tarp, buy a roll of roofing felt (tar paper) and put that on the roof of the shed. It will help insulate the roof when you put the metal on.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks everybody!!
@baymule part of the issue is that the ridge is exposed and he wants to make sure that the rain doesn't fall into the shed anymore.

Whew. What a crazy week! Holidays always throw things off.

Wednesday I had a great time hanging at a pool with a friend, except for the fact that we did so for 3 hours and I roasted myself. I'm still recovering, and I bet I'm on a faster track than most since I've been throwing everything I have at it, which is a lot. I digress, it was fun, even if i did end up in pain!
Thursday I laid low because of said sun burn, and we worked on the shed. We just kept chasing the shade most of the day because it was just too hot to work in the sun. It was a step out the door and sweat buckets kind of day (which has been all of them recently). I drug the BF with me to my evening barn chores because I couldn't bend over without being in terrible pain, so he helped me get everything done super fast. We stopped by his parent's house on the way home to get the last few things in the garage that he's bringing back. He didn't bring home a saw, and I know his dad will say something about that, but he doesn't want it at this point. It's an outdated type of saw (don't ask me what kind) and he has much nicer better tools now anyway. His dad picked it up off the side of the road a while back for him, which was kind, but he really can't use it and it's HUGE and takes up a lot of space. Anyway, got that stuff home, and then crashed.
Friday I skipped yoga since I was in so much pain still, and spent most of the day somewhat relaxing. I did a little office work, and then that was about it.
Saturday we worked on the shed some more and got a lot done. We had to work out a couple of kinks due to the fact that the shed isn't quite perfect. The door frame isn't level on top (likely because one side of the shed has probably settled a little), and of course if we had left it like that then it would have been really obvious on the siding since siding is straight lines. It took us a bit to come up with the solution, but we did, and thankfully that was sorted out and we were able to keep working. We got everything done that we could do without the soffit and window trim, so that was good.
Sunday I headed down to do some chores and then went to a friend's place to work with her horse. JS sent me one of her healing tools that uses red light on the acupuncture points on the horse's head so I went down to my friend's place and we sorted out working with her horse for a while. He's done something and quite literally has a headache, so we're trying to figure out what he needs to support his healing. I'll be going over there 3 times a week for the next little while, and it's $20 per visit so that's some awesome extra cash. I got home and the BF wanted to run out and get the soffit parts, and we grabbed some lunch. We got back and the neighbor's sisters had me come over to help go through her clothes to see if there was anything that I could use. I feel so blessed that she was the same size as I am, and she had a LOT of clothes. We brought back armloads, and didn't even get to go through all of them. I'm so grateful to the boost in my wardrobe because I needed some new things and just don't have the funds to replace them. We ran out of time, so I'll have to go back over another day. I'm going to try on all the stuff that they gave me and then I'll take back anything that doesn't fit quite right. I have no idea where I'm going to put all these new clothes, but they are a big blessing for sure. Now I can get rid of some of my clothes that I just don't like anymore but had been holding on to because of not having anything else to wear. I headed to go to Cowboy and Coyote's and then stop by TW's place to take care of evening chores, and then ran up to Dover Saddlery, well, I actually went back to the float place to pick up a shirt that JS wanted me to get for her (I bought one and then she decided after we got home she needed one too!) and so Dover is next door and was having a sale. I browsed some clearance boots, which were short muck type boots, and on sale for $30.00. They were all in european sizing so I had to get the guy to help me figure out what sizes I needed. To my surprise they had my sizes (I have 2 different size feet) and I tried them on. We were 1 off on both of them, and unfortunately didn't have the larger size that I needed. I dismissed it and wasn't going to worry about it, but he came back and asked me if they fit. When I told him they were missing the one size he offered to check the computer and call a store to see if they had them and have them shipped to me. I was like, well, ok. He found them, and was making arrangements and said that they'd be able to honor the sale price, which it turns out was buy one get one 50% off. So I got me 2 sizes of boots for only $48.00. I was SO glad that he said something! I needed to replace my ariats which have the stitching busted out, so they're not water proof anymore at all, either. I Just haven't had the $70 to get that done (you can have them resoled for $70), but at least now I'll have shoes that are water proof to feed in again.
This morning I logged in to my email and discovered that my credit limit had been increased, which is a HUGE blessing because I was so close to maxing it out that I kept having to make little payments before I could buy something else. It's my business card, and so I often need to make purchases that are a couple hundred, and I kept having to pay on it over and over again, which was so frustrating.
So there's quite a bit that's looking up at the moment, and that's a big relief. Now we just need to sustain it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tar paper/roofing felt over the ridge will keep the rain out until you can get the roof on.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Good to know, @baymule
Yesterday was a lovely day. I took the BF's Brother's Estonian girlfriend around to show her a bunch of different places, and drive through the countryside. Mostly it was to get her out of the house away from his mom, who will drive anyone crazy pretty quickly. We had a nice time, and went all over everywhere.
I hand walked the horse that I'm helping with yesterday morning, and he just doesn't seem to be improving. The Vet can't figure out what's going on with him, and he keeps head pressing when he's in the stall, which is a really bad sign. He does well when he's walking, and we're using a light cap on him that uses infrared light to get all of the acupuncture points. I just don't know that it's going to be enough. We'll see how it goes.
This weekend we're taking a tour of a really famous race horse farm here, and I'm excited. We have to be there early, though, and we invited the BF's brother and his girlfriend, so we'll see if he can drag himself out of bed that early. Then we're going wine tasting. Nothing like wine tasting at 11am! I hope we have time to get other things done in the afternoon because my parents are coming next weekend and now I'm going into overdrive mode trying to get things prepared and cleaned up. We'll see how that goes...
Not much else happening. I'm in the office some extra hours this week so that's going to be extra money which is good before my parents are here and we take another quick trip to the beach again.