Huge Artichoke bush (PIX)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbors have the biggest Artichoke bush I have ever seen!

Here is a "Where's Heidi" photo of the Artichoke Bush.

MePeekingthruArtichokeBushemail.jpg

My neighbor Bob, says he has picked over 50 artichokes off this plant and they are still coming!

43010ArichokesonPlantemail.jpg

Yesterday Bob made me the last stop on his "handing out" artichokes to the neighborhood.

I got 11 of them!
Artichokesemail.jpg

He says he used Fish Emulsion, and Bat Guano to grow such a big plant.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh it's HUGE :ep Just how old is the plant?

I'm wondering because I recently planted 4 starts & I may be in for more than I bargained for....in a few years?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Oh my gosh it's HUGE :ep Just how old is the plant?

I'm wondering because I recently planted 4 starts & I may be in for more than I bargained for....in a few years?
I think they planted it last year. He said he is going to move it outside of the garden bed it is in now, it is just taking up too much room!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even taking into consideration the difference in climate vs growth habit.....I'm gonna have to move mine too. Right now they are in an area of about 4x4 & that only equals 1 sq ft of space for each. Yep, I think I'm in trouble!! :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love artichoke, that is gorgeous! Reminds me of the fields in Castroville California, we would go up there and pick them fresh from the fields. One of the farm stands sold breaded deep fried artichoke hearts, horrible for you but so delicious!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love artichokes....they are a vehicle for eating lots of butter! :D I have NEVER seen such beautiful artichokes as in your picture of the 11 you got. :ep

I don't think they grow in Zone 4-5, do they??

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sooo going to plant artichoke. If Old Fashioned can grow it in Tacoma, I can grow it here. I wonder where I can get some bat guano?