hwillm1977 - MY CHICKEN IS HOME!!!!!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found the monster list of questions, and figured I should give it a go :)

01. Name? Heather
02. Gender? female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Disneyworld
04. What is your favorite color? green, or blue
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? anything minty
06. How much do you weigh? more than I should
07. How tall are you? 5ft 1inch
08. Can you swim? yes
09. Do you like to swim? Love it, wanted to be a mermaid when I was a toddler... thought that was a viable career choice at that point
10. Living arrangement? In a house, in the country, with my boyfriend
11. What's on your mouse pad? don't have one
12. Favorite board game? Monopoly
13. Favorite magazine? right now I get Juxtapoz, Mother Earth News, and Harrowsmith Country life
14. Favorite Actor? probably Johnny Depp
15. Favorite Actress? oh good lord... no idea
16. Do you have an accent? I say I don't... but I guess I have a welsh/canadian accent
17. Favorite smells? a horse barn, baking,
18. Least favorite smells? vomit
19. Favorite sound? a barn full of horses, settling in for the night and chewing their hay
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? pools
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? NO
22. Pencil or pen? both
23. Who's better - boys or girls? girls... of course :)
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? someday
25. Do you sing in the shower? nope, I'm so tone-deaf I don't want to scare anyone.
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? no idea...
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Right now it would be 'Do I have to shovel the driveway to get to work' or 'I wish the dogs wouldn't lick my eyelids'
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? 2-3, depending on if I've misplaced the cordless phone
29. How do you want to die? peacefully in my sleep after living in great health until the age of 100.
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? NO
31. Gold or silver? Silver
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? only if someone stood behind me and pushed, I'd be chicken to actually do the jump but I do want to
33. Do you like dressing up? yep
34. Would you rather be short or tall? short, I'm happy where I am.
35. Do you enjoy reading? Love it!
36. What book are you reading now? lol... 101 dog tricks
37. Favorite books? I liked the Clan of the Cave Bear series... but I love tons of books.
38. What was the last movie you saw? Food Inc.
39. Favorite movies? don't really have one
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? no, but I do sleep with two pit bulls
41. What is your sign? Virgo
42. What are your personality traits? Perfectionist, tend to nit pick... but patient, optimistic, constantly able to look at the funny side of things...
43. What's your biggest fear? I have an irrational fear of swimming in natural bodies of water.... I'm afraid I will find a dead body.
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? thought about it, briefly
45. Future child's name? Arwyn for a girl, Keiran for a boy... we're working on it.
46. Favorite foods? anything sweet and salty.... like Kettle corn
47. Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? yep
49. Storms - cool or scary? Cool... mom and I used to make cocoa on the woodstove and sit on the glassed-in porch to watch lightning
50. Do you like to dance? love dancing
51. Do you do drugs? no
52. Do you smoke? never
53. What do you think of people who smoke? their choice
54. Do you drink? rarely
55. Favorite drink? Water... but I also have a weakness for Diet Pepsi Max... trying to cut that out though
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? yep, one of my best friends is a guy
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? yes
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? I would ride and train dressage horses, and run a pit bull rescue on the side :)
59. What's your "type"? kind and funny
60. Do you bite your nails? used to, not anymore
61. Any siblings? one brother
62. What movies have you cried in? The Pit Pony... and Unleashed are two I can think of... I wept watching Unleashed, but that's a documentary so I don't know if that counts.
63. Do you believe in God? not really... that's a complicated question.
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? oh yes
65. Have you ever stolen anything? yep, I was 12... two days later I took it back to the store and put it back on the shelf without anyone noticing.
66. Do you procrastinate? a lot
67. Do you believe in fate? yes
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? snuffulupagus (spelling?)
69. Do you organize your CD's? no
70. What is your favorite kind of music? I listen to anything really
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? depends on my mood
72. What was the last CD you got? John Prine greatest hits
73. MTV or VH1? neither
74. Who do you admire the most? my mother
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? I have people I keep in touch with, but not in the boyfriend/girlfriend type way
76. Are you single? um...NO
77. Favorite TV show? Bones
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? doesn't matter
79. Glasses or contacts? I need glasses, but don't have any
80. What color are your eyes? grey blue
81. What is your natural hair color? blonde
82. But what color is it now? I don't dye it... it used to be pink
83. Have you ever been in love? still am
84. Any pets? yes, two dogs, one cat and one horse
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? great, I was a teacher's pet :)
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? always, always full
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? absolutely
88. What's under your bed? nothing, the boxspring and mattress are on the floor :)
89. What is your favorite number? 13
90. Favorite sport to watch? dressage... which bores my boyfriend to death

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Inspired by Ohiofarmgirl's adventures with her Big Man that lies about mice... I figured I would share my adventures with mice now that the cold has settled in they have moved into the house.

My cat was a city cat, I don't really think he understands that he now lives in the country with other creatures.

I came home from work the other day to my cat sitting proudly in the dining room with a mouse sitting beside him. Telling him what a good hunter he was, I went to get the shovel (I do NOT touch mice, dead or alive, unless they are a pet). Poked the shovel under the edge of the mouse to pick him up, and he JUMPED OFF THE END OF THE SHOVEL... ran behind my cat and stopped... my cat proceeded to flip himself over and present his belly to his new best friend the mouse in hopes of a rub. As much as I don't like them, I also can't kill one (the BF wanted me to step on it... gross) without a trap. So I let my intrepid hunter dog out into the room and she dispatched the mouse with ease...

My poor city cat has no idea that he's not supposed to be friends with the critters who come in our home. :)

SmokeyBelly.jpg

Carrie, my hunter dog, on the other hand regularly kills mice and moles...

She wakes me up every morning by kissing my face until I wake up to get her breakfast. I didn't think anything of it when something wet touched my face yesterday morning. I went to push her away... my inconsistent snooze button, she will sometimes go back to sleep for half an hour... this time my hand doesn't touch her nose, it's something small and slimy on my cheek... I opened my eyes to the dead body of the mole she caught, gutted and placed on my pillow... she's sitting happily beside the bed wagging her tail.

I don't think I've ever gotten out of bed faster than I did at that moment... screeching... I think I hurt Carrie's feelings when I wasn't thoroughly impressed with her hunting skills :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We had a big FAT lazy yellow and white cat named Gabriel a long time ago. I was quite certain that he had NO idea how to kill a mouse. One day the time came to put him to the test.

We had captured a mouse in a trap by its tail. Still VERY MUCH alive. In order to test the suspect cat we placed the mouse in our empty bathtub. (Now we KNOW for a fact
that the bathtub WILL hold a live mouse - this is where we made the kids play with their hamster, so this HAS been tested. )

Then we put the cat in the bathroom, with live mouse still scurrying around in tub, shut the door and went away. Two hours later we checked on the "progress". They were getting along splendidly! The cat was in the tub with the mouse and the mouse was resting on his BACK!! :ep Stupid cat.

Again the dog had to be the dispatcher.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I opened my eyes to the dead body of the mole she caught, gutted and placed on my pillow...
AAAHHAHHAHAHGGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(shrieks and falls over in a heap)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
I opened my eyes to the dead body of the mole she caught, gutted and placed on my pillow...
AAAHHAHHAHAHGGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(shrieks and falls over in a heap)
That's a pretty accurate description of what I did too! :gig

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, so here's what my pallet coop ended up looking like... I only have the one photo so far because my camera died out there and now I'm at work... but I'll take more :) Total cost including hinges, hardware, chicken wire and wood was $131, which I think isn't too bad. It will eventually have a plywood roof, but I ran out of money so for now they are living with a plastic sheet for a roof.

The coop is 3x8 feet, and the run is 8x8 feet... it holds four chickens:

HPIM0909.jpg

Here's the girls cleaning up some salad left over from my supper the night before:

HPIM0908.jpg

I have no idea what breed they actually are, the two choices at the Farmer's Coop were 'Brown' or 'White'... that's what was on the order form.

And here's my very first EGG, which arrived this morning :)

HPIM0906.jpg

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The first egg is so exciting. Congratulations!:weee
Those hens look like my Buckeyes, But they also look like Rhode Island Reds and Welsummers-Hard to tell. If you want to know what they are post that Pic over on BYC and you'll get answers-They love breed ID pics over there!!!!

Latest posts