I am a sprouting fool!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so my expierment for this month was sprouting. I started with Mung beans and alfalfa. Wow how great is this. I put a half cup of mung beans in the bottom of a crock and with just the minimal effort 5- 6 days later I have a gallon size bag full. The alfalfa were something I actually have never eaten. But I figured it would be the perfect substitute for sal greens this winter. My first batch took about a week and turned out great. I am actually eating a sandwich as we speek. I figured I should give them a try, I have been feeding them to my 8 year old son all week. Whoo hooo they are great.

I do have a question though, for those expierenced sprout people. Do the Alfalfa like the sun. My kitchen is off a covered porch. Not a ton of direct lihgt. The sprouts were a bit slow on the get go. I used 2 tbsp to a 1/2 gallon jar and some did not germinate. I moved them into the window and they seemed a bit better. Should I find a sunnier spot? Will they grow faster?

Anyways just thought I would share. gina

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Nothing like having a sprouting fool here amongst us. LOL
I am going to have to try that. Where did you get your alfafa? This is something I never thought of before. Thanks for posting. Tell me all you know from beginning to end. That is ask with a big PLEASE

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
(boing boing boing!) I want to make sprouts! Do you use a home made sprouter or a bought one?

Cassandra

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so my expierment for this month was sprouting. I started with Mung beans and alfalfa. Wow how great is this. I put a half cup of mung beans in the bottom of a crock and with just the minimal effort 5- 6 days later I have a gallon size bag full. The alfalfa were something I actually have never eaten. But I figured it would be the perfect substitute for sal greens this winter. My first batch took about a week and turned out great. I am actually eating a sandwich as we speek. I figured I should give them a try, I have been feeding them to my 8 year old son all week. Whoo hooo they are great.

I do have a question though, for those expierenced sprout people. Do the Alfalfa like the sun. My kitchen is off a covered porch. Not a ton of direct lihgt. The sprouts were a bit slow on the get go. I used 2 tbsp to a 1/2 gallon jar and some did not germinate. I moved them into the window and they seemed a bit better. Should I find a sunnier spot? Will they grow faster?

Anyways just thought I would share. gina
I sprout next to my sink which is near a window and does get quite a bit of light. Could be that it does matter.
Have you tried radish sprouts yet. MMmmmmm, nice spicy taste. They're my favorites and I like broccoli sprouts too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well let's see if can explain. I started doing research on my family food storage. Came across a web site Emergency Essientals, they sell all kind of stuff in five gallon buckets and # 10 cans. I noticed one of the things the recomended for storage was sprouting seeds. I started looking into the process and what was involved. Did a google search and watched some youtube videos. It's very simple with huge rewards. Beans and legumes ingrease their nutritional value by like several hundred percent when sprouted and have a gazillion uses. Then they are considered a "live food". Also because they are whole beans etc you could use them to plant and grow more if necessary.

I purchased the set they sold on the web site it included a book my Ann Wigmore it's copywrite date is the mid 80's but it is full of a ton of information. Describes all the seeds how they prefer to grow etc.. so after reading my book I learned about mung beans. They're the white sprouts from the grocery, you usually find in egg foo young. My mom used a lot when I was a kid. they like it dark and grow well under pressure. I used a soup toureen and a bowl that just happened to fit in the top. Cut a chunk of nylon screen from a roll in the garage and wa la I was in business. So most seeds require a good soak usually over night. Then it's just a matter of rinsing and draining a couple times a day for several days. The sprouts grow so fast it's crazy.

The alfalfa is in a half gallon jar. Same thing. Soak, and rinse for several days. The seed just grow. I found a web site I think it was called Sprout people. They sell a 3 pack of lids with differend size screens and even the sprouting seeds. Much smaller quantities than I first bought. Probably a better starter thing. The lids are kinda a luxery like I said, I used a piece of screen and a big rubberband at first. The ring from the mason jar is perfect. Some people use the tray and kits but I never got one.

For my wheat grass I used a long plastic regtangle drawer organizer thing. Put my wheat in and started watering. I now have wheat grass in the window sill. It goes in the kids smoothies and you can't even taste it. It's another on of those live food things.

I know I am rambleing but I hope this helps. I am really excited and have a few more types of things to try. I think next is the Adzuki beans then and the lentils. I let you know.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sprout gal? lol

That is a great informational post. I love the "live food" issue! that was great to read and your enthusiasm has me "googling" info now also. THANKS for a new project for me!

Such a wonderful source of live food and so under-used I am sure. Cool!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you sprout like... butter beans, or lima beans or purple hull peas?

Cassandra

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I looove sprouts on a sandwich !!!!

I have always wanted to grow them and this is inspires me to know its so easy to do. I will have to look into it a bit more.

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me to start some sprouts. I usually don't do sprouts in the summer when there is so much live green coming from the garden. Now is the ideal time, after garden and before the greenhouse is producing much. We have such a dry climate that I keep a fresh damp towel over the air holes or my seeds dry out too fast, even rinsing them 5 times a day. I find that the towel also helps keep them dark and that way I can keep them right next to the sink so they are not forgotten.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did the book explain or maybe you already know. Why in the grocery store there is usually a label stating that sprouts pose a high risk for children and elders for (I think) salmonella? Am I misinformed?