Hypochondriacs?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hope you both get to feel better soon!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It used to be said that you had to eat a peck of dirt before you die... probably a backhanded way of saying exposure to germs led to a healthier child. Of course, it can also lead to hepatitis like it did for me, lol. I don't think there are any easy answers. I do know that natural foods that are minimally processed taste better, and that's good enough for me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I accept that not everything can be non-GMO, organic, etc. Moderation in eating those, staying away from heavy processed foods with all the dyes, unknown chems, washing what we buy in produce & raising what we can as natural as we can, is a way to cope.

There is a difference nutritionally in many foods that are available commercially from both GMO & hybridization. Wheat is one huge element in this as the old types produced a different nutritional makeup from deeper roots, different minerals, no commercial fertilizers and so on.

Try to cook more from scratch. Limit the "other" stuff. Never will get it perfect but, I sure work at my own little simple life. Many people do not eat well, just a lot & nutritionally poor.

I strongly believe the chemicals used in today's commercial food production & processing are the cause of many, many health issues. Just as a decrease in general physical activity is affecting the populations health.

Many people cannot grow their own because they do not know how and do not want to work to do it. It IS A LOT of work! Their choice. My choice. I see people everyday who are 1/2 my age and not 1/2 as healthy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dare I say "get used to it" "Learn to deal with it" "it could be a heck of a lot worse". "What do we really have to whine about" ???

That's how I feel too, especially if the medical field can't seem to work out one's medical issues and they have tried "everything" without effecting a positive change. My theory is this~this is my new normal, the sooner I get used to it, the better. Roll on with life.

And, yes, I think the populace is weaker due to sedentary life styles, lack of year round exposure to the sun and fresh air, and what they stick in their bodies as fuel. And they all want a quick cure for everything because they are so used to everything happening fast nowadays. Said cure should also not require any effort on their part...work of any kind is anathema, be it physical or on one's health. They go to the doctor in many cases so they can pass that buck along, when they know full well they need to change their lifestyle for a cure.

My boys will call me up and say, "I've got this, this and this happening...do you think I should call off work today and rest up, try to get this better?" I always tell them that's something only they can decide, but they will be sick/in pain/etc. whether they are at work or whether they stay home, so, if you can stand it and you won't pass it to others or it won't affect your job, why not get paid while you are suffering?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Read the most interesting book today on an auto-immune disease called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis. It's a rare disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the brain. A fascinating read! It's called Brain on Fire. The symptoms start out rather simply and progress through many stages. Symptoms can range from flu-like - progressing to seizures, to mimicking schizophrenia and even causing the afflicted person to go into a catatonic state, and many more. Since I'm into researching brain dysfunction these days I found it an awesome look into a dysfunctional mind.

Anyone who questions whether auto-immune diseases are "real" should give this a look see.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Read the most interesting book today on an auto-immune disease called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis. It's a rare disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the brain. A fascinating read! It's called Brain on Fire. The symptoms start out rather simply and progress through many stages. Symptoms can range from flu-like - progressing to seizures, to mimicking schizophrenia and even causing the afflicted person to go into a catatonic state, and many more. Since I'm into researching brain dysfunction these days I found it an awesome look into a dysfunctional mind.

Anyone who questions whether auto-immune diseases are "real" should give this a look see.

That sounds terrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Is it caused by non organic beans or gluten bread? :gig

Sorry jk.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I accept that not everything can be non-GMO, organic, etc. Moderation in eating those, staying away from heavy processed foods with all the dyes, unknown chems, washing what we buy in produce & raising what we can as natural as we can, is a way to cope.

There is a difference nutritionally in many foods that are available commercially from both GMO & hybridization. Wheat is one huge element in this as the old types produced a different nutritional makeup from deeper roots, different minerals, no commercial fertilizers and so on.

Try to cook more from scratch. Limit the "other" stuff. Never will get it perfect but, I sure work at my own little simple life. Many people do not eat well, just a lot & nutritionally poor.

I strongly believe the chemicals used in today's commercial food production & processing are the cause of many, many health issues. Just as a decrease in general physical activity is affecting the populations health.

Many people cannot grow their own because they do not know how and do not want to work to do it. It IS A LOT of work! Their choice. My choice. I see people everyday who are 1/2 my age and not 1/2 as healthy.

We don't really buy organic But I don't like the idea of using chemicals so much. I don't use them in my garden.

We try not to buy processed food. You don't know what's in it. I don't think processed foods are healthy, but we are guilty as well. Sometimes the easy meals are too tempting

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have issues with onions especially raw ones. It's hereditary. Grandma had issues. Mom and half her siblings have same issue. Can't digest them and it makes me painfully sick. The solution was to work up a tolerance and keep it up. I just have to be careful to not overdo it. This is my only food problem now. Mom says I had a milk allergy as a baby but outgrew it by 8 months. No milk issues now at all.

I get sick eating commercial bread. I have no issues with homemade stuff. It's one of the chemicals I react to.

I can't use deoderants or antiperspirants. Nasty rash and hives. So salt crystal for me.

I can eat baking soda, but if I get it on my chest or any of the thinner skin spots it literally burns me. All the swelling, redness, and later peeling. Other chemicals also burn me.

Theme there for me on chemical sensitivity.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have issues with onions especially raw ones. It's hereditary. Grandma had issues. Mom and half her siblings have same issue. Can't digest them and it makes me painfully sick. The solution was to work up a tolerance and keep it up. I just have to be careful to not overdo it. This is my only food problem now. Mom says I had a milk allergy as a baby but outgrew it by 8 months. No milk issues now at all.

I get sick eating commercial bread. I have no issues with homemade stuff. It's one of the chemicals I react to.

I can't use deoderants or antiperspirants. Nasty rash and hives. So salt crystal for me.

I can eat baking soda, but if I get it on my chest or any of the thinner skin spots it literally burns me. All the swelling, redness, and later peeling. Other chemicals also burn me.

Theme there for me on chemical sensitivity.

What kind of symptoms do you get from commercial bread?

The lady I was referring to in the op couldn't really name any symptoms. They were very vague. She mentioned not having energy or something or other. I think it was just an excuse to buy pricey stuff and look special, but I can't be certain. I just got the feeling she was full of crap and maybe a little crazy. Maybe looking for attention and acting out to the point where she actually believed what she was saying. But like I said I'm not certain.

Latest posts