Hurricane preparations

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom and dad live in southern Virginia which is also in the red zone 10" to 15" of rain is expected. I just got off the phone with them and we went through the power outage / storm damage check list. Their house sits up on a hill and I cut down all the trees within falling distance of the house so I don't expect flooding or downed trees to be an issue but power outage is a very real possibility.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As of today, it seems to have wandered a little further South, so while Wilmington is still on it's bullseye target, it is looking like SC & even Ga will get the heavy edges now -- more than VA. It is terrible that anyone has to deal with all this but, I can't not admit to some relief here. Rain will still get us, the coast will be torn up bad from all the "hanging around" that this storm is doing. My own little farm will prob get very wet, some winds.

A hurricane does allow some prep time, unlike a tornado, etc. None are fun!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm thinking of you all over there and your families that live in the targeted areas :hugs Having had that (tiny by comparison) hurricane here last year, I can appreciate how scary this is.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel the same way. we have hurricanes here, lose our power and a couple of trees. We don't flood either, high elevation (though downtown does). This one has the potential to be very, very bad.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Best of luck to you.

I don't miss that about living in Virginia Beach. And Va Beach is mostly protected because storms usually hit the Outer Banks first

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw this on Fox news - Florence is massive from the space station.

Screenshot_2018-09-12-19-42-16.png

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My nephew is in VA. I can't find much about his town and what they expect. Stupid cell phone.

And wow... that's frightening

Latest posts