Hubby Hungry Again..........

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband gets up real early to go to work and you won't see me with him as I am up early on chicken watch and he knows to leave me alone in my chicken fever...... He is tired of same breakfast ,has a scarey appetite at any hour ,however he and I are watching our caloric intake and both have lost 20 lbs each by various life style changes.He has a organic hot oatmeal ,a banana and usually eggs all of which is he very tired of eating this menu. When I bake wholesome muffins he feels it is not enough to eat for breakfast even with oatmeal and a piece of fruit.....HELP! I enjoy cooking and can at times possibly cook ahead for his breakfast . Any inexpensive,healthy,satisfying,different,do ahead breakfast recipes I can prepare for 5 days of work?Even if it is a recipe for only 3-4 days he can interchange with his old menu.No meat please.I would prefer a one time do ahead that he heats up or can put together himself ,though he would need something quick.Hurry before he eats something she shouldn't......lol

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
How about a fried egg with a little cheese (maybe avo too) on a whole wheat bagel or English muffin.

Bagel with peanut butter and a fruit smoothie ( I keep fruit in the freezer, add in some yogurt and filtered water as needed to this it) I also add a handful of spinach to mine, it does change the color but not the flavor at all!

Scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa in a whole wheat tortilla.

That is all I can think of right now

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I was thinking breakfast tacos too Dace. I'll bet you could make a nice scramble with some bell peppers etc. at the beginning of the week and each morning scoop a bit onto a ww tortilla and add some cheese and sliced avacado. When it is all wrapped up, you don't even need a plate! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cold healthy cereals like granola/bran types. Add fruit. Eat a big bowl..LOL

When Tony is in a hurry or I don't cook breakfast, he grabs a big bowl of good cereal and banana and such.

Also maybe have some protein drinks available. I drink protein drinks as meal subs. But he can have one with something to eat. They help fill me up definitely.

To me you need protein to fuel up the body in the morning.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My favorite breakfast is an egg scrambled with 1/4 teaspoon taco seasoning, a little cheese, rolled in a tortilla with some fresh salsa or chopped tomato. Sometimes I add avocado and sour cream if I have them, but the SC is not diet friendly. Avocado has healthy fats. My Mom eats one a day !

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sliced boiled eggs with salsa, cheese, bean paste & as many veggies as you can fit on a plate.

Yogurt Fruit smoothies with a couple raw eggs (From your chickens!) keeps well in fridge.

How about salads for breakfast? It's unusual, but does it really matter what time of day you eat something?

Egg salad sandwiches

The breakfast burritos are excellent. Plus, you can make a TON of them ahead and freeze them individually. Just add the fresh stuff (avo, spinach, etc) after they are thawed.

I once made a case of biscuits, halved them, put toppings on them, egg, cheese, what have you. Then I wrapped them & froze them. Lasted us a month.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Carbs (cereal, muffin, toast, oats) make some people feel hungry even after they eat a bunch of it. (I am one of those people! LOL)

I have to stick with higher protein and some good natural fats or I am STARVING an hour later.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I am a true leftover lover, so if it tasted good the night before, I tend to think it would be even better the next morning. I love grilled veggies, casseroles, wilted salads, ect. for breakfast.

I love cold pancakes. I put all sorts of things on them or in them. They can be refridgerated or frozen and thawed and eaten as is or toasted. I like them with yogurt, fruit, jam, peanut butter, nutella, cheese and veggies. Or I add flax meal, cinnamon, honey and vanilla to the batter and eat them plain.

Zucchini fritters are a good way to use up lots of frozen zucchini, they have eggs, and are good reheated or cold.

Also, quiche is great reheated, as are spanakoptia, tiropita, and fritata. All of them have eggs and you can add veggies to your hearts content.
If you make tiropita and spanakopita in the triangles they are especially portable.

Oh, and don't forget 'healthier' pies, like coconut custard, or whole fruit. Crisps and cobblers, they still have oatmeal and fruit.

Coconut Custard Pie (from the 'More with Less' cookbook)

Combine in a blender:

4 eggs
2 c. milk
1/2 c flour
1t vanilla
1/2-3/4 c sugar (depending on how sweet your coconut is)
6T melted butter

Blend, until smooth, then add 1c shredded coconut.

pour into a greased pie pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

I make this a lot when my hens are being 'extra generous.'

And last but not least- pickled eggs are quick, cheap, portable and delightful.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
He has a organic hot oatmeal ,a banana and usually eggs all of which is he very tired of eating this menu. When I bake wholesome muffins he feels it is not enough to eat for breakfast even with oatmeal and a piece of fruit.....
If you add a bit of good fat and protein, he will more likely be satisfied. So if you want to make muffins, maybe a non-sweet muffin with a big slab of cheddar, like a corn muffin made with whole wheat flour and yogurt or kefir. Or a berry muffin or oatmeal raisin muffin with lots of cream cheese (or strained yogurt cheese, from whole-milk yogurt). This would provide the fat and protein from healthy sources that would satisfy him.

Or you can make breakfast sandwiches with eggs, cheese, english muffins (you can make these with whole wheat and cook them on a griddle), and you can add hot peppers or salsa if he likes that. You can also make breakfast burritoes this way, too.

I agree, quiche re-heats quite nicely. Uses lots of eggs and cheese and veggies, and is very filling and provides lots of energy for a work day.

Healthy sources of saturated fats, in reasonable amounts, convert to ATP (the energy source for our cells) far more efficiently than carbs do. We crave them. A little butter, cheese, eggs.....all good for ya! Yummy, too!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I am a true leftover lover, so if it tasted good the night before, I tend to think it would be even better the next morning. I love grilled veggies, casseroles, wilted salads, ect. for breakfast.

I love cold pancakes. I put all sorts of things on them or in them. They can be refridgerated or frozen and thawed and eaten as is or toasted. I like them with yogurt, fruit, jam, peanut butter, nutella, cheese and veggies. Or I add flax meal, cinnamon, honey and vanilla to the batter and eat them plain.

Zucchini fritters are a good way to use up lots of frozen zucchini, they have eggs, and are good reheated or cold.

Also, quiche is great reheated, as are spanakoptia, tiropita, and fritata. All of them have eggs and you can add veggies to your hearts content.
If you make tiropita and spanakopita in the triangles they are especially portable.

Someone who relates! I love leftovers for breakfast! I am one of those who MUST eat in the Am but I am also not a huge fan of traditional breakfast foods...other than a nice big breakfast on the weekends, I am happy with a sandwich or leftovers for breakfast!