I am back :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was without internet for about a week prior to our move and I have really missed all of your daily happenings!

We did not end up with the house with the pool. We ended up with a really nice house on a very large lot (more than 3 x the size of our last house...still little to most of you though!), and the best part is that the guy we are renting from would like to sell us the house! The yard is big enough for me to work on my dream of being more self sufficient, so keep your fingers crossed that it all works out!

One thing I am trying to get my head around is coyotes. We have lots of open rolling hills and lots of coyotes...we hear them at night. I desperately want both chickens and ducks...any advice on how to manage them and keep them from becoming a coyote snack?

I have missed everyone, so now I am off to try to catch up with all the posts. I hope that everyone had a lovely holiday with your loved ones!

Wanda has your daughter delivered the baby?
Karen, what was Tony's diagnosis?
Hope everyone else is well!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Welcome back Dace! That is awesome that you got a bigger lot!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome back, Dace!!! :) Sounds like you're going to have to get a Great Pyrenees pup to keep the 'yotes away. Three acres!!!! YOu can have a garden and some goats and some chickens and a donkey to help your GP with the coyotes...and..and....well, I'll think of more later!!! Oh..and a milk cow!!! :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Bee, you misread my post my dear :) our lot is 3 times larger...but it is only 36K sq feet...under an acre! We were on only 11k sq ft.

3 acres I wish!!

Fill my in on the donkey thing...I have heard of them keeping away the coytes before but is that really true?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Everyone around here swears by them for protecting their sheep and leave their sheep on summer and spring pasture way up in the mountains with only a donkey for a guard...never lose a lamb to the packs of coyotes around here, nor to a bear.

Sorry about misreading you, but you could still have some livestock, couldn't you? And maybe a mini donkey? They are cute, and if you breed, you can sell the babies for a good profit.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Dace good to see you. Up here in Vista I have a ton of coyotes. For my hens I have a house and enclosed run. They have never been harmed. I do on occasion let them out to free range. Always after mid morning and back in at dusk. I have had coyote come around mid day and snatch a couple hens. It's a chance I take with free ranging without a fence.

i don't know if you read my post about our kittens and the coyotes standing at the back door looking through the glass but if you have a cat keep it close.

Glad to hear your all moved. Sounds like your on your way with that acre. Remember "The Path to Freedom" they only have 1/5 an acre. There are so many options, and My offer to help is always there. Merry Christmas a bit late. Gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HI DACE!
GLAD you are back! :frow
I was missing your posts and was wondering how you were doing...AND all sounds wonderful for you! SEE!!!!! You got more land and are excited about your new digs. that is FAB! Happy for you!

when you build your chicken/duck coop.....be sure it is Fort Knox. Also since you have varmints around, like coyotes and raccoons and everything in this world WANTS to eat our birds, lol, be sure to add a dig-proof perimeter. You can set some boards in the ground around the edge, you can get like a ditch-witch machine and make a trench and put wire into the ground.....just something to keep the digging at bay and it truly cements that foundation to be more fort knox against the varmints!

I bet yoiu can't wait to get set up with your own chickens and such! COOL!

You sound happy and that was worrying me about your move, but it seems all is fine and you have that land to become more SS.....and possiblity of buying the house...SO NEAT....just goes to show you never know what changes will bring! Sounds like great ones for you!

Tony did a MRI yesterday. Results on Monday wtih the Dr.

He went to the barn to work on the broken front-end loader and he said he was having chest pains. ...UGH! But he goes Jan.8 to the cardiologist again. He has a mild headache each and every day now for over a month at least. I don't know....:idunno---but we are trying to get him fixed. Thanks for asking. Taking all medical tests in stride. We will get it all worked out....just gotta keep pluggin' along til we hit the right problem to be fixed..LOL

take care and be sure to chat up a storm about your new house!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Dace-- Glad to hear you got a place. Are you in a very poplulated area? Cause you can keep coyotes at bay somewhat by peeing around the edge of your property. I know, I know.... :rolleyes: But it works. It will also keep rabbits out of your garden .

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dace- good to hear from you- sounds like you have found your feet after all that uncertianty.
I started out with my first house - which was all of 854 square feet with a matching postage stamp yard- then to a 1200 footer with a 1/3 of an acre. At that place I had a greenhouse, 15 fruit and nut trees and 13 raised beds- with a little barn and paddock thrown in too. It is amazing what a little land can grow if it has some sun.
Then I moved to my 2 1/2 acres and am starting all over again.

I recommend a book called Edible Landscaping- almost everything I grew on that 1/3 of an acre was a dual purpose plant- to produce food and look good doing it. By the way, I lied about the 1/3 acre- it was almost a third- :lol:
Welcome home...............

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Dace said:
Bee, you misread my post my dear :) our lot is 3 times larger...but it is only 36K sq feet...under an acre! We were on only 11k sq ft.
Your yard is larger than mine, I've only got 26,000 sq ft here, just over half an acre, but it's all being worked, at some level, I'd love to have more, but gotta make due with what we have, and that's fine by me :)