hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A naturalist...that is nice. Maybe that is what I will be when I grow up too. BTW - I always wanted to be an Indian too..I wanted to live in the forest and live off the land so I guess I was just calling it by the wrong name much like hqueen called it being a farmer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Don't feel bad..I wanted to be a cowboy. After many adults telling me I couldn't be a cowBOY because I was a girl, I still wouldn't back down. Who wanted to be an ol' sissy cowGIRL? Not me! :D

When I entered a Queen of the Fair pageant in my junior year, we were asked again what we wanted to be...I said I wanted to be a farmer's wife(like my grandma). You can imagine how that went over with the two female judges. :rolleyes: The one male judge thought that was fine and dandy! :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Funny, Deb, I probably had that in my list, too! Indians got to be cool all the time! (never mind the hard work, the clothes were cool enough!! LOL)
Very interesting the things we express that are so genuine as a child and really are the heart of what we felt, even if we strayed from that as we grew older, it seems we are all getting back to it in some way or another.

LOL, Bee, that sounds appealing too! And I think that is probably one of the only 'horse professions' that I understood at that age, too.
Farmer's Wife. Awesome. I'd be very happy being a farmer's wife I suspect! Maybe I should tell my other half that I can't take up my ideal profession until he asks me to marry him!! :gig

hqueen13

Reaction score
Still trying to kick this coldwhateveritis, the onion honey seems to be working, or at least I'm not getting any worse! I guess that falls into the no news is good news, ehh?

The annoying thing is that I am just down on my energy right now trying to fight this off, and there are too many things to do. I need to pick up the last of the christmas things and get it all stuffed back into the box that it exploded from so that our riding instructor can have somewhere to sleep...
Between his commuting and my low energy I have to spend the evening once I am home cleaning up the few things that didn't get finished from the day before, I just don't have the energy to do the extra things. And there are quite a few of those on my todo list right now. We picked up an extra night of feeding the horses tomorrow evening because the girl that normally covers has a hairline fracture in her foot. It'll be extra work, and less time to get things done in the house, but extra cash off the board at the end of the month and right now every little bit helps.

Ehh, so it goes.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I went back to school in my 30s and got a BS in biology, so now I can call myself a naturalist. I'm still learning though. You only scratch the surface in college. And, they didn't teach a course I would have loved to have had, one on wild edibles. I'm learning that on my own.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Cool, Deb! I never made it through college, and don't know that I'll ever be able to go back to school. I am so sour on conventional school structure and learning that I would have a very hard time getting past my own mental blocks. I love learning, but school and me didn't get along very well.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Conventional education has it's place in life but it often gets in the way of learning. I love seeing little children before they have started the school process. They are so open to learning. I was shocked when I studied education to find out that education's purpose was to make people ready as a work force. I know i know. I'm sure everyone else got that without being told. I honestly thought of learning as something you did as a reward in and of itself. I still do. (probably why I don't make very much money)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Rathbone, you pretty much just described me. There were things I would have LOVED to have study when I was in school instead of what I did learn. I had 4 semesters of chemistry. I'll never use most of it, and remember very little of it. I forget how many math classes I had, and again, it's highly unlikely I'll use most of that. I would have rather taken things that really interested me. :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think school takes the fun out of learning. i have some certs and a dual associate, but couldnt get past that point...
required "communications" classes made it impossible...and then the additional required english and math ect...yeah brain says NO.

hqueen13

Reaction score
:weee :weee :weee Put up 3 1/2 GALLONS of chicken stock tonight!!! :weee :weee :weee

Mom suggested that I use the new canner/pressure cooker to do stock in, and just told me to take the weight off the top and watch it to make sure it didn't boil dry. We put in 1 stock chicken (skinny layer birds we get from our farm source that work well for just stocking) and the bones of several others stocks and let 'er rip for 12 hours. Beautiful stock! I am not sure how I am going to store all this stuff in the freezer, but I guess I'll figure that out. I need to reorganize the freezer anyway, cause it is a mess (he keeps putting meat in the frozen food freezer versus the little extra freezer where all the meat goes! :rolleyes: ) Once I get that straightened out hopefully it won't be too difficult to store all this stuff. I froze the ziplocks laying flat so hopefully they'll "stack" a bit better and I can keep them organized.
I LOVE that pot if for nothing else other than STOCK! Same amount of effort, roughly, MUCH higher yield! Next project will be beef stock!

I so agree with everything yall have said about learning and school. And yes, the original purpose of organize education was to train the work force to be better workers. It served no glorious purpose beyond that. And at this point, I would even say that it is probably even failing to do that! The number of dropouts is staggering, and it is just limping along. I think if I had children I'd be inclined to somehow figure out how to home school them - only for the loads of fun opportunities that you can create. I wouldn't want them to miss out on social situations, but I also don't think that I could put them through "school" just for the sake of a learning institution in a group setting.

Ahh, well, I am sure I'll manage to do all the learning I need to do one way or another. Who knows, I might end up in some sort of school some day, but I don't worry too much about it now. I have a great job and it is doing pretty well. Heck, even my other half isn't doing what he went to school for, and is making fantastic money, and will make better money when he makes manager.

Finally recovering from the cold I had. I skipped out of work a bit early this afternoon to come home and "rest." What that really meant is "I have to catch up on everything I didn't do this weekend because I was flat on my back sick!" I did manage quite a bit of it - enough that I feel better about staying at work the rest of the week and still getting a few things done here and there in the evenings before our event this weekend. Need to remember to grab the pictures to laminate them tomorrow evening, and then get the board finished up tomorrow evening as well. Gotta design some text for the display and take that with me to get it laminated, too, crap, guess that will happen tomorrow at the office.... :rolleyes:

And since I still am recovering from being sick, I need to go to bed now, too!

Latest posts