I am back :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
HI DACE!!

Glad to have you back!! Also good to hear you found a house.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yaaaaaay Dace:D

I was so worried about you. I felt so bad that you left. You are full of good advise and I watch for your posts so don't leave again. :hit

Now about that yard...Mine is really small compared to the other people's in town and I do fine. My neighbors like to see what new experiments I have going and are very supportive. I hope you find the same where you are living. Thank God for your option to buy on your place. :D That is a great place to start out. I know you can make it work so don't worry.

Nice to have you back. :celebrate

Sharene

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome back and all of the inspirational input :)

I know that I can do A LOT with this little hunk of land! I really hope that it all works out and we become the owners...in many ways it is just perfect. In fact, the kitchen is really great and I am going to star teaching cooking lessons here. That is something that I toyed with doing for a while at our last house but this kitchen really just works better.....so I am really excited about that.

ETR...thanks for the book suggestion, I will look for it

Keljonma....I love the Dervaes family. I cam across one of their YouTube videos, one that explained what they were all about ( Home Grown Revolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPEBM5ol0Q ) and it made a profound impact on me. They are an amazing inspiration!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Dace! So glad you're back and made it through your move in one piece. Glad to hear that the house is working out well too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
WElcome back!
My yard is about 3/4 acre total. The part that is fenced is about 1/2 acre. My 13 chickens, 4 ducks and 3 dogs have plenty of space. I have room for a couple of small goats. I would love to get some this spring but DH is not convinced that we have the time. I also worry that our neighbors are a little close. That is more of a concern for us rather than the size of the yard.
We have coyotes in this area. We've seen what is probably a coyote/dog mixed breed within a quarter mile of the house. We are careful to lock everybody up when it starts getting dark. The yard is fenced but not in any way that would keep a coyote out. Our three dogs do their business around the perimeter and I bet the scent helps deter some animals from getting under or over the fence.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have your hubby and kids pee around the perimeter of the yard and near the coop. I had my husband and son do that and it seems to keep the coyotes away. We have them living right outside of town. We also have a mountain lion or cougar that wondered by this fall.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
shareneh said:
Have your hubby and kids pee around the perimeter of the yard and near the coop.
I am sure that my son would get a kick out of that LOL! Not so sure hubby would want to though...:gig

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Dace said:
shareneh said:
Have your hubby and kids pee around the perimeter of the yard and near the coop.
I am sure that my son would get a kick out of that LOL! Not so sure hubby would want to though...:gig
Same here!! My boys would in a heartbeat but I am not sure DH would! We have coyotes in the area but so far we have not had any problems with them.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Dace said:
shareneh said:
Same here!! My boys would in a heartbeat but I am not sure DH would! We have coyotes in the area but so far we have not had any problems with them.
PP, that is my concern..I do not want to have any problems! Once they figure out that food is available on your property you become part of their regular search area. It will be a little while before I get any chickies, gotta but the place first! Hopefully by Spring.