Hurricane Sandy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Still have power. It's not supposed to get real bad here until later tonight. The winds have increased, but I've seen worse. Right now, it's no worse than a typical noreaster, and I'm used to those. And since I'll (hopefully) be sleeping when the eye passes over, I probably will miss the worst of the storm.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our power has been flickering here, but nothing major yet. No end of the world for Central Pennsylvania yet. The wind is pretty bad though. Blew one of my chickens partway across the yard when she escaped, but it was just a gust and she made it back to safety. I think she's much more happy about being on lockdown, lol.

DD, I definitely feel you on the boredom part. It's so dreary here. I'm so used to looking out the window and seeing birds, and being able to go out and talk to them and all of that. I spent about half an hour with everyone this evening during feeding, but that was it. The folks I typically text are at work, dealing with institutions and people who're freaked out when the power flickers (although the institutes all have generators), so not really anybody to talk to either. The kids are bored ****less too. The best entertainment we've had so far is going to get feed and having a silkie in the house due to hawk injuries. They did help with filling buckets and such though, so that was nice, gave them something to do and it was a good teaching opportunity.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I went out and walked around the yard for a bit, even took a drive. There's some flooding, but not a whole lot of downed trees. And, we still have our power. I heard that Sandy made landfall, so we'll see what happens during the next few hours.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where are you at? We're Central PA. Lots of rain here. Haven't heard of any flooding, but not sure who's out there really. I haven't been more than a mile from home since yesterday, lol.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
South Jersey. If you look on this map and find where Cumberland and Salem counties meet up at the Gloucester County border, that's the general area.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are supposed to get snow later on tonight from Sandy. I am praying for those afflicted....

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's bad here on Long Island! Our house is on a hill and in the woods, so our losses so far and mainly trees. One tree was threatening to land on our newly build rabbit hutch so we had to move it. We're prepared for the worst, but thankfully so far we still have power. 10 miles away they've evacuated neighborhoods including where my brother lives. The roads are going under water and so people are using row boats to get around. I've heard that right now, Montauk is an island of it's own. Flooding is the worst it's been ever. High tide started an hour ago and I'm waiting to here on some friends about how much more the water has come up.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hey,the power is still on here,I spent a couple of hours shoveling heavy wet snow to keep our exits clear,now it doesn't look like I did anything,:hit the limbs of the pine trees next to the house are almost touching the ground now. My Dish system is still down, and no signal from local npr radio stations.

When outside I can here the trees cracking and splitting in the dark. I can't believe we still have power and phones. One fatality on the mountain today, a lady was in collision with a large sand plant truck 2 miles from here.

I watched CNN online for a while. It looks pretty bad for N.J. and L.I. NY.

Sandy has the lowest Barometric Pressure ever recorded for an Atlantic Storm. Thinking of those in harms way.

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my household hasn't prepared anything, we're testing the universe :)

So far we haven't had so much as a flicker of lights. Although watching some of those trees sway has made me paranoid for my life...

Denim Deb

Reaction score
All safe here. It's still raining, but the wind has died down. Don't know what the roads are like or how things are at the farm. I'll be leaving soon to go check on the horses.