Hurricane Sandy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, good. It's started to rain here, and the wind has picked up. Other than baking my bread, I've gotten everything done that I have to have done. Last I heard, they were expecting landfall sometime later tomorrow around Atlantic City, which isn't that far away. But, I have several gallons of water stored both here and at the farm. I have plenty of food and firewood. I have enough clean clothes to last for quite some time.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm filling up drinking water jugs tonight. I'll do the buckets for flushing the toilets in the morning. Just too sick to feel like doing it tonight. If we have to go take a crap in the woods for it, so be it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Inland NC here, no effects here except a heavy overcast. winds below 20 mph. Good luck elsewhere and remember flooding is usually worse than wind effects, it often hits2-3 days after the storm has past, rivers and streams have trouble carrying off the heavy rainfall and it builds as it moves down stream.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hopefully everyone stays safe! But have you all filled as many soda bottles/milk bottles or even ziplock baggies with water and froze them in your freezers then if you have to you can use that ice in the fridge drawers to keep it cold and the full freezer will stay frozen longer... and as it thaws you can use the water for drinking.
I'm lucky that my neighbor is my cousin and has a huge portable generator(diesel) for his job and will come over every day and let me charge up the freezer and fridge for a couple hours. it is a life saver for me. we lose power quite often.
If you do fill your tubs with water I suggest only using it for washing and toilet flushing and if you have to drink it boil it.. open tub with all the water will gather a lot of ickys that you dont' even think about..
for next time try to find what is called a tub water liner.. it is a nice heavy plastic(ick but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do) with a filler "nozzle" and a small hand pump so that the filled "tub" water is contained and clean for drinking..
There are so many things but I have a feeling that most of the folks that hang out here are already right on the ball for this kind of emergency.. ;):)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
As always, we are prepared for life's little mishaps like power outs and deep snows. Got an outhouse and a woodstove, you've got just about everything you need. :D We always keep 5 gal. jugs of water drawn up and several regular jugs as well. Food is stocked, got plenty of books, lamp oil and batteries.

The power goes off out here in this neck of the woods if someone sneezes too hard, so we always keep things ready.

I'm praying for all those who have a harder time being self-sustaining when the power grid goes down and for those in danger.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm here in WV above 3000 Ft. so our forecast is for 20-30 inches of heavy wet snow, they always underestimate what actually happens. Some are saying to expect 50". It has been lightly snowing since early this morning but, just began to cling to the grass couple of hours ago. The first 1" is here to stay for the night. My Dish system has intermittent total signal loss already. The snow is very dense with water.

As we have done this many times, I have lots of stuff to get us through what is coming. As long as I still have a roof, I will be here putting more logs in the wood stove as needed baking some extra bread with my propane cook stove, flashlights and oil lamps, and candles, ready to go, refrigeration= 20" of snow and and artesian spring nearby the back door, stocked up on plenty of dog food. No generator needed! We will be putting the 13 hens in the winter coop this evening. I also have packs ready and gas in all vehicles in case we have to head west.

I live in small town population about 400 , they already have large backup natural gas generators for the water plant and sewage plant. We are surrounded by windmills, a coal fired power plant about 12 mi. away. Our electricity backs up from 2 different directions, in my 30 yrs. here we have never had a power outage of more than a few hours at once. This will be interesting to see what happens with this unusual storm. :hide

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've been wondering how people in that area are doing. Hope all y'all are OK. :hugs

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, the main problem I have right now is I'm bored. I'm tired of reading and playing video games. I can't do anything outside, nor do I really want to be outside! Hubby worked close to 100 hours last week and has off today and tomorrow because of the storm. He doesn't want any noise and has spent much of the day sleeping. So, I can't do any housework or watch any videos. And of course, there's nothing on TV anyway that I want to watch. :hit