HS Credit // SELF INTROSPECTION COURSE pg 2

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a special needs teen. He starts "high school" next week, so I'm working on his curriculum for the next 4 years. One of the subjects he needs is Life Skills. The basics of living in the day-to-day world. I'll create a binder for each of the main topics and we'll add sheets in each as we discuss and practice. I plan on having several "Life Skills" subjects, spread across the 4 years, so help! I need subjects! Here are the binders / main categories:

1. Keeping House (laundry, cooking, cleaning, menu planning)

2. Finances (paying bills, how bank accounts work, calculating tips and taxes, grocery shopping, coupons, etc)

3. Relationships (dating, respect, friendships, etc)

4. Goals and Dreams (thinking things through, making plans, etc)

5. Taking care of self (recognizing body signs, nutrition, )

6. Business Basics (resumes, applications, interviews, business dress, business writing)

I liked what I found at http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2008/08/life-skills-101-curriculum-for-food.html (even in the comments section) ... but still want more. Did I miss anything? So ... ideas for each main category?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I still don't have most of the basics down lol. So just remember, he's likely not going to "get" most of it. Good luck. No one's managed to make it make sense to me :p

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure he won't "get" a lot of it either, but I create a section for each category, and keep the instructions or cheat sheets in the binder for him to refer to regularly, I'm hoping it'll help him get through life.

Do I have rose-colored glasses, or what?!

ETA: How could I have forgotten a sufficient-living section?

And Abi ... there's got to be a section or two that I've forgotten that you would have liked to have had. You can PM me if you want. Or call! Or text!

:caf

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For cleaning, do you plan on breaking that down into sections? I'd list every room, and put down exactly what needs to be done, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning toilets, etc. Same w/laundry, sorting by types of loads, what to put in the washing machine, etc.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I can share what one of the teachers I work with at the High School does with her "life skills" class. In addition to what you've already listed she takes them to restaurants, and if they're children who are likely to live independently, they work on filling out job applications, interviewing, renting apartments. Also, how to get help if you're living independently. What do you do if something breaks, etc.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I will think on it and post after work. Touch screen on nook is not condusive to long missives.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
For cleaning, do you plan on breaking that down into sections? I'd list every room, and put down exactly what needs to be done, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning toilets, etc. Same w/laundry, sorting by types of loads, what to put in the washing machine, etc.
Absolutely, yes. With detailed instructions on how to do each. He already does his own laundry but still will get an info page about that anyway.

Henrietta, good thoughts.

Abi: thanks!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, Abi, that was thorough. THANK you so much for taking the time. Will help to incorporate those with my and others' ideas, and some research I'm doing for it.

Latest posts