hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm drooling thinking of all that chicken stock and its endless possibilities.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Whew, still recovering from being sick and having so many things to do all at once. I am down to the "sticky goo" phase of sinus gunk, which is oh so delightful. One of my friends was surprised that I take basically no meds when I am sick (I didn't tell her about the onion/honey, she really doesn't get things like that), but I don't like them because I think they muck up the body's natural ability to fight things off. I try (very hard, sometimes it works better than others) to keep eating what I know is really healthy for me while I am sick - things made with bone broth, my green smoothies, and kombuchas and other things like that. I also use my netipot. A lot. I love that thing (most of the time) and this afternoon was no exception. A lot of gunk came out of my nose and it made me feel so much better! I like the fact that it gets it OUT, rather than sitting there festering in your head! Even blowing your nose doesn't compare to what you can do with a netipot. I am still breathing through my mouth a lot, but it is better than it was. Course, that was still bad enough that I inhaled wrong while eating a piece of bread and butter during dinner and managed to inhale a crumb, which sent me into one of those coughing fits that results in a noise akin to a barking seal. :rolleyes: Exciting, really.

This morning started crazy an hour and a half earlier than it should have with my other half hollering for me to wake up from the other end of the house. I was rather disoriented and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on or where he was. I finally found him after wandering through the whole house (ok, all 80 feet of it) and found him bent over the dog on the kitchen floor with a whole lot of blood all over the white floor. I don't do so well with blood. I got the other dog out of the kitchen and by that time was awake to comprehend that my other half discovered that apparently the dog had ripped one of his nails off and was bleeding like a stuck pig as a result. I was grateful for the time I spent with my dog groomer friend and headed back through the house to get the Styptic powder that she had given me a while ago. I know there is probably an oil for that, but I knew the styptic powder would straight up stop the bleeding and that was my biggest concern. Handed him the container and he got it right onto the toe and the bleeding didn't even soak through all the powder he put on it. The dog wasn't even crying or whimpering, which I thought was a good thing through this whole ordeal as we kept shoving him back down on the floor to make sure that he wasn't trotting blood around the kitchen. Somehow in the massacre he missed my mostly new kitchen rugs that already had to be revived from the chili malfunction. Once we knew the bleeding was stopped, we whisked him into his kennel, and I started to slowly clean up the carnage. By the time I was finished my back and knees were killing me, but the floor was clean. Mental note: sweep up dog hair more often. Trying to wipe up blood and dog hair is just annoying AND gross. The dog seems right as rain now, he wasn't limping or anything this evening when I let him out to do his business, so that is a good thing. I muscle tested and added an oil to his meals to help with the healing, and I suspect he'll be just fine.

We have an event coming up here at the equestrian center (anybody within travel distance of MD that is into horses drop me a note, would love to meet yall!) and I've been going crazy trying to get all the preparations made. We have an older display board that had blue fabric on it that was peeling off. I managed to find new green felt that PERFECTLY matches the big display board that we have, and so I peeled the crappy blue stuff off tonight and my other half helped me reglue the new green onto the board. Except we had a glue can malfunction and it quit spraying. Its old, so who knows, the nozzle probably clogged over time and it just can't spray the glue, or the glue thickened, or whatever (now I have half a can of spray glue I should try to figure out the "proper" way to dispose of... :rolleyes: ). He's going to bring home another can tomorrow so we can get the project finished up, I've got to get it done in a hurry.

Tomorrow evening is going to be busy, I have to get the farm order of food on my way home, stop by Office Depot to pick up the laminated pictures that they took too long to finish tonight and then come home and get the sheets and towels into the wash and remake the bed, then get ready for a phone call with a good friend of ours that is also a life coach. She offered a free 30 minute goal/dream coaching session to the first 20 responders, and we made it in. We plan to talk to her about our goals to get out of here and move to our own property. I am really looking forward to the discussion and hope she has some good things to offer us to help us get organized and on the right track. We mostly know what we need to do, but we need a little assistance with clarity and direction.

Tomorrow is his birthday, too. I doubt we'll do much of anything. Money is tight right now, and he has physical therapy for his hip before the phone call and will be running in the door to make the phone call on time, so it'll be a bit tricky to get everything together for the evening anyway. We are going out to dinner at an all you can eat meat Brazilian steakhouse, which is AWESOME, so that is sort of birthday for both of us since we're only about 2 weeks apart.

And now, time to crash.... Hopefully I'll get to sleep ALL the way to the alarm in the morning!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Reminds me of us, we go out to dinner 1x for our anniversary (3/19), my birthday (3/31), and his birthday (4/3). Saves us a ton of money.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are rounding the bend on this sinus thing. I don't do meds either. Not that I wouldn't ever take meds. But my idea of needing them and others' just doesn't match up.

hqueen13

Reaction score
I dislike getting major news without being able to get answers. Just found out today that most of the upper management at my other half's job was fired yesterday. Including the (now former) pres of the company who is the one that hired him after they smoked a cigar together at a friend's house at christmas two years ago. :th
We have no idea, other than it wasn't anything criminal. It kills me to think that the man that hired him worked his way up the ladder from the position my other half started in all the way to pres, and it just breaks my heart to think that he is out of work. I just can't imagine.
The up side is that it could create more room "up" for him to go up the ladder, which would be great for us, but I do not want it to come at this expense.

In other news, it is his birthday today, and with the above news, its been a bit of a strange day. We aren't doing much of anything right now, there is just too much going on with the event this weekend and such. We had a nice phone call with our friend that is a life coach and she gave us some really cool ideas on how we can get ourselves organized to work towards our goal and dream of owning our own farm. I am excited to do some of the things, they will be easy and fun for both of of us to do together.

I did manage to get the display board set up for the upcoming event this weekend, so tomorrow I'll put the images and such on it. I will be glad when this event is over, I'm actually going to have a very light February. Nobody likes to schedule clinics when it is cold. I am very much looking forward to having several weekends with no major plans. I intend to get myself organized to test out the lotion bars so I can give that to mom as a gift at some point. We also need to spend a little time and energy outside in the yard and such. I need to get that 'lectric deer fence put up that Bee gave me the details for before the deer consume the entire azalea bushes. February will be a great time to spend catching up with myself and spending some time on me. Hopefully the weather won't be so bad that I won't want to ride. I have a very hard time staying motivated when it is cold.

I also purchased Groupons for some framing. I am thrilled to get that started. We don't really have much extra money right now to do it, but the Groupons expire the end of February, so I have to get a move on it or we'll lose the money we put into them (that would piss me off!). I've had these prints for more than 6 years, probably closer to 8 now, and they deserve to be out of the dark closet and up on the wall. I will go to the framing shop and see what they can do for me next weekend I think.

Gonna try to get up early and go into work early so I can leave early to come home and get a few things done. We've got to feed the horses here, which will take up a lot of time, so I can use all the extra time I can get when I get home. Now, we'll see how much I can actually get done...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry its been a rough one...BUT...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sending a birthday hug to you both. Enjoy the Brazilian steakhouse. Sorry about the other stuff. Try not to let it put a shadow on your day.

hqueen13

Reaction score
WHEW. :th
I am exhausted.
The expo went really well. It is a blast, but it is three (used to be 4, eek!) DAYS of being happy and peppy and promoting the equestrian center and talking to fun people and strange people and little kids and everything in between. Yesterday he seemed to come down with something again, so he went back home for a while and then came back at the end of the night to help breakdown and get us out of there.

I had a BLAST hanging out with my friend's baby goats. She brought two of her rejects with her. We have dubbed them "Marketing Goats" because they do WONDERS for getting people to come talk to you in your booth. People walk by, and then they do a double take, and then they just can't help themselves but come pet the goat. She has cashmere's and they are just darling. The two that she brought with her this time were younger, only about 10 days old, and so they were still in eat/sleep/poop mode. And it was mostly just sleep mode. It made it easy to deal with them though. Having a bouncing goat in your little 10' x 10' booth already filled with tables and chairs is tricky! But a sleeping 8 lb baby is easy enough :p

We picked up a few things, including some hair things for me (www.ezbun.com - Crazy simple and they really work!), some moose antlers for the dogs to chew, and another supplement for Storm and a book on herbal remedies for horses and in general had a good time. And of course its back to work today! UGH!!

Yesterday we caught snipits of the game between waiting for the show to end and packing up the booth. The barn manager loaded up her pickup truck and half the trailer with hay from the hay vendor and brought it back over since we were basically out of hay. Unfortunately, they got stuck trying to get up the driveway with the trailer. They had to unload the horse and put him into the barn for a while and then ended up unhitching the trailer, driving up the hill and unloading the truck and then rehitching the trailer and she managed to get out. Then they had to walk the horse back down the hill and reload him (thankfully he's GOOD about it!) to take him up to her farm, and she'll bring the trailer full of hay back later to unload. We finally got into the house and settled down for the evening. We ate dinner and I took a shower and then talked to my mom for a while and then went to bed. He slept in the other room last night so that he wouldn't disturb me and so that he could keep his germs to himself!

Its been an exhausting day at work, and now I just hope I can get a few things done. The laundry really should be done, especially the sheets and towels with as sick as we have been. Yuck. The vacuuming should be done after that. The carpet is to the point of having dog hair swirls on it.... ick! There's more that I should do, but I don't know that I'll get to it. Mostly I think I want to go home and soak in a hot bath and relax...
We'll see how far that goes....

Oh, on another note, I just looked at the calendar last night and realized that next weekend I don't really have anything scheduled, and then in February I only have our lesson weekend, and March the lesson weekend is the 4th weekend instead of the 3rd weekend of the month. So other than the lesson weekends I don't have anything really planned until the last weekend in March!! :ep :weee SO!!! That means I can actually spend some time getting some things done for ME! This coming weekend I need to run a few errands, I have to get over to the framing store to use the groupons I bought and FINALLY get the prints framed that I've had for 6 years... Its going to cost us some, but I don't want to lose the groupons either. So I'll start that process. I need to probably get over to the rescue and get more chinchilla food if I can, but that is a drive away. The weather is looking decent right now, so I might try to work the horse if I can muster the energy. At least for a little while I can be lazy and not ride him and just work him on the long line for a bit. I want to put together our vision board for our farm plans, plus work on getting ourselves a bit better organized. The house can use some deep cleaning (I can actually CLEAN the windows now that I know they aren't going to leak anymore!!! :clap ) and I think by March I would like to have the supplies available to start working on making lotion bars.

Of course, among all that, I have to start doing the planning for our fall fundraiser as well as the Bull Roast fundraiser that we have now added to the schedule here in June. The nice thing is that I have some time to do that without having to manage other events at the same time. That is always the tough part.

I am just not going to know what to do with myself with this time available! :ya

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Would have loved to have gone to the Expo and seen the goats, maybe next year. I am planning on going to Harrisburg. There's actually a couple of clinics I want to see, one by Julie Goodnight on Western Dressage.