Hydroponic tip for this hot weather

sbrook_325

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Excellent point ~gd

As my setup is outside, with no way to concentrate CO or air, I am limited to what I can add to water for a little boost. A lot of the hydroponics is geared toward or comes from...indoor growth of shall we say, something besides veggies ;) Another way to generate CO is to take some sugar, yeast, and....maybe..corn....and let that ferment under an airlock....maybe that should be another thread :D....lol. But it produces CO, along with a rough form of fermented beer, which could be further refined to produce ethanol. When I first started this hobby, I tried growing veggies in my kitchen, with a south facing window, and even bought a 400 watt metal halide light to start them out with, and for growth. I bought a light meter, and putting that light meter one inch from the bulb, was less light than shadows outside. With time, patience, and skill, a person could tweak and manage their inside grow area to produce some amazing stuff. I saw that by using large lights, and I added another 400 watt and a 600 watt high pressure sodium, I still was not getting as good a light as I could outside, for free. Hard to compete with the sun. My results indoors were poor. Growth was rapid, but fruiting poor.

As I increase skills and knowledge over time and from the people here, I may try growing indoors again. I have had no one to compare notes with, or guide me on this hydroponic adventure. I can see some advantages, some disadvantages, over soil methods. But it is fun, and satisfying when things come out good with it.

Thanks, everyone have a great day

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sbrook_325 said:
Excellent point ~gd

As my setup is outside, with no way to concentrate CO or air, I am limited to what I can add to water for a little boost. A lot of the hydroponics is geared toward or comes from...indoor growth of shall we say, something besides veggies ;) Another way to generate CO is to take some sugar, yeast, and....maybe..corn....and let that ferment under an airlock....maybe that should be another thread :D....lol. But it produces CO, along with a rough form of fermented beer, which could be further refined to produce ethanol. When I first started this hobby, I tried growing veggies in my kitchen, with a south facing window, and even bought a 400 watt metal halide light to start them out with, and for growth. I bought a light meter, and putting that light meter one inch from the bulb, was less light than shadows outside. With time, patience, and skill, a person could tweak and manage their inside grow area to produce some amazing stuff. I saw that by using large lights, and I added another 400 watt and a 600 watt high pressure sodium, I still was not getting as good a light as I could outside, for free. Hard to compete with the sun. My results indoors were poor. Growth was rapid, but fruiting poor.

As I increase skills and knowledge over time and from the people here, I may try growing indoors again. I have had no one to compare notes with, or guide me on this hydroponic adventure. I can see some advantages, some disadvantages, over soil methods. But it is fun, and satisfying when things come out good with it.

Thanks, everyone have a great day
Poor Fruiting? How did you handle pollination? few if any bees inside and most will not fruit if not pollinated.

sbrook_325

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used a make up brush, and did it by hand, and gently shook blooms. Fruit formed, was just not very big, or in enough amounts. It just seemed like something was holding them back.