Husband doesn't want to homeschool?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think homeschooling is good for alot of people. some kids do better in a school setting. some dont.

i for one was never popular. i just graduated class of 2010. i had one friend in grade 3 (my family moved from michigan to ohio and i dont remember grade 2 in michigan). grade 4 to six was at the sister elementary school and my friend stayed at that school. grade 7 to 12 i became friends with the same person i had in grade 3. during grade 7 and 8 i talked to this one girl during classes but we never talked out of school or anything.

and now i'm graduated and i dont talk to anyone from school.

i got bullied and made fun in school too. so i'm sith you on this! :hugs :hugs :hugs

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't want my kids exposed to the kind of things that go on at our high school. Drugs and pregnancy are rampant. Do I need to say more?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
also i went to a very small school out in the country. just over 30 kids in my graduating class. the high school is between a cow pasture and a corn field LITTERALLY!!!
kids aroung here are having sex and into drugs and alcohol at around age 14...
if i ever have kids i will homeschool.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohiogoatgirl-did we go to the same school? LOL The school that I went to is also the one that my children would go to and went to until this year. There were kids smoking pot behind the building regularly and if you weren't into drugs or sex, then you were an outsider and bullied. The whole school from k-12 has less than 400 students.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I believe most things have pros and cons. I really respect well-done homeschooling, but I'm also lucky to live in a great school district--although huge cuts have been proposed, so we'll see how it does in the future.

I think both parents have equal privilege of deciding their child's future and education. A negative/positive school experience for the parents doesn't necessarily mean the same for the kids.

As for supplementing a public education, I think he's partially correct. I wish my kids did more thinking exercises in school--and I'm not sure how much they do, as I'm not there all day--but I get that fun job all the rest of their lives. Their teachers can do the cursive writing, grammar and math tables. I can do all the fun discussions, teaching finances, talking politics, exploring museums and nature, etc.

So, I guess my point is that even in public school parents need to teach. And if homeschooling, parents need to supplement things carefully so that kids don't miss the things public school has, including gym, recess, time with friends, huge libraries, etc.

Good luck either way!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
And if homeschooling, parents need to supplement things carefully so that kids don't miss the things public school has, including gym, recess, time with friends, huge libraries, etc.
But not all public schools even have these things. You would think they do, but some just don't.

We've "homeschooled" for 3 years. Technically, my kids "go" to a public charter school independent study program. There are also virtual academies and private school independent study options.

Your husband may benefit from meeting other homeschool families, especially the dads, and talking to them. Sometimes dads are just not aware of all the options and different styles of homeschooling.

I would say the biggest benefit to homeschooling is an education that is tailored exactly to your child's needs, interests and learning styles. That, and his teachers (you two) will have nothing but his best interests at heart.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Very true. I think parents need to get their kids the best education they can. For some, that may be homeschooling, public school, private school, charter school. I also think that the parents' and kids' personalities need to be well matched. My DS would probably benefit from a Montessori or home-school situation, but I definitely could not be the person to teach him all day, every day. :)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay,..I seen this and I might as well chime in with my experience. My son done well in public school up until his 3rd grade year. He was floundering,..bored so to speak and being me,...I didn't like the effects it was having on him. So I decided to pull him out for his 4th grade year and homeschool. We had a great time,...at first. Then I figured out that this was making my son worse. He laid in bed all day, and fought with me over doing any school stuff. So needless to say, by the second semester he was placed back into public school and has thrived since. Now my sweet DH didn't have much to say about it when I made this decision to homeschool my son,...his thoughts were, give it a try. Of course our school system is limited to no choice of where they attend and no private schools to speak of. The schools are not that great academically, socially, or otherwise. On the other hand, when my daughter came along to start school,..I was very adament about homeschooling her. She is a whole differnet kettle of fish so to speak and I think she will thrive being homeschooled. My DH put his foot down and said no,..because of the experience with my son. Upsetting as it was, he too had a say so in how her education is played out. We decided to put her in public school, with the understanding IF things go downhill we can always return to the homeschool idea. She has done okay,..but she struggles. Also she has dealt with many illnesses being in public school. The place is a major germ factory and apparently she catches everything coming and going. She has suffered for two cold/flu seasons way too much. She is dreadfully sick at this moment,..again. Anyway,..with all the factors WE have decided next year we will homeschool her. We both believe now, that she will benefit greatly from the one on one time and the lack of germs. I have happily smiled and repeatedly told my DH,.."Told you so". Point being,..it is your DH's decision just as much as yours,.BUT halfway might be the best place to start. I would definately talk to the other parents and teachers,..or whomever you can and evaluate the school for what it is NOW,..not what he remembers. If he still wants to send them public,..make a deal to TRY it and see. If it doesn't work out then you can homeschool. Either way you are not committed,..there is always room for change. Your children may adapt well to public school,..then again they may not,..but wouldn't it be worth it to at least see what happens with the individual child instead of doing it because of your bad experiences or your DH's good experiences. Take time to examine all options and talk about it with you DH. Best wishes. :)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, there are many reasons to home school.

But, it is not worth the strife in a marriage when one's husband is not for it.

Better to be a "Room Mother" (if there is such a thing anymore) or volunteer at the school so you can know what you will have to "unteach" if the kids are exposed to things you don't agree are "normal."

The best thing you can do is be INVOLVED in the lives of your children. Really LISTEN to what they are saying to you. Make the most of the time you spend with them each day.

I am a "hard liner" when it comes to home schooling. I strongly believe home schooling should far SURPASS the Public school. Home school should offer better Math, English, Science, Music, Computer knowledge, History, "Socialization".... etc than the kids would get in the Public School. If you don't have the ability to teach and make education something the kids look forward to each day, then it is probably better if you make sure they have GREAT teachers. If need be find a good private school that holds your same values.

Well, that is my
TwoCents.gif
on this.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Our oldest was bored a lot in school so there was supplemental teaching on our part. We were a little ticked that a lot of son's time was spent being used as a teacher's aid. Yes it is nice for son to learn to help others, but I put him in school for you to teach him, not for him to be free labor.

Anyway, during his senior year he told us "I learned more listening to you and dad ramble than I did from my teachers." I think that was a compliment :D

My youngest is special needs and he did great up through middle school. High school was a total pain. Could I have home schooled? NO! But hubby sure could have if we could have afforded to live on one income.