HUNTING

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
tried ice fishing one time in NH. Whew, cold adventure and didn't catch anything! :(
I agree and usually it is very cold. But my DH builds his ice shanties out of the same black tarp they use to cover semi truck loads. Toasty warm on a kinda sunny day. That black soaks up all the heat in the area. Course the heater works wonders too :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice to have the hunting forum added!

I haven't hunted in a few years, we have been too busy to think about it, but my wife, daughter and myself plan on doing so this year.

I tend to think of my guns as tools, each one has a purpose. I have my .308 rifle for large game, .22 rifle for small game, and 12g shotgun for birds. I also have a couple of handguns, each having it's own purpose.

My son gave me a new black powder rifle this year, but I haven't had time to learn about it yet. Too bad, since black powder deer season started locally this past weekend. I'll have to do some reading up on it and practice over the summer so that I'll be ready for next year. It sure is a fancy thing, though.

My wife and I have been discussing adding a small building to do chicken and game processing. Otherwise, at least for deer, we'll end up paying to have it processed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is smart using the black tarp. We did it out in the open for a 1 time try on the lake. BRR..LOL

Walleye? Is that a good eating fish? They aren't around me?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not really sure if there are any around you or not Farmerchick. They are good eating. mmmmmm. :p
K0xxx, they are tools. THe only time we use them is for hunting. And we only hunt for what we are going to eat. We just found (thru my father) that we can no longer bait AT ALL in michigan. I only ever took out 10 15 gallons feed at a time. But for the people who put out tons of feed at a time, they sure ruined it for us. They are trying to not yard the deer up so the spread of TB slows. Well up here, and hunting like I do, they dont yard up. I limit the amt. I put out. Oh just shut up RM.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I leave the hunting to my husband, but I help with the butchering.

I am ready for deer season for sure!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
roosmom said:
MorelCabin, did you know squirrels are supposed to be good tasting? Let me know :)
You better be prepared for a lot of processing if you do shoot a moose :D.
Dont they come into your backyard?
Yes they do come into my backyard...but I am not sure if I would be allowed to hunt them here...actually I KNOW I wouldn't get away with it. One of my neighbors who owns ALL the property out here will never allow anyone to shoot animals on her property...which is good in many ways because we really enjoy watching them...
And I don't have a gun or a license...not only that you have to have a tag here and they are rare...

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
roosmom said:
FarmerChick said:
tried ice fishing one time in NH. Whew, cold adventure and didn't catch anything! :(
I agree and usually it is very cold. But my DH builds his ice shanties out of the same black tarp they use to cover semi truck loads. Toasty warm on a kinda sunny day. That black soaks up all the heat in the area. Course the heater works wonders too :D
This winter I have to take a picture of our "ice fishing villages" Everyone here builds cabins on skis and hauls them out on the lake. They have woodstoves in them and you can spend the weekend out on the frozen lake and fish. Some of them have sleeping quarters and everything. Ours was 12X12 and was called the radio shack. It is actually very social here...There are hundreds of them

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey roosmom-- Yeah, squirrels aren't too bad to eat. You gotta pressure cook or stew the big ones for a long time, but you can fry the littler ones kinda like you'd fry chicken. Don't just shoot them and leave them!!! Eat em!! At least give them to your dog or something!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Hey roosmom-- Yeah, squirrels aren't too bad to eat. You gotta pressure cook or stew the big ones for a long time, but you can fry the littler ones kinda like you'd fry chicken. Don't just shoot them and leave them!!! Eat em!! At least give them to your dog or something!
LOL ;) or my chickens?