I am curious: Who here doesn't use Wal-mart? Why??

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My family and I have used Wal-mart since they first reared there heads up here in Maine. After researching and seeing what type of Corp Wal-mart is I have choosen to not shop there at all.

I am not really looking for a big debate. I'm just curious why people don't or do.

Personally, I think that being self sufficient is also about supporting and helping local businessess and made local items.

Please check out WAL-MART the high cost of low price DVD

Latest news up here in my area is:

Wal-mart in Ellsworth Maine just opened a massive Wal-mart this past month and a month later just did a massive lay off.
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/132631.html
This is what the news is writting about. We on the local level saw a hyped up hiring news report and then a spin on the lay off report.

Another art http://investing.businessweek.com/r...Tribune||provider||ACQUIREMEDIA&symbol=WMT:US Sorry for the long link but another propaganda statement by wal-mart officials.

Wal-mart should be ashamed of giving people hope for the holiday seasons if that is truelly the people thay layed off and I AM SURE THEY WEREN'T.

Walton Family $102 Billion:
Sam Walton:
Helen Walton $18 billion
--------------------------------------
Alice Walton $18 billion
John Walton $18.2 billion
Jim Walton $18.3 billion
Rob Walton $18.3 billion
Nancy Walton Laurie
Ann Walton Kroenke

Actual updated numbers http://ranqit.com/Ranqings/Default.aspx?currentRanqing=richest people in america
10 richest in america Interesting if you really look into it. HMMMM

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I do my best to avoid walmart. Sometimes I don't have much choice, like when I needed canning lids and all the places around were out and walmart was the only place close that I could find any. I still rather support the local independent stores, even if I am broke myself.
I shop Goodwill for real bargains ;) and thus help keep stuff out of landfills and help people be employed.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The ONLY thing we have ever bought at WalMart, is the 10 lb bag of "chicken leg quarters".
They USED to be $0.49 a lb, but they just went up to $0.69 per lb.
We will be looking elsewhere to see if we can get a better deal. :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We don't do Walmart either, not unless like FD said,..you have too. There is times when you need stuff and no one has it in stock at the moment or they don't carry it, so off to Walmart. I hate it, but they have this nation by the neck. :idunno

ETA,..we have ONE Walmart within a 50 mile radius here, it is a supercenter. We have piles of other grocery stores, tire centers, and discount houses. Most people I know choose to shop at Walmart because it is convinient. You can do all your shopping in one place. With that said I can see why many choose to go there. If your buying groceries why not go where they are cheapest? We do not frequent Wallie world too much because of the distance. I shop here at our local mom n' pop grocery store for most of our items. It cost a little more, but it saves me time. Walmart to me is no different than any other big chain operation, but for some reason they catch a lot of slack. Oh if you don't like buying stuff made in China,..just don't buy it, but good luck finding that item stamped "made in the USA" anywhere. Walmart is not the demon behind that mess.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I used to frequent WM often. But my experiences got worse and worse, the poor employees are treated so badly that they pass that attitude on the the customer. The last time I shopped there wasn't really to shop. My MIL bought us tires for our car last year as a Christmas gift, and bought them there because of the warranty. The only times we go there now is to keep the warranty valid. Beyond that, its been a year since purchasing anything at that wretched store. When last we had the tires done, I actually went in....I was quickly reminded whey I don't shop there anymore. The employees, the whole store just wreeked of bad aura.

I don't shop there because of attitude, and the fact that they are undermining the whole of our country. Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave, I'm sure. I shop at all the local stores for groceries, clothing, etc. The only real 'chain' store we use is Walgreens for our prescriptions, and thats because we have no choice with our travels.

I'm sure there will be people who disagree with me, but there ya have it :)

Reaction score
Not only do they drive local businesses under, but they started the whole migration of manufacturers to China. On top of that their clothing is very cheaply made with a few brand name exceptions.

They opened a store 7 miles from us in Elizabeth. They had to make concessions though. No tires or automotive, no optical, limited groceries. We already have a Safeway, Big O tire and 2 opticals in town. What is weird is that there is a Subway in the store and one in town. Must be owned by the same person.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Not only do they drive local businesses under, but they started the whole migration of manufacturers to China. On top of that their clothing is very cheaply made with a few brand name exceptions.

They opened a store 7 miles from us in Elizabeth. They had to make concessions though. No tires or automotive, no optical, limited groceries. We already have a Safeway, Big O tire and 2 opticals in town. What is weird is that there is a Subway in the store and one in town. Must be owned by the same person.
I wonder what subsidy/political pull they got in exchanged for the concessions????

Reaction score
THEFAN said:
Big Daddy said:

I wonder what subsidy/political pull they got in exchanged for the concessions????
Probably no taxes for 3 years or so. Bought the Mayor a new house and the city council new pick up trucks.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I avoid Walmart whenever possible. I usually only shop there two or three times in a year. The main problem for me is the parking and the CROWDS of stupid people. Our Walmart is a super center and we also have a Sam's Club nearby. Sam's is better. I still can hardly stand it.

Latest posts