I am cursed when it comes to making bread.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now days I make 6 loaves of bread at a time in my Bosch, but I have tried bread machines. A couple of problems I could see with them were:

1. You have to follow the recipe for the amount of flour needed. This could be too much or too little depending on the humidity and the amount of moisture in the flour. Its easier to get it right by just adding flour while mixing until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl (no measuring) but thats hard to do with a bread machine.

2. Yeast does not like salt. I guess salt inhibits the growth. I start with water, honey, oil and yeast, and let that sit for 10 minutes to give the yeast a head start. Then I add 100% whole wheat flour, wheat gluten and the salt last, and mix, then knead. Ive always had good results doing it this way.

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Have you checked out the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day? I had a really nice bread machine that worked fine but I gave it to my mom after I got that book. It is so easy. I do kneed it a little more (2 minutes?) and I let it rise about 2 hours longer than what they say to get better texture and get that gluten working, otherwise it comes out a little heavy. Even if you don't kneed it though it still is plenty edible. I would say you're having a gluten issue where it's not getting to that stretchy point.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the artisan bread book. so far I have had no luck with it. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I got some bread flour today to see if that will make a difference. Wish me luck.