I am going back to work

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry it came to this, but good luck in your new venture. Might be more of us joining you due to this stock market decline...:(

i'm glad to say that i don't really follow the hype or day-to-day news. i've studied the market quite a lot over the life time i've been working, investing and saving along with when i retired from my main job many years ago (about 30yrs earlier than most people would consider it). it goes up and down. just hold to your longer-term plan of investing and that should mean you are buying more when the market is down if you are regularly investing.

i have worked part-time and a bit of full-time too, but eventually they became wrong for me so i quit those. in the future i might go back to part-time again, but at the moment things are ok with me doing what i love to do here. gardens, puttering about and whatnot.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I worked from 5:45 AM to 2 PM yesterday, off today, then two 12 hour shifts. The concrete floors are a killer. I have to find scrubs today, hope I can find a store open.

good shoes are critical, hard floors play hell on feet, ankles, knees, lower back... all the way up, the old song _the Ankle Bone is Connected to the ..._ is really true. working at the library in bad shoes helped me figure out how important they are. if you need to do stretches and some exercises (haha, yeah i know) it can help too. hang in there you know you got us rooting for ya tootsie! :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend of mine works as a Physical Therapist Aide - she helps support the patient. She is on her feet all day also and was complaining to one of the therapists about her feet hurting. She had bought 2 pair of specialty shoes ($$$) that were recommended by that therapist and was unhappy that they didn't stop her feet from hurting so bad at the end of the day. The therapist said to bring a second set of shoes and change them at lunch. My friend does that most of the time now and she says it does help.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also, having a quality set of custom orthotics can make a huge difference. As can sitting down when ever the opportunity arises. However, working in the field of physical therapy, during disease outbreaks, I would usually stand ALL DAY LONG, rather than sit on any surface in a resident's room. b/c to sit down meant carrying the microbes on my clothing from one chair to the next as I moved from room to room.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found two sets of scrubs today and a pair of Sketcher shoes for 25% off. I'm going to take them tomorrow and wear my farm shoes, Sketcher shape ups (I washed them LOL) I'll wear one pair, then switch. New shoes need breaking in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also, having a quality set of custom orthotics can make a huge difference. As can sitting down when ever the opportunity arises. However, working in the field of physical therapy, during disease outbreaks, I would usually stand ALL DAY LONG, rather than sit on any surface in a resident's room. b/c to sit down meant carrying the microbes on my clothing from one chair to the next as I moved from room to room.

if you have high arches i can say that arch supports can be a nice thing to get used to... :)