Hypochondriacs?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stomach pain and constant heartburn.

Makes me wonder what they are putting in it. You never know. He'll look at the list of ingredients on food now days. I can't pronounce none of that stuff.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Commercial cookies don't bother me. It's probably something in the dough conditioners.

The cheap french bread from the Safeway bakery is fine, but I can't handle it from other stores. I test hoping for more easy options

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We read labels and opt for the least ingredients. Helps that I understand what a lot of it is and is used for.

Example is the black licorice hubby just got. He was "lets try this new one. It's a few cents cheaper." I flipped it over. It had 14 different ingredients, most chemicals. Gave hubby the eye and put it back and grabbed the usual kind that has 4.

I do not eat licorice

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are going to try and keep making more and more of our own food. I really don't like the idea of feeding God knows what to my kids. But I'm not gonna pay the extra money for the trendy stuff either. It's just the principal of it, ya know?

For example. There's a dairy by my father in laws house. He sells whole milk to the processor for next to nothing. Like 50 cents a gallon or something. Then he also takes the same unprocessed milk and pour it in a jug and sells it for $8 a gallon to the public. My father in law offered to buy me some and I turned him down because of the price. He said "what's the big deal? I'm paying" the big deal is that milk gets put threw high dollar equipment and then bottled and shipped and only costs $3. This dude is selling it for 50c but wants to charge me $7.50 for the plastic milk jug. People pay it because it's trendy. Eff that guy and his milk. Ya know?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Hinotori sensitivity to onions and wheat products can be a sensitivity to fructans, and oligosaccaride. I have it very mildly, as long as I don't gorge on either, I'd never notice. I didn't notice until I did an elimination diet. The elimination diet had no effect on the symptom that was bothering me, but I did notice feeling more comfortable without the fructans. They're very difficult to eliminate so I don't bother. Apparently sourdough breads and those with longer rising time have lower fructan levels. I wondered if that had anything to do with why store bread bothers you while homemade does not.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dont do sourdough at home. Usually just sweet rolls as a yeast bread or more likely baking powder biscuits. No issues.

Well none unless I gorge on them and spike my blood sugar.

I stay away from a lot of the grains more because of the blood sugar issues. My worst is rice then corn. Wheat and rye are much lower on issues and barley is least.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What amazes me is the people who won't pay $2.50 for farm fresh eggs, but will spend a ton of money on the cage free eggs in the store.

I don't have problems w/most foods that I eat, but I have to watch out for MSG. That, along w/too much salt, caffeine and many odors can trigger my Meneire's. It is no fun to eat something, and suddenly feel like the room is spinning.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Freaking scents. I can't wear most perfume as it makes me sick. I guess a lot of people are like that because base has a no scents rules in their clinic. You come in wearing a ton of stuff they make you leave and miss your appointment.

Wouldn't be so bad but people bathe in the stuff nowadays when they wear it. What happened to not being able to smell any perfume past three feet? Then in the guy you're wearing it for wanted a better smell he had to get much closer.

They also don't seem to realize that only certain scents work for certain people's body chemistry.

Axe doesn't work for anyone. Took my brother a decade to realise that

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's almost 7 years younger than me so I thankfully wasn't living at home at that time.

I'm not sure about him believing the commercials, but I could smell him from a hundred feet away outside in still air.

Mom forced him to put it on outside before school. All the cool guys were wearing it so he had to. *rolls eyes*

It's a small school. I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me when I went through, neither did my brother who's 5 years younger than me