hypothyroid?

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My doctor has me on Iodoral. Amazon has it for around $20, my health food store sells it for $50. But one bottle lasts about 3 months.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Interesting. Now that I'm not eating gluten, I'm having much fewer troubles with indigestion.
I was taking pariet daily, but since stopping glutern, I have not needed it in over4 months. No reflux whatsoever. I'm am still hypothyroid, however, but next time I go to the doc, I will get my levels tested again.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was dianosed with hypothyroidism when i was 15. I've been on medication since then. I recently became very depressed and sleepy all the time, i also started getting my menustration a couple weeks late every month. I also started suffering from anxiety attacks and heart paliitations. This is interesting as well, I started craving salt like crazy. I would even make a special trip to the store that has the best pickles ever. I am like a kid when i want one and am soooo satisfied when I get it. I try not to go every day but mmmm the pickles rock right now. I'm worse than a prego woman.

I went in for a physical and told the doc i was thinking about quitting my job cuz it's to hard to do it all anymore. She showed me my blood panel and it basically looked like my thyroid wasn't working at all even though i take my meds every day. She bumped up my dose another step and we will see how that goes.

about the lump in your throat feeling and such...I have a full feeling in my throat sometimes and sharp pains too. I think that is normal if your thyroid is acting up.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
shareneh said:
I was dianosed with hypothyroidism when i was 15. I've been on medication since then. I recently became very depressed and sleepy all the time, i also started getting my menustration a couple weeks late every month. I also started suffering from anxiety attacks and heart paliitations.
Classic examples of iodine deficiency.
I really recommend that you read up on it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Huh. I get that sometimes. No wonder I crave seaweeds! LOL!

I look at my package of dulse flakes. HUGE amount of iodine. Can't recall how much and the kitchen is too far away to go look >.>

But when I'm depressed and lethargic is when I crave seaweed. Guess my body is more clever than I am :D

I have a hyper thyroid. hype hype hype!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I only learned recently how much salt is in pickles. I have been eating them more regularly because I have a tendency to not eat enough salt and that makes me highly susceptible to heat sickness. :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know as much about the hyperthyroid problem but some of the iodine doctors say that it can be caused by iodine deficiency also.... not sure how that happens.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
well... in my body if something is going to go wrong, it goes hyper, not hypo.

i make so much dopamine that i throw myself into schizophrenia if i'm not really careful. i either have too much serotonin or too much dopamine. they flip flop. i make too much insulin. my blood sugar is more stable now but i'll make insulin and crash my blood sugar smelling a sweet flower. my body's not picky. what if i thought to eat it?

i'm also just hyper in general. this is me worn out on a growth spurt. you should SEE me with energy. **BOING!!!!** ask 'zilla. lol.

so... *shrugs*

if it's iodine i burn off too fast, i'll experiment with replacing it and see what calms down. who knows. lol. i had so much malabsorption for so long i'm probably missing most of my vitamins and minerals still. i'm pretty sure the late late puberty was severe malnourishment. even my dentist said my back molars never closed, so they never finished growing (my growth paused at the right time) and/or never had the nourishment to close. the only amazing thing was that they didn't all cavity right away LOL.

speaking of... i want more milk.

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
anyone been diagnosed with hypothyroidism? I'm pretty much spot-on with symptoms (tiredness, "brain fog", muscle aches, etc.), but my TSH is normal, according to my doc. Now I've been having a sensation of a lump in my throat, altho he says my thyroid feels normal on the outside.

Anyway, I have read online that a TSH is not always the most accurate way to dx hypothyroid, but I'm not sure of the reliability of the source. Anybody else have any experience in this area?
You can put a quarter sized spot of iodine on your body (where it doesn't show) and see how long it takes to fade. Twenty four hours is normal thyroid. Less is underactive, more is overactive. Your thyroid need Iodine support, so if it isn't getting it, the thyroid cannot work well enough. Just keep applying a spot when it fades until you reach the point it lasts about 24hrs.
I've done it for years just to keep my thyroid strong. I move my "spot" everyday, so the body can absorb it from a different place.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/iodine_patch_test.htm