Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:hun Your loss. It's a good story.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't even stand to read the newspaper stories of violence.....makes me feel bad and want to cry, particularly when there are children involved. :idunno

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
How do you EVER get through the Old Testament?! I very much cringe at some of the stories where "men, women, and children" are to be slaughtered. But, that was under the Law. Still. Makes me cringe at all the killing. Violence is part of life to me. Slaughtering animals, etc. I guess the fact that it's non fiction, it just doesn't bother me so much. It's just different to me :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't consider butchering animals violence...it's just the only way to not eat animals while they are still alive. Violence in the Bible isn't depicted in such graphic detail as it is in books and movies, describing every detail of the gore and the pain....it just simply states "and they cut off his head" or "he was stoned".

Now, if it said, " And he was surrounded by a shouting, murderous crowd who picked the largest stones they could throw and they hurled them at him with vicious force. Each stone that struck him took hide and flesh off his bones, with one smashing into his mouth leaving his jaw askew and teeth dislodged, while the blood spewed from his mouth as he screamed for mercy. Then a larger stone than the rest silenced his screams as it was slammed into his skull, which cracked open and left him lying in the bloody dust with grey matter dripping into his open and dead eyes. "

Quite a different story, wouldn't you say? ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
This book doesn't go into such detail either. But I can say the bible DOES have a LOT of violence in it, and some of it is in just as much detail as this book. There is nothing in it any worse than the story of dogs lapping up Jezebels blood.

Violence is violence. Where one person doesn't see something as violent, others will. Violence has different definitions for different folks. It's why I didn't stick around BYC. There, putting a roo in his place was violent to some. Spanking kids is violent to some. Killing chickens is violent to some. :hu To each their own on that note. I liked the book, for the story, and ideas portrayed, not the violence.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when it comes down to it the hunger games are NOT about the violence itself but that violence as a symptom of the "new" society, its no different than the violence in the lord of the flies ect...
BELIVE me required readind in my highschool was all classics and they were all WAY more violent and down right mean (scenes in Of Mice and Men come to mind) than the hunger games, and quite honestly i woudl have much rather read somehting like the hunger games than lord of the flies or 1984 or animal farm ect...
as WBF pointed out, even the bible is filled with violnece...in all these cases the violence isnt the focus but the symptom of society, a meteaphore or a lesson. in the hunger games its no diffrent.

it realy is a good read for anyone truly interested..its definatly and interesting perspective on "the world after"

SS id love to read the interveiw you read, i hate disecting books, i hated english calss because i was sick of being told to look "deeper" i meam for gods sake, what if the author wrote the curtains were blue simply because they were blue...they dont ALWAYS have to have a hidden meaning...the clouds can sometimes jsut be clouds and the mocking bird might JUST be a mockingbird...
so its always cool to see the author interveiws where they say "look i dont care what you THINK i meant...the grass is green because...well its Green" lol.

its certinaly not a book about violence as much as a story about survival, frinedship and love.
and belive me the "classics" are much more violent, racist, mean spirited ect than this is.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was implying they weren't or that this movie or book was exceptionally violent....folks just commented they probably wouldn't enjoy it because it depicted violence and they didn't prefer that type of story. Nothing wrong in having different preferences.

I don't like romance books at all....can't bear them. I just prefer not to read them as they don't appeal to me and I find most of them very unrealistic and contrived...this doesn't mean that I shouldn't like reading the Bible because of the Song of Solomon. It just merely means I don't like to read romance novels.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Then don't read it. :hu But ya can't really say it's because of the violence. I could see if you'd read part of it, and found it to be not to your liking, but you obviously haven't. I try not to judge things before trying them. Maybe I'm just more adventurous :lol: I think sometimes folks just get it in their head how bad something is because of what they've heard or read ABOUT it...and then have a biased opinion about it due to the "controversy." Or, they just listen to what everyone else's opinion is on the matter and decide based solely on others opinion to not read/do/watch whatever.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AGREED WBF...

ive read reports that say this book is "very violent" and "very conservative" and "very liberal" and blah blah blah...the short and sweet of it is simple, read the ACTUAL synopisps of the book, and if it doesnt appeal then dont read it...
but dont assume your not going to like it simply based on what youve read other people say about it on the internet...

I assumed i woudlnt like a certain show based on what id read on the internet...
then i caught an episode and i actually enjoyed the show...there were aspects i aw in the reviews that after wathcing the show i agreed with but overall, i found dang quickly forming YOUR opinion of something based on someone elses opinion is never going to get you anywhere...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
when it comes down to it the hunger games are NOT about the violence itself but that violence as a symptom of the "new" society, its no different than the violence in the lord of the flies ect...

That was exactly my point Pink - Lord of The Flies was the first that came to my mind, but yes, 1984 and Animal Farm too! All classics on required reading lists, all quite violent.

SS id love to read the interveiw you read, i hate disecting books, i hated english calss because i was sick of being told to look "deeper" i meam for gods sake, what if the author wrote the curtains were blue simply because they were blue...they dont ALWAYS have to have a hidden meaning...the clouds can sometimes jsut be clouds and the mocking bird might JUST be a mockingbird...
so its always cool to see the author interveiws where they say "look i dont care what you THINK i meant...the grass is green because...well its Green" lol.

OK, I looked for it - it was a link, from a banner news item on my Hughesnet, and was actually a comment :p The guy said he got the trilogy on audio book and, at the very end, they interviewed the author. She was a bit upset because people thought she meant them as anti-big gov't, pro-revolution statements, when - as I recall (which is ALWAYS a scary proposition :lol: ) - she was big on NWO and globalization and thought her work reflected that :/

its certinaly not a book about violence as much as a story about survival, frinedship and love.
and belive me the "classics" are much more violent, racist, mean spirited ect than this is.

I really need a new series to read, so I guess I'll break down and get this one. I have been suckered into series that I thought I would never read/like, but ended up devouring them!

Status
Not open for further replies.